Report: Autorx and the sticky clutch in my Suzuki

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new to me '01 Suzuki SV650 with 19k miles. It had a sticky clutch. Felt like some of the plates were sticking together and only part of the clutch was disengaging.

I changed the oil (Rotella T) and adjusted the clutch lever/cable and experienced no change.

Since I have a few extra bottles of Autorx on the shelf I decided to give it a try. Per Autorx instructions I dumped the oil and added it to the sump. Within 50 miles the clutch already feels infinitely better.

I'll continue for the recomended cycle and do a flush cycle. I'm optimistic. This is a lot cheaper (easier) than new clutch plates and steels.

Report back when done.

Good information, nice to know
smile.gif
Did the PO mention anything about the clutch problems to you before the sale was complete?

Maybe the rx just thinned and lowered the friction coefficient? something that could have been done with just selecting a different oil.

Quote:

Maybe the rx just thinned and lowered the friction coefficient? something that could have been done with just selecting a different oil.

I can tell you from experience that Auto-RX will clean the clutch plates in automatic transmissions and eliminate converter shudder. It did it in my 97 Olds van which was developing a bad case of converter shudder at about 130,000 miles. One application of Auto-RX completely eliminated the shudder and at 160,000 miles shifts are as smooth as when it was brand new with absolutely no shudder on lockup.

usually clutch sticking on a wet motorcycle clutch is caused by grooves in the basket fingers. not because of any actual clutch plate/disc contamination.

i had this issue on my old honda bike. i ended up removing the backet and filing it down smooth. it fixed the problem perminantly.

The clutch was always sticky. Purchase price was adjusted accordingly.

After a few oil changes (2 with Rotella T, 1 with Mobil1 4T) and a few thousand miles of riding with no change in clutch feel I did the Autorx. I have also tried adjusting the clutch, that didn't work either.

It shifts smoother now too. Easier to find neutral as well. Before clutch was partially engaged and made shifting rough.

I haven't looked inside, but whatever the problem was seems to have gone away. And as long as it continues to ride the way it does now I have no intention of taking it apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back