Replacement Tire Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's 2006 Honda CRV needs new tires and I was wondering if anyone had opinions on:

Future 2000LTE
Hankook I Pike W406
Definity EX600

All are offered at Pep Boys for relatively the same price. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

I think both the first and third are made by Cooper.

Really, I'd buy a Costco/Sams membership and get some better tires for probably the same price. Especially since you'll be seeing some snow (I assume) in PA.

What are the original tires on the CRV?

I have a BJs membership and with the buy 3 get 1 free, Pep Boys seems to have the better price.

The original tires are BF Goodrich and completely worn at 35K. She totes the two kids around in the CRV and is extremely cautious so there is no reason they should be this worn so soon.

I would skip them all. We used a few different tires onour CRV, notably Yoko TRZ and Falken 912. They are somewhat similar, with the TRZ wearing like iron. The new Eagle GT, General Altimax RT and others are excellent. Post your size and let's look at some better options.

"Pep Boys seems to have the better price"

Well, if that's all your criteria is then you've probably come to the wrong place for advice. It's not really fair to compare a Michelin (a high quality tire) to a generic brand.

There are some good, cheap tires that probably aren't much more than what you're paying Pepboys, and safetly alone would make the additional money spent worth it. Not to say anything for the treadwear rating, conforminty and road noise issues that can come with cheap tires. The General Altimx, Kumho KR21, even Fuzion HRI get good reviews around here and are pretty cheap.

Check out tirerack.com or roadwaywholesaletire.com, add in shipping and about 60 bucks to have four tires mounted at wal-mart and see if you can't do better for the same price.

go michelin with the current offer at costco/sams they are the same price bfgoodriches (also a great tire)
x radials are good value very impressive traction

Cheap tires aren't really cheap. You'll get more noise, rougher ride and problems down the road like difficulty in balancing, slipped belts. Is your time and safety worth the price savings? My dad tried the Pep Boys Futura route once and after needing 2 replaced within the first 15k miles for bubbles he finally realized and went back to name brands like Goodyear or Michelin. I prefer Goodyear, myself but that's just based on my life long experiences. I hated the Michelins that came on an 2001 Aurora I had and replaced them with Goodyears but my new CTS has Michelins and they are really nice tires. Today I just replaced the tires on my Denali. I've got the 20" tires from the factory and the tires were Goodyear Eagle LS. Very good tire, quiet and I got 42k on them...could have gone to 50k but with a trip coming up I preferred to replace them all. I was looking at the Falcon tires but with the $80 Goodyear instant cash and a rebate, I got the Goodyear tires again....I would have only saved about 60.00 with the cheaper no name tire anyway. So shop around and you will probably be able to get a better name brand tire for a really good price.

Aren't those iPikes winter tires?

I hate my Kumhos (Solus KR21). After 20,000 miles they are very loud, rough riding, poor in wet conditions, and almost impossible to keep balanced. But they were cheap, and initially they were good. They just haven't aged well.

Don't use that Pep Boys junk.

Wait until a more reputable place has sales and purchase a top quality tire. Listen to what the others have told you here.

Pep Boys tires are the worst. They are farmed out to the lowest bidder and come in shaped like stop signs. When I worked there all we did was hear complaints about them.

If you love your wife and children, you should use name brand tires.

I find that OE tires never last long. Must be the 'low-bid' affect.

Many tire shops will match online prices.

Every close call that I've had would've been accidents with generic tires or brakes. They two components should never be skimped on.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Pep Boys tires are the worst. They are farmed out to the lowest bidder and come in shaped like stop signs. When I worked there all we did was hear complaints about them.

I'm afraid to ask who makes those Futura tires...

Wonder if I should be worried that they carry Cooper tires.

Lately, I've seen very few Cooper tires on anything around here...

Originally Posted By: hate2work

The general Altimax tires are a very good tire and value priced at tirerack, I would put them on my short list to check out.

Ditto.

Not everyone can afford to put their family in a Mercedez S-Class.

But come on, save a little,shop a little,maybe haggle a little and at least put the Altimax on your wife's CRV.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I am going to go with the Yoko TRZs and stay as far away from Pep Boys as possible. For an auto novice, all your advice was extremely helpful.

I have the Michelin X Radial in the same size (215/65R16) on our minivan, and they're EXCELLENT tires. That's the third set of those tires I've owned (on various vehicles). I keep going back for more. Especially with the $70 instant savings now (at Sam's, don't know about BJs). Can't beat 'em.

I also have the TRZs on my Corolla, and they're excellent tires. I'd say the Michelins will ride softer, and the TRZs will handle better. It's hard to compare with the two tires on two different types of vehicles, but that's my impression nonetheless.

Originally Posted By: Spagett
My wife's 2006 Honda CRV needs new tires and I was wondering if anyone had opinions on:

Future 2000LTE
Hankook I Pike W406
Definity EX600

All are offered at Pep Boys for relatively the same price. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

I know you didn't mention them in your original post, but Kumho makes excellent tires for the price. I have/had several sets on our family vehicles and I've liked them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back