Replacing key with chip

I have lost my only key to my 01 Ford 150. I believe it has a chip in it. Anybody know how I can get it replaced?

You will need to have the trucks computer re-programed.
Dealer can do it for a nice hefty price.
Many independent shops can do it as well for about half the cost.
Both of these would require a tow though.
Some locksmiths have to correct software to do it mobile, but most do not.

When you get it done, make sure you get 2 chipped keys (but not cloned keys) and then make more copies yourself afterwards.

There is some software out there you can do it yourself with also (Forscan) and you need a special OBD II adapter.

Most locksmiths will need both keys to program it. Dealership is probably the only option here. If the doors are locked you can get a key made by vin on just a regular mechanical key because the chip isn’t required to open the door.

That is an 8 cut key and I can usually eyeball the key cuts on them just by looking at them. I build all the cylinders here for the 8 cut cylinders. The issue with cutting a key off code for something older, no offense OP, is the ignition cylinder is usually worn. Especially the 1L3Z-11582-A that is in your truck. For whatever reason they get worn a bunch, maybe from being in work trucks. I strongly suggest to people with one key that are afraid of losing it to at the very least get one of those cheap non chipped keys cut and hide it somewhere so they can at least get in the vehicle and let the tow truck operator unlock the steering column.

I have lost my only key to my 01 Ford 150. I believe it has a chip in it. Anybody know how I can get it replaced?
Have you played around with Forscan? I have heard of people using it to add new keys to the system and remove old keys. I don't think you need a special OBDII dongle, but you need a decent one, not those cheap $5 ones. And as mentioned before, the software is free but only works on Ford/Mazda. When I had to add a key to the system most Ford dealers wanted one hour but I found one that just did it for a half hour of labor as I already had the key cut and just needed it programmed to the system.

Locksmith is your option here. Ford only supplies key codes to dealers going back 10 years from the assembly date. Currently there are 2011 vehicles that I cannot get key codes for.
Yes, a good locksmith who specializes in automotive can make you a key no problem. Around here it would probably be $150-200. Go ahead and get two, they probably won't charge much more for an additional one.

Have you played around with Forscan? I have heard of people using it to add new keys to the system and remove old keys. I don't think you need a special OBDII dongle, but you need a decent one, not those cheap $5 ones. And as mentioned before, the software is free but only works on Ford/Mazda. When I had to add a key to the system most Ford dealers wanted one hour but I found one that just did it for a half hour of labor as I already had the key cut and just needed it programmed to the system.
I used Forscan to program a key for my pickup. A locksmith cut the new key from old key and I programmed it. But without a key to cut a new key from you need to go to a locksmith.

Ask locksmith how often they adjust and calibrate their cutting machines. Find one who does it every 6 months. He is probably a good locksmith.

I bought a 2016 Escape key on amazon, and had a lock locksmith in San Antonio cut and program it for $50.

He said no guarantees since I supplied the key. They use a laser cut machine, and a programmer.

Very simple process.

I use a locksmith to cut my keys and I use Forscan to program it and backups. You'll need two keys to do it. Below is what I connect to my laptop to program my Ford keys. I've done it on my Focus and King Ranch. If you go this route, make sure you are using a good, quality key. You can order OEM key blanks online or a reputable aftermarket brand such as ILCO.

I went as far as to delete the old keys from the computer (since both came with one key) and reprogrammed from scratch. That way, there are no worries about keys floating out there that could start up my vehicles. (Although my Focus is the only one I bought locally.).

Edit: It just hit me that you said you lost your only key. Take your registration and/or title to the dealer and hope they can cut a new key with the VIN.

Last edited:
Ford supplies Dealers with key codes going back 10 years but as a licensed locksmith I can access key codes back to 1997. To program keys on a Ford you need 2 keys. I do that job for 150 bucks plus whatever the key code costs me from Ford (dont remember off the top of my head, yeah, we have to pay for it and pass it along). Thats for 2 chip keys cut and programmed to the car. If you want remotes or want to upgrade to something like a flip key or a later model key with remote built into the head that can be done at an additional cost. A qualified locksmith or an independent shop with a locksmith license is who is going to be able to fix this car.

I use a locksmith to cut my keys and I use Forscan to program it and backups. You'll need two keys to do it. Below is what I connect to my laptop to program my Ford keys. I've done it on my Focus and King Ranch. If you go this route, make sure you are using a good, quality key. You can order OEM key blanks online or a reputable aftermarket brand such as ILCO.

I went as far as to delete the old keys from the computer (since both came with one key) and reprogrammed from scratch. That way, there are no worries about keys floating out there that could start up my vehicles. (Although my Focus is the only one I bought locally.).

Edit: It just hit me that you said you lost your only key. Take your registration and/or title to the dealer and hope they can cut a new key with the VIN.

Ford only goes back 10 years for key codes to dealers. It is based on the assembly date too as I have had a vehicle I was unable to get a code for that was 10 years old plus 2 days past the date.

Ford supplies Dealers with key codes going back 10 years but as a licensed locksmith I can access key codes back to 1997. To program keys on a Ford you need 2 keys. I do that job for 150 bucks plus whatever the key code costs me from Ford (dont remember off the top of my head, yeah, we have to pay for it and pass it along). Thats for 2 chip keys cut and programmed to the car. If you want remotes or want to upgrade to something like a flip key or a later model key with remote built into the head that can be done at an additional cost. A qualified locksmith or an independent shop with a locksmith license is who is going to be able to fix this car.
As I recall on my 2001 Ford Taurus, you didn't need to do anything fancy to program a new remote, just need to follow some key sequences to program a new remote.

As I recall on my 2001 Ford Taurus, you didn't need to do anything fancy to program a new remote, just need to follow some key sequences to program a new remote.
This is not a fob, just a key with a chip in the “handle “.

Where do I get those blank keys?

You will need to have the trucks computer re-programed.
Dealer can do it for a nice hefty price.
Many independent shops can do it as well for about half the cost.
Both of these would require a tow though.
Some locksmiths have to correct software to do it mobile, but most do not.

When you get it done, make sure you get 2 chipped keys (but not cloned keys) and then make more copies yourself afterwards.

There is some software out there you can do it yourself with also (Forscan) and you need a special OBD II adapter.
+1 for FORScan and it's PATS programming abilities

If you wanted to be really cheap, you could eBay a new ignition barrel with keys, and DIY the programming

But then your keys will only work in the ignition, and I don't know if you have keyless or are amenable to that limitation

The proper repair would be to procure a new barrel, and bring an existing lock from the vehicle to the locksmith, so he can rekey the new barrel to your old locks around the vehicle

Reinstall, and DIY programming

This is the cheapest adapter that I recommend for use with FORScan

OBDLink EX FORScan OBD Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081VQVD3F/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_Q8GRRAQRZ18FZ2G3DRM3

If it's got power locks, and you don't have a remote, it takes mere seconds and maybe $10 for a pair of remotes

There's no reason anyone should be driving a Ford without a remote fob, when they are so cheap and easy to program

Back