Replacing Ipod battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Ipod Classic, 80 Gig model, it's about 2 1/2 years old now. I think they call it the 6th generation Classic. Anyway, I used it yesterday, no problems at all. Today I went to use it and it said "Connect to Power" and acted like it has a dead battery. It happened at work, so I plugged it in the Ipod interface in my truck, it still wouldn't power up. It's plugged in my computer now and seems to be charging, at least the display says "connected" now.

Anyone here with an Ipod have this same problem? If so, has anyone replaced the battery in their Ipod? How hard was it? I found some tutorials online explaining it, I can handle it but would rather not open it up if I don't need to. I called Apple and they said it may just have run down overnight and needs a charge or maybe there is a software error and Itunes can reset it. They also said it could very well be a dead battery and if I ship it to them it will cost about $100.00 to replace the battery. There's a Batteries Plus store near here that has the battery for $29.95.

I realize this is probably an obscure subject but any help or info is greatly appreciated.

These guys have some good parts for most iPods.

They're aftermarket, of course, but reasonably priced.

What generation is your iPod? If it's this one, the battery and all necessary wires are about $15.

I haven't dealt with them for batteries, but I've installed their headphone jack assembly, and it fits (and works) perfectly. Buy with confidence.

OK so it has been plugged into my PC for a while, and now it have a full charge on the battery indicator now and it's playing like it always did.

I think what happened was when I left work yesterday I put it on pause instead of turning it completely off. Then when I plugged it in to the interface in my truck I didn't get it plugged in completely. When I use it in my truck, my radio takes over the thumbwheel controls and charges the Ipod battery too. I didn't listen to it last night coming home. I think it sat in my truck on pause all night long, and when I left work the battery was probably at half a charge. Plus it was very cold here last night, low temp this morning was 48 degrees, all of which probably ran the battery down to nothing. It is playing fine now so hopefully that is all that went wrong.

Ifixit.com is a really good site. That's where I found the best tutorial on replacing the battery. Be sure to tell your friend thanks for me Rationull.

Thanks for the help here.

I replaced the battery of my wife's old ipod mini about an year ago - took me about 30 min. (most of it spent getting the ipod open) ...i got the replacement battery from amazon for about $15 i think. It wasn't hard to do. I made a thread about it and posted on bitog - should come up on a search.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Plus it was very cold here last night, low temp this morning was 48 degrees,

Sorry I had to laugh at that.

Glad your ipod is working again.

The windchill after the Thurs night cleveland browns game was something like minus 26F

and I know thats not as cold as say MN or montana.

Last edited:
OT:
speaking of cold:
I left my PDA in the car overnight and temps went down to 22F and when I turned it on it said "do not charge battery until it returns to normal temp" etc - hehe

I think it's ok now, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back