Replacing my Group 27 battery with Group 31 battery. Is that ok?

Yeah no problem...

I don't think JC went bankrupt... I believe JC sold off their battery manufacturing part of their business to Clarios.

Yeah the TS battery may well be a good option for you.

Just a another example of same battery different place and warranty length...

A group 24f value power battery made by East Penn in Walmart has a 1 yr free replacement warranty.. cost $52 plus tax now.... It also had a 624fmf battery number on the battery. Which means it is actually the Gold tier East Penn battery. And it weighs 41 pounds which verified that the Valuepower is the same exact battery as the East Penn battery.

The exact same battery at O Reilly's has a 2 yr free replacement warranty and cost $140.

The exact same battery at Federated Auto parts has a 3 yr free replacement warranty costs $117.

So... There are times where it is a circumstance where we are just paying for the warranty more than anything else. Same battery just different stickers put on and with different warranty lengths.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Yeah no problem...

I don't think JC went bankrupt... I believe JC sold off their battery manufacturing part of their business to Clarios.

Yeah the TS battery may well be a good option for you.

Just a another example of same battery different place and warranty length...

A group 24f value power battery made by East Penn in Walmart has a 1 yr free replacement warranty.. cost $52 plus tax now.... It also had a 624fmf battery number on the battery. Which means it is actually the Gold tier East Penn battery. And it weighs 41 pounds which verified that the Valuepower is the same exact battery as the East Penn battery.

The exact same battery at O Reilly's has a 2 yr free replacement warranty and cost $140.

The exact same battery at Federated Auto parts has a 3 yr free replacement warranty costs $117.

So... There are times where it is a circumstance where we are just paying for the warranty more than anything else. Same battery just different stickers put on and with different warranty lengths.

Good info. Thanks for sure.

I just checked my OEM battery this night. I bought it in 7/2016. The specs say it has only 675 CCA. I am quite impressed that it has lasted almost 4 years now. You can see the connections to my lights. 3 switches for 3 sets if offroad lights. And using it without the engine running is what has greatly reduced my battery's life. But 4 years is also a good lifespan for the oem battery.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The replacement Group 27 battery from Costco or Walmart is 810 CCA. That sounds a lot better than OEM with 675 CCA. Pus it comes with 3 years free replacement. I wish I could easily get ny hands on the Interstate battery. I have to figure something out about getting that before I settle for Walmart or make the jump to Group 31 battery with 950 CCA.

I will check the measurements and see if it will be an easy fit or not. If it is an easy fit, I may be tempted to go for the 950 CCA battery with only a one year free replacement warranty. While hoping it last me more than 3 years before dying on me.

Based on the way you use a battery I would get a dual purpose (starting/deep cycle) marine battery. And if possible keep it on a charger/maintainer when not in use.

I finally found the battery I have decided to buy and install this weekend. Sold at Sam's club. It is a Group 27 and has 840 CCA and made by East Penn.

East Penn is said to make very good batteries. So, I am hoping this would be a good battery. I read somewhere that it is a rebranded Deka battery. It also comes with 3 years free replacement.

I placed it next to a Group 31 battery and realized I would need to make some modifications for a Group 31 battery to fit well in my car. So, I will buy the Duracell and install one day this weekend.

I went and bought the Duracell battery this morning. I think it was built on 4/20, as per the stamp on the battery.

I replaced my old battery with the new one. The battery tray was really very dirty and my battery looked like it was leaking underneath. Something I could never had known if I had not taken the battery out myself.

Take a look at my battery tray. Truly dirty. I went to work with baking soda and water and cleaned the tray up. Installed the new battery and what a difference!

My car starts strong now. I can tell the difference now when my car starts. Stock oem battery came with 675CCA. This Duracell comes with 840CCA. So, I am hoping it last me more than 3 years. And I am particularly glad I could clean my battery tray. I wonder if other people who have never changed their batteries themselves have a dirty tray like mine but just do not know because they have not lifted the battery to see what is underneath.

It is all good now and car cranks up a lot better!

Look at this leak. Looks bad.

Look at how dirty my battery tray was. I am glad I got to put a new battery today.

All cleaned up with water and baking soda.

New and fresh battery. Car cranks now a lot better. Significant difference.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Good job man ^^^^^^^^
3 year free replacement warranty and $100 plus tax ain't too shabby...

Thanks man. Good warranty indeed. I paid $111.XX out the door. That is after returning my oem battery to them and getting my core price back.

My oem battery had 675CCA. This battery has 840CCA and claims to be a a better battery. So, I am hoping to get more than 3 years of use from this for sure.

You know I thought about something. Almost every car owner do oil changes atleast twice every year but most people ignore their batteries for a long time or until their cars die on them. Now I have decided if I remember, every 3 years, I may just go ahead and spend say $120 to get a new battery. Something like a preventive maintenance, getting a fresh battery. Just as we get fresh oil, new air filter and other things we regularly replace. I think getting a new battery every 3 or 4 years is not a bad idea.

I think we all should check that battery tray every now and then to make sure it is not as dirty as mine was. Or to make sure one does not have a battery that is leaking acid like mine was probably doing after about 4 years of use so far.

Last edited:
The 31 is a lot of battery if you had the physical space. It is typically used (multiples in parallel) for semi trucks, large tractors, and construction equipment. For that market a 1 year warranty is typical.

Back