Replacing the RTV sealed oil pan on 2004 Navigator

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
The 2004 Navigator I has a very minor oil leak. I suspect it is from the oil pan. When I went to remove the oil pan, I discovered the entire pan was connected to the block with gray silicone RTV. To the best of my knowledge, only four very small spots are supposed to get RTV applied when replacing the pan. When removing the blots that hold the pan, I discovered two front bolts were hand loose.

After trying everything with causing any damage, the pan has not budged. I worked OCONUS this week, and am on a flight home. I ordered two tools that are supposed to help with separating the gasket seal (Lisle 50210 Gasket Separator). I also ordered 100 plastic razor blades. The challenge is getting the tool inserted, the area does not allow easy access for the tool.

I kind of am kicking myself for doing this. The Navigator has leaked less than one quart in eight months/ four thousand miles, but I just don't like the leak... Hope I don't get into a position where the old pan simply won't come off (I am working under the SUV using jack stands), and I damage the existing pan so it can't be used again. Of course, I have a new pan and gasket.

Sometimes things are best left alone.... this may be the case, but I simply want everything right.

61Kdx6kGIxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
818jUUwWEML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Hammer in, then carefully hammer around the perimeter of the pan without gouging the block or the pan itself.

Depending on the material, either wire wheel the RTV off or use the Motorcraft RTV remover and plastic blades.

I had to use razor blades on a diff cover once because everything else was too thick to fit into the gap. Used a handful of blades around the perimeter and tapped them in carefully (Wear safety glasses) .

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Depending on the material, either wire wheel the RTV off or use the Motorcraft RTV remover and plastic blades.
Just a FYI, I ordered the Motorcraft RTV remover from Amazon. When I first searched for the remover on Amazon, the price came up at $27 and seven-10 days for shipping. I then did a google search for the remover, and now Amazon came back at $13.99 for the remover.

Funny how that works?

Just a FYI, I ordered the Motorcraft RTV remover from Amazon. When I first searched for the remover on Amazon, the price came up at $27 and seven-10 days for shipping. I then did a google search for the remover, and now Amazon came back at $13.99 for the remover.

Funny how that works?
That looks like a steel pan. Just wire wheel it off, then wash the pan with degreaser and a hose to remove all of the particles.

That looks like a steel pan. Just wire wheel it off, then wash the pan with degreaser and a hose to remove all of the particles.
I bought a new pan. When the engine was installed, I speculate the mechanic dropped the engine multiple times on the oil pan. These are not great pictures, but they show the damage to the oil pan.

I also purchased both a OEM and a Feldpro oil
PXL_20230114_204634400.jpg
PXL_20230114_204630726.jpg
PXL_20230114_204632581.jpg
pan gasket. I am going to inspect both and see which one looks better.

Is that an iron block? Any flex disk or wheel will clean it up fine as well as a carbide scraper. Aluminum? Gentle use of the scraper followed by a Scotchbrite pad.
I believe it is a steel block. Ford Intech 32v V8 5.4l

i use a putty knife and gentle hammer action to get oil and tranny pans off, haven't gouged anything yet. once you get about 1/2 the pan broke loose the rest of the rtv just lets go

I once used utility blades, the carbon steel trapezoidal ones and i also used a pair of smaller than normal vise grips. I locked the tip of the blade into the bottom of the jaws so it wouldn't spin when pulling it and used a small hammer to tap it through where i couldn't reach. There are thicker and thinner blades but the cheap whatever ones i used were super thin. The dewalt ones i also have are thicker and probably would've been more difficult.

Thanks for all the replies Gents.. I was getting nowhere, and even had the lisle tool fall from the pan and put a nice slit above my eye.

Went looking for a tool and found this gorilla cord, for cutting windshield silicone. Got the cord started, took a bit of time, but the gorilla cord worked in this case, as the pan does not leave easy access to blades, etc.

I watched a few YouTubes.on this challenge last week, nobody suggested a course of action of using a cutting cord.

PXL_20230121_002701432.jpg

Funny how that works?
Looks like two different item listings as I see the same thing. Both are ZC30A but the cheaper/quicker one is sold/shipped by Amazon while the one 2x the price is sold/shipped by PAC Parts.

Thanks for all the replies Gents.. I was getting nowhere, and even had the lisle tool fall from the pan and put a nice slit above my eye.

Went looking for a tool and found this gorilla cord, for cutting windshield silicone. Got the cord started, took a bit of time, but the gorilla cord worked in this case, as the pan does not leave easy access to blades, etc.

I watched a few YouTubes.on this challenge last week, nobody suggested a course of action of using a cutting cord.

View attachment 136468
I got to researching that -- I had no idea Gorilla cord was a thing or that it's made by Glass Technologies in my town. However I doubt they're actually manufacturing it in small town, CO. I guess I should swing by and find out....plus I kinda want a spool ;)

Back