Replacing A/C in '82 Mustang, converting to R134a

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will soon have trouble getting R134a. It will soon be banned as cars have been forced to switch to R1234yf since 2016. The problem is not that R1234yf does not cool as good, because it does cool as good. The problem is that it will not be as easy to retrofit from R134a or R12 to R1234yf as it is to retrofit from R12 to R134a.

BTW FWIW, R1234yf is flammable.

I have two very similar cars.
2015 Sonata with R134a and a 2018 Sonata with R1234yf. Both work GREAT. Ice cold air (40F) from the vents.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
You will soon have trouble getting R134a.

Oh great! Now I gotta start stockpiling R134a while I can.

Just a curious question: Anybody know of anybody who's done a R134 to R12 conversion? It would be interesting to know if that's even possible.

From what I'm gathering, (I've read so much about this in the last 72 hours) anything is possible as long as you swap out all the o-rings and flush the system really well.

R12 can be bought/charged in Mexico. You live in Texas just call a shop on the other side and get it recharged in another country.

Last edited:
I haven't really determined what is wrong with the system. The compressor cycles on and off in quick bursts, which I assume means it's low on R12. But that's far from being a professional diagnosis. If I do take it somewhere to diagnose, there's nothing they can do to fix it, as nobody stocks, or installs R12.

I haven't committed to converting it, because everything I've bought can be run on R-12. I'm just on unfamiliar turf buying "banned" chemicals on Ebay and finding someone willing to install it.

I have no idea what kind of trouble I could get into by buying this stuff on E-bay, so I went with the route of "least" resistance. I'll probably be cursing my decision when it's 100 degrees outside, but I don't see a viable, sustainable option.

Again, R-12 isn't that hard to deal with. Just get an EPA 608 cert and buy it.

Lots of shops in hot climates still service it. In cooler climates maybe not as much.

Still not a big deal.

Originally Posted By: WylieCoyote
So the switch on the drier would be low, and if there's a switch on the compressor, it would be high?

Can't even see where electrical plugs into the compressor. Must be on the bottom.

I guess I'll start my hunt for a drier with a switch.

If those are pictures of your car......It's already been converted to 134a.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: WylieCoyote
So the switch on the drier would be low, and if there's a switch on the compressor, it would be high?

Can't even see where electrical plugs into the compressor. Must be on the bottom.

I guess I'll start my hunt for a drier with a switch.

If those are pictures of your car......It's already been converted to 134a.

I was thinking that too - R12 uses simple screw-on fittings with schraeders inside... r134a uses a large quick connect fitting. That's the thing with the red top in the bottom pic.

R-12 would be smaller and perhaps a metal cap.

If that's the case, redoing with R-134 is going to be about how it is now.

Id STRONGLY suggest that you take it to a shop to verify it IS 134, then if it is, get the to remove and refill by mass.

That will help you understand how it performs for a marginal fee. If you're ok with that, then recover and replace. If not, do it with R-12.

Your car has aftermarket AC! It has the Huge York compressor from the early 70's. It should have had a FS6 which is a small round compressor or possibly a HR980. Many parts you order may not work if your ordering for factory ac. Let the shop deal with finding parts, you will be constantly returning stuff since its aftermarket ac. The clutch uses 1 wire.I can see it in one of your pics.

Its already got r134a adapters on it

Last edited:
I've made an appointment at a small independent AC shop. I'm going to have him charge it with whatever he believes is in it and we'll see how it behaves. At the very least it should remain running for longer than it does. It literally cycles for 2 seconds at a time.

According to all sources, that giant compressor is a factory part. Remember that this is the I6, not the V8. The compressors for the V8 are round.

I got my 609 certification thru MACS so I could buy R12 when I first got my 92 Cavalier. I was able to buy an almost full 50 lb tank of R12 some years ago so I've kept the Cavalier R12.

Wayne

Do not put R-12 into a system that has been converted, if PAG oil is present the R-12 will chemically react with it and turn it to sludge.

Also it should be noted that mixtures of the two refrigerants perform worse than either one alone. So know what is in there, and don't mix.

Heard back from the A/C shop yesterday. They added some refrigerant (I forgot to ask if it had been converted) and everything started functioning normally, but the factory compressor has a leak, so they're replacing it, along with the condenser, drier, and lines. They have to have the pressure line custom-made, as I was never able to source one, even though the liquid lines are plentiful online. Hopefully it cools well enough to tolerate driving it in the Texas summer. If not, she goes up for sale. Can't be sweating in traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back