Replacing 2011 Subaru Outback Sparkplugs

In both my Audi's, B5 S4 and B6 A4 both cars called for 40k plug changes. Though my old 95 Pathfinder called for something like 105k if I remember correctly. My 2 new Subarus call for 60k/60m replacement. If I have to follow that schedule, 60 months will happen long before 60k. My wife's Honda goes by the MM and I think it popped on around 105k.
They will be fine. they will look Like new - if you engine is in good tune with good fuel and oil.
We are at 80K on the 2017 Crosstrek and the car runs as good as new.
Not touching them unless there is a misfire count going up.
these plugs a over 20 buck each and I bet the dealer will charge 1.5 hours to install them
So that is about 200 bucks.

Look at the pictures of mine that's 10 years and almost 70K miles
They look about 1 month old with absolutely NO gap erosion or wear.

They will be fine. they will look Like new - if you engine is in good tune with good fuel and oil.
We are at 80K on the 2017 Crosstrek and the car runs as good as new.
Not touching them unless there is a misfire count going up.
these plugs a over 20 buck each and I bet the dealer will charge 1.5 hours to install them
So that is about 200 bucks.

Look at the pictures of mine that's 10 years and almost 70K miles
They look about 1 month old with absolutely NO gap erosion or wear.
I just have to be careful because I have the 100k/10yr warranty. This is something I would need to talk to Subaru about. Could they void my warranty because I didn't change plugs? If I did have them done I would have my mechanic do it. He is much cheaper. Me, I have no patience for this! ;-) Work and 2 kids. No time!

I know when I spoke to the dealer and SOA asking them about oil changes and low miles as opposed to months in service they told me I had to follow their schedule even if I had 1k miles on the oil.

Not unless you get an excessive misfire code and it damages the converter.
You should get a flashing MIL check engine if that happens.
SoA is just throwing a nice meaty bone to the Dealer Service Center

Are not plugs covered under the Cal Emission warranty?

Not sure. I live in NJ.

My plan for the dealer is to drop in once in a while for a OC and an inspection just to have a record with them but either do the rest myself or have my local guy handle stuff. Cheaper, closer and easier. Just bought an oil extractor so now I can do changes without lifting the car.

Leave it to Subaru that’s why I hate working on them. Don’t feel bad I don’t have a garage either I do go to where I went to school occasionally and use the lift I just can’t do it while students are there so it’s usually later in the evening. Hopefully when I get another job I will have a lift again lol.
I take it you havent worked on many subaru? since they are all horizontally opposed some work can be a pita.
on some engines you have to unbolt an engine mount so you can jack the engine up enough for access to the spark plugs.

I take it you havent worked on many subaru? since they are all horizontally opposed some work can be a pita.
on some engines you have to unbolt an engine mount so you can jack the engine up enough for access to the spark plugs.
No not many but a few

Not sure. I live in NJ.

My plan for the dealer is to drop in once in a while for a OC and an inspection just to have a record with them but either do the rest myself or have my local guy handle stuff. Cheaper, closer and easier. Just bought an oil extractor so now I can do changes without lifting the car.
You don't really have to lift it with 8in. + of ground clearance, and there is a
porthole to access the drain plug in the undertray.

It's better to let the oil drain out fast and hot to wash the detritus off the bottom of the pan.

I'm approaching 70 y.o, the exercise is good.

But I can completely understand the charm of an easy 1/2 hour top-of-the car OCI.
That top side oil filter mount has to be carefully cleaned to prevent grit from getting into the engine.

Back