Replace (wrong) Clear PS Fluid in my Toyota's Power Steering Line with Maxlife Transmission Fluid?

I got a 2008 Avalon from a family member. They took it to a large 20 stall independent shop for its lifetime. It has clear PS fluid in the power steering line/reservoir, but the toyota spec is for red transmission fluid. Should I replace this clear PS fluid with some Maxlife transmission fluid? How harmful it is to have the wrong fluid in there?

Any Asian, synthetic, or multispec PSF can be used, and many are clear. Any ATF/PSF similar to dex/merc can be used. Color doesn't mean a thing.

Find out the exact product that was used and go from there. Might not need anything if a multispec PSF was used.

For colder climates, I'd want a synthetic.

Why? Many Mercon V fluids are specified for use where Dexron II/III and Mercon were recommended. And I've used it in place of Mercon on power steering systems.
Dunno. Just what I read on the internet and Toyota forums so it must be true. Mercon V can replace Mercon (in my Fords) but shouldn't be used to replace Dexron II/III. The latest Dexron should be used to replace the old.

I use ST ATF in the 4Runner which is specified for Dex II/III / Mercon. I use Mercon V in the Ford's.

Dunno. Just what I read on the internet and Toyota forums so it must be true. Mercon V can replace Mercon (in my Fords) but shouldn't be used to replace Dexron II/III. The latest Dexron should be used to replace the old.

If the product spec sheet says it can be used in place of Dex II/III...then I'm gonna go with that over internet tales.

The viscosity of Mercon V is closer to that of Dexron II/III than is Dexron VI, if one cares about that.

I've used plenty of Mercon-V in Toyota PSFs. No issues. I'd say the fluid looked better and steering worked better, especially in winter, than conventional dex/merc.

Too many clueless in Toyota forums and on the internet. Most Mercon-V's are multispec that includes dex/merc.

Locally available clearance Mobil1 and RoyalPurple ATF are in my 3 Toyota pumps now, after years of various synth PSFs, like Amsoil, Redline, Royalpurple, Lubegard, Bardahl, Prestone, Gunk.... along with synth ATF's including Redline, BG, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol....

I siphon and refill at every oil change interval, grab whatever is on the shelf, and have yet to lose a PS pump or develop any leaks. So, I don't need to pay for some silly shop 'flush' with unknown flush chemicals, additives, or fluids. Same works for my Nissans/HyundaiKias/Mazdas...

There really is no mass incompatibility. But, there are many who want to blame any fluid for their never maintained and/or run dry power steering system(or engine or coolant or transmission or xfercase or diff), that has already failed.

Knock yourself out. I'll use the ST ATF as long as it's available for Dex II/III applications. Agree on the Dex VI specs and why I didn't jump on that option.

Next OCI for the 4Runner AT will probably be M1 ATF (used in my Ford AT's). It DOES NOT have Dex VI certs.

I've used plenty of Mercon-V in Toyota PSFs. No issues. I'd say the fluid looked better and steering worked better, especially in winter, than conventional dex/merc.

Too many clueless in Toyota forums and on the internet. Most Mercon-V's are multispec that includes dex/merc.

Locally available clearance Mobil1 and RoyalPurple ATF are in my 3 Toyota pumps now, after years of various synth PSFs, like Amsoil, Redline, Royalpurple, Lubegard, Bardahl, Prestone, Gunk.... along with synth ATF's including Redline, BG, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol....

I siphon and refill at every oil change interval, grab whatever is on the shelf, and have yet to lose a PS pump or develop any leaks. So, I don't need to pay for some silly shop 'flush' with unknown flush chemicals, additives, or fluids. Same works for my Nissans/HyundaiKias/Mazdas...

There really is no mass incompatibility. But, there are many who want to blame any fluid for their never maintained and/or run dry power steering system(or engine or coolant or transmission or xfercase or diff), that has already failed.
Apparently the Gen III 4Runner suffered from torque converter lock up shudder and was blamed on Merc V. I chased That problem for a year and half only to find the driveshaft rubber vibration isolator was bad.

This isn't a transmission specific thread. I have had no issues using Mercon V in any older Toyota transmission spec'ing Dexron. I guess on toyotanation, or some model specific forums, they'll blame MerconV for everything.

If it makes you feel better to have clear fluid in the reservoir, AMSOIL is clear, but it will take several drains and fills to get close to clear if a dyed fluid has been used. I’ve used red DEX III in many Toyotas. Works just fine. Color isn’t an indicator of performance.

I got a 2008 Avalon from a family member. They took it to a large 20 stall independent shop for its lifetime. It has clear PS fluid in the power steering line/reservoir, but the toyota spec is for red transmission fluid. Should I replace this clear PS fluid with some Maxlife transmission fluid? How harmful it is to have the wrong fluid in there?
The 1998, 1999, and 2006 Corolla’s in my sig all are currently running with Maxlife in the PS system without any issues……

I've used
  • Maxlife ATF
  • Dex VI
  • Mobil 1 ATF
In several Toyota power steering pumps, with no issues
There's some weeps, and below 0° noise for a minute or so, but I think that's more to do with the car being 17 years old with 195k on it, than the fluid

It's a fairly simple hydraulic system, I don't think it's too terribly fussy

Toyota wants Dex fluid. Dealer techs will use either a universal PSF(MOC/BG/Wynn’s) or dump ATF T-IV/WS in there. I use MaxLife or Red Line ATF for anything not needing generic PSF(GM) or special PSFs(Honda, Pentosin).

Back