Replacing Oil Pan?

DR1

Probably a very stupid question but I have a 2008 Nissan Titan with 146k miles on it. I have not seen any oil leaking on my driveway but here is my question. Is it recommended that the oil pan be replaced at a certain point in a vehicles life span due to metal shavings along with other forms of build up that could cause additional engine wear ?

Attachments

• IMG_4139 (1).JPG
    IMG_4139 (1).JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 5
No. The "shavings" you refer to are tiny particles held in suspension in the oil, and if you change the oil regularly you'll probably find there's nothing in the oil pan, unless you had something huge come off. I replaced the oil pan on my MG because it was dented and rusting badly on the outside, but despite that it was actually quite clean inside.

I p
No. The "shavings" you refer to are tiny particles held in suspension in the oil, and if you change the oil regularly you'll probably find there's nothing in the oil pan, unless you had something huge come off. I replaced the oil pan on my MG because it was dented and rusting badly on the outside, but despite that it was actually quite clean inside.
I purchased my truck approx 3 yrs ago with 115K miles on it. I have no earthly idea what the people before me had done regarding routine maint.

If you will sleep better, remove the pan and inspect. Expect to need some patience to wait for the silicone sealant to cure before you put fresh oil back into engine. If I was you, get a cheap $25 Amazon endoscope / boroscope camera that will allow you to put the camera both up the drainplug hole as well as into the valve cover. Any evidence of sludge will be in the valve covers.

I p

I purchased my truck approx 3 yrs ago with 115K miles on it. I have no earthly idea what the people before me had done regarding routine maint.
No worries......but.....If you are worried, go buy a magnetic drain plug for your oil pan.

FZ1 beat me to it. How has the truck done for you in the last 3 yrs? Just for grins, get a shop manual and see how many hours they allow for the job on your truck. Some require removing the engine

^^this^^
There'll be opportunity down the road to peek inside.
Get a foot or so length of thick sash cord. Let it drain well and insert it into the drain hole at your next oil change.
Twist it in place so it flops around. I bet it comes out gunk free.

Did the 2008 Titans have the same transmission cooler line failures at/in the radiator as the Frontiers did?

Is it recommended that the oil pan be replaced at a certain point in a vehicles life span
No. Your oil filter will catch any debris.

If you're worried about "stuff" that stays in the oil pan, after you drain the oil during an oil change, leave the drain plug out and add a quart (or 2 or 3) of oil and let it flow through. Very wasteful but not as wasteful as replacing a perfectly good oil pan.

Back