Replacing Michelin LTX M/S on Toyota Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma with 205 75 R15 Michelin LTX M/S tires that are getting down close to their wear bars after 86,000 miles. They have been the perfect tires on this truck and I'd like to replace them with the same type, but Michelin no longer makes tires in this size.

What would be the recommended tire to give the same kind of service I've gotten out of these Michelins? I don't mind spending a good amount to get good tires.

thats almost a dead tire size

if you step up to 215/75r15 you can get
Firestone destination LE2
or quite a few other decent options.

If you want the oem size you only have a few Car tires and General Grabber AT2 as options.

Last edited:
That size seems to limit your tire choices quite a bit. Have you considered going increasing the size of the tire to get more options? According to Discount Tire, you could go up to 225/70/R15. It would give more truck tire options like the General Grabber HTS or Firestone Destination LE2 and you might not need new wheels.

the truck has 15x6 wheels, while a 225/75r15 or 225/70r15 will fit.. that is the max width recommended for those wheels.

(and why I suggested a 215/75r15)

Last edited:
Thanks to both.

It looks like there are lots of good brand options for 225 75 R15 too, and that is a suggested size for some models of early 2000s Tacomas. I think they would fit in my wheel wells fine, but I wonder if the rims would work with them?

Oh, Rand, your answer crossed in the mail with my question. I'll focus on 225 75 R15s.

I wonder what brand would be the equivalent of the excellent Michelins? Toyo?

Why not LTX MS 2? If you liked the first set, why not keep with that line?

Michelin makes the LTX M/S2 in P235/75R15, with a recommended rim width of 6-8". It is a fair bit wider (and a bit taller) than your OEM tire though, and would skew your speedo a bit.

Originally Posted By: ronrackley
I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma with 205 75 R15 Michelin LTX M/S tires that are getting down close to their wear bars after 86,000 miles. They have been the perfect tires on this truck and I'd like to replace them with the same type, but Michelin no longer makes tires in this size.

What would be the recommended tire to give the same kind of service I've gotten out of these Michelins? I don't mind spending a good amount to get good tires.

Sad to see your size go away...we have the same issue with our 04 Wrangler's 15" wheels....not many left in that size, and many are trailer tires.

You could always go slightly larger, 235/75R15, and the LTX comes in that size:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+A%2FT+2

It would be about a 6% larger diameter:
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator/205-75R15/235-75R15

Alternatively, if you wanted to change to 16" rims, the 235/60R16 is almost identical circumference to the ones on your truck.
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator/205-75R15/235-70R15/225-65R16/235-60R16

Several tires of that size available, including Michelin Primacy and BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain. I have the BFG on the F150, very solid tire IMO, but mine are 10ply ymmv.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=235%2F&ratio=60&diameter=16

Best of luck whichever way you decide to go!

EDIT: and while I was crafting (and repeatedly editing) my overlong post, most of the comments became repeats!
smile.gif

Last edited:
I've got the Firestone destination LE2's on a work truck (Jeep Cherokee) in the 225 size.

It's a good tire with low noise and very good wet handling characteristics.

It falls well short of the Michelins in snow, however.

On the plus side, the Firestones are more value priced in my neck of the woods.

I wouldn't hesitate in putting the Firestones on one of my vehicles.

I recently went with Firestone Destination's on my V8 4Runner. They are quiet like my original Michelin Cross Terrain (discontinued) tires and appear to handle well on windy roads in my neck of the woods. The Firestone dealers will deal on the price as well.

Another vote here for Destination LE2's. Excellent tire, quiet, good traction on dry roads and in the rain too, I have about 18K on mine and they are hardly worn at all. They handle very well and the ride quality is very good.

Originally Posted By: Rand
If you want the oem size you only have a few Car tires and General Grabber AT2 as options.

The AT2 is a good tire and will keep your speedometer accurate.

I am exactly in your situation....
I have a 2004 Tacoma that has had nothing but LTXs on it as long as I have owned it.... 157K.

I currently have about 65K on my second set of LTXs..... And have really been debating this decision.

Most people on this board suggest Destination LE2s...... But I am currently in the concerned position on these as I worry about the siping changes as miles accumulate.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet as I think I have one more winter left.... But when the time comes I am leaning toward either BF Goodrich Long Trail Tours in 215/75r15 or Toyo Open Country HTs in 225/75r15. This is mostly due to what the tires to look like as they have accumulated mileage on them.... There was a very good post about this a few months ago.

Anyway, let us know where you end up on this... And how the decision works out. Some of us are really interested.

Dan

I would go with the Bfgoodrich long trl tours or u could go michelin defender in 215 70 15.

another option is cooper dicoverer ht in 205 or 215 which has a mir staring the 27th.

F'stone LE2's on the tundra. check the ratings on tirerack, they used to rate the same (slightly higher actually) than the michelins. I just drove to work with an empty bed and a downpour, no drama, no slipping. ~25,000 on mine, half tread remaining. They see heavy towing a few times per year. Drive well and are silent.

I rolled the dice and put Firestone Destination A/T 215 75 R 15 tires on the Tacoma. I don't know if they will last like the Michelin 205s that I took off did, but my initial impression is that they are a perfect tire for it. They are a bit better on wet pavement than any of the tires I'd had on it before, including cornering and starting from a dead stop on pavement with standing water, and I'm surprised how quiet and smooth they are at road speed for the type of tread they have.

I found by experimenting that they like to run higher pressure than the 29 PSI in the door. I tried 32 PSI and the steering felt noticeably better. I tried 35 PSI and it felt a little better still and the ride was good, so that's what I'm running. It is about 80% of the 44 PSI sidewall maximum and I figure that is a good place to leave them.

Thanks for all the advice I got here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back