Replacement engine??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what would be a direct swap for the following engine in a old MTD snow blower.

tecumseh: H50-65201H

I wouldn't bother repowering that MTD with a tecumseh replacement unless it was a freebe. You could repower with a new 'Honda look-a-like' 6.5hp for just over $100. I've seen a few old school Ariens blowers repowered with Chinese OHC engines now. They throw snow like a mofo.

Joel

Quote:
'Honda look-a-like' 6.5hp for just over $100

Thanks, where would I find one of these?

Sam's Club, [censored]'s, Harbor Freight Tools, Pep Boys, or if you want to mail-order, eBay is a good source. I mail-ordered a few generators from this outfit. Excellent service: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OHV-6-5-HP-6-5HP...1QQcmdZViewItem

Oops, that censored thing is 'Bee Jays'.
grin2.gif

Joel

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I assume that engine has the same bolt pattern and relative shaft location?

I want to repower it with a dirct bolt on replacement for my dad. His old Tecumseh is a bear to start, you pull the cord and the machine moves too, his also doesn't have a primer bulb.

Your best bet would be to run to a store near you that carries them & take some rough measurements. You'd probably have to re-drill a mounting hole or two on the snowblower, possibly shim, etc.. No 'exact' science needed for snowblowers. In reality though, you don't want to throw lots of bucks into an old MTD. You might be better off getting your dad something new(er) with electric start. OHV engines pull start way easier as well IMO.

Joel

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Chinese knock offs are notoriously short lived.

I wouldn't expect the world for ~$150, nor am I a huge Chinese engine proponent, but short lived is debatable. Run with a HDEO that's changed regularly, I've seen these engines do well in commercial service.

Joel

You'll also need to make sure your engine will operate without an air cleaner. An engine that is spec-ed out and jetted with one won't work in the snow...you'll load it up with water, which will turn to ice, then it won't run.

Snowblower engines are shrouded to retain heat and protect the carberator from snow injestion.
You need that.
A short block may work if not overly expensive.

If you do decide to go with a 'non-snowblower' replacement engine and a wet/frozen/plugged air filter poses a problem for your usage, just pull out the air filter element.

Joel

New engines burn lean. No air cleaner will make it burn leaner. Running it in the cold will make it even more more lean.

Please recognize that risk when you're spending your own money.

Originally Posted By: SD26
..Please recognize that risk when you're spending your own money.

Again, I'm not just pulling this stuff out of the air. I'm simply giving the OP some alternatives to re-powering an old snowblower. Alternatives that I know work. These engines will also run with or without an air cleaner element. We're certainly not talking about precision air/fuel management machines here.
LOL.gif

Joel

End up picking up a Pep-boys 6.5hp chinese clone for $100 and bolting in it's place.

The bolt pattern is probably standardized, so that most any engine will work (as long as you match the orientation (horizontal shaft vs. vertical shaft).

I found a '99 model Lawn-Boy in the neighborhood left for dead with a 4-stroke Tecumseh LEV-100 engine. The engine didn't run right at all, and I don't like Tecumseys anyway. I had a spare Honda GCV160 engine in the shop, so I mounted it on the Lawn-Boy. Excellent swap, was perfect. Even the transmission drive pulley and operator presence bail cable mounted right up. Here is a webpage showing that swap:

http://www.jnjhome.net/ope/kermit.htm

Mine went easy, and I'm pretty sure it'll be an easy swap for you as well. Just take a few measurements of the bolt circle and crankshaft plunge depth (PTO). Most engine manufacturers provide this data.

I'm sure any engine maker that wants to sell motors to American mower makers would make it as easy as possible to switch over.
So they use the standard bolt pattern the American engines use.
For the last few years, the better grade Lawn Boys all use the Honda engine. Green shroud instead of red, of course.

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
The bolt pattern is probably standardized, so that most any engine will work (as long as you match the orientation (horizontal shaft vs. vertical shaft).

I found a '99 model Lawn-Boy in the neighborhood left for dead with a 4-stroke Tecumseh LEV-100 engine. The engine didn't run right at all, and I don't like Tecumseys anyway. I had a spare Honda GCV160 engine in the shop, so I mounted it on the Lawn-Boy. Excellent swap, was perfect. Even the transmission drive pulley and operator presence bail cable mounted right up. Here is a webpage showing that swap:

http://www.jnjhome.net/ope/kermit.htm

Mine went easy, and I'm pretty sure it'll be an easy swap for you as well. Just take a few measurements of the bolt circle and crankshaft plunge depth (PTO). Most engine manufacturers provide this data.

Great write up in the link. I love that people take the time to create DIY's like this on the net. It helps schmucks like me to tackle projects like this.

Yes, I'm looking for one of the green shrouds to complete my swap to my staggered wheel deck Lawn-Boy. It's got the standard red shroud now, and it looks sharp, but it'd look even better with a Lawn-Boy green shroud.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Great write up in the link. I love that people take the time to create DIY's like this on the net. It helps schmucks like me to tackle projects like this.

Thanks. I'm a visual guy, so I'm often lost without photos. Taking pictures helps me out during the process, so I like to post them for others to see also.

The shroud doesn't see much wear and tear, so you are likely going to have to buy new from a L-B dealer.
Check on a price just for giggles.
Maybe some official Lawn-boy spray paint will do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back