Replaced my brake pads after 21 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Chevy Z71, bought it new, got 82,000 on it now. At around 40,000 when I would hit the brakes the back end would jump up and down. Nothing violent, just aggravating. Figured it was the shocks, new Bilstiens all the way around, still had problem. Turned out to be warped front rotors. Installed a heavy duty set of new rotors and pads, problem gone. I was surprised that the original front pads still had a lot of life left. Might have gone 100,000 miles. Truck has original drum rears, bad idea GM.

Originally Posted by Elkins45

Originally Posted by user52165
Originally Posted by Elkins45
Originally Posted by Dave9
More likely your driving was mostly stop and go so it's not the mileage but # of stops that wore them, but yes time will cause pad corrosion and disc corrosion and they will both wear down faster unless that corrosion is also reducing stopping power 'cuz it's on the slide pins or rails the pad ears ride on.

It would be a good idea to check your brakes more often. Far more often.

I doubt I will ever check my brakes again. Rust is going to kill the suspension/steering components long before my new ceramic pads will wear out. As little as ai drive it I doubt this vehicle will ever see 70K.

I wonder what the chances are of removing the rear drums as easily as the calipers and rotors came off the front?

There's more to checking brakes than pad thickness. Caliper pins, piston boots, shims and retainers all should be periodically checked and lubed. This tool can be used without removing the wheels since you probably don't rotate tires either:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015DMJ2S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wow...feel the judgement.

Judgement?

Originally Posted by odotb
I have a 2005 Chevy Z71, bought it new, got 82,000 on it now. At around 40,000 when I would hit the brakes the back end would jump up and down. Nothing violent, just aggravating. Figured it was the shocks, new Bilstiens all the way around, still had problem. Turned out to be warped front rotors. Installed a heavy duty set of new rotors and pads, problem gone. I was surprised that the original front pads still had a lot of life left. Might have gone 100,000 miles. Truck has original drum rears, bad idea GM.

Bad idea? I'm glad the 05 has drums since it only needed them done once at around 150-160k miles. The 2002 GMC 2wd we had needed the rear pads and rotors done before 100k miles. The 05 stops better than the 2010 Toyota Tacoma which is a bit overloaded with the weight we keep in the back of them. It bottoms out over train tracks etc while the 2005 is a bit bouncy with 200k almost on the original shocks but it doesn't bottom out like the Tacoma does. The Tacoma was a bit too small for our work but we're keeping everything until we get a good number of years out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back