Report: Cars, Trucks Racking Up More Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This report includes synthetic oils as one of the reasons cars and trucks are living longer, going farther.

From Yahoo News:

"Back in the 1970s when Pat Goss was working in automotive repair, 100,000 miles was considered the benchmark of a car's longevity. Well-maintained Dodge Darts with more than 300,000 miles were a rarity. Now, with advanced technology, improved engines and synthetic oils, crossing the 100,000-mark on the odometer is not much cause for celebration."

"Auto industry officials say it underscores the strides made in engineering and quality control in recent years with a focus on longterm durability. Today's vehicles have more advanced engines, improved spark plugs, higher-performance synthetic oils and better exhaust systems."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060128/ap_on_bi_ge/a_car_s_life

It seems to me that we've had numerous reports of good maintenace with conventional oils providing about equal length car life.

Personally, I like synthetic oil in my cars but I realize they are not absolutely required for long engine life. What say you?

Kind of a fun little article.

I think it was written by somebody with some common misconceptions who probably got on the phone and amalgamated the opinions of others into his article.

I don't doubt synthetic has better properties, but we've amply seen on BITOG that in the real world it doesn't normally translate into better engine wear. Most of the VERY high mileage vehicles seem to have used dino.

I agree that vehicles are lasting much longer. I credit consistently good engine design, improvements in oil in general, and also better design of vehicles in general - they are not as likely to be falling apart when the engine only has 150k on it.

- Glenn

From the same article and of particular interest to the local "residents" ,"...Goss advises motorists to consider oil as "the lifeblood of the engine" and change it according to the owner's manual."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back