Replace oil after air filter housing leak?

Hi all

Long time lurker, first time poster. The other day I opened up the bonnet on my Seat to check the fluids and noticed that one of the clips on the air filter housing had popped open, which had likely broken the seal allowed some unfiltered air into the engine. I am aware of the problems caused by dust/silicone getting into the oil and am wondering if up to a week of imperfect sealing (~150 miles) would be enough to warrant changing the oil. It's not a big deal to do so on this car and I'd rather err on the side of caution, but I thought I should come and ask some internet nerds first - if I'm being overly cautious please tell me. Cheers!

Nah, I think you're fine.

Probably less particles in your oil than just running a K&N filter
laugh.gif

I wouldn't worry about it unless it is close to needing to be changed or those 150 miles were all dirt roads.

Originally Posted by Nick1994

Probably less particles in your oil than just running a K&N filter
laugh.gif

Truth!

Take the air filter out. Run your finger along the inside (filtered) part of the filter housing. Do you find any dirt or dust on your finger?

Originally Posted by rollinpete
As long as you weren't driving like this you should be okay.
lol.gif

You got me
cool.gif

Last edited:
I did this on my old 2004 and it took like 4 or 5 oil changes for the silicon and wear numbers to return to normal. Its easy to get it in, but doesnt come out very good.

Last edited:
Answers here will be similar to black stone lab comment section
A. Iron ppm 4 ------------>you have excellent wear levels you can continue using the oil until you blow this engine
B. Iron ppm 39 ----------->probably from previous oil change residual, continue untill 10k miles on oil and send another sample
C. Iron ppm 134----------->no need to care for the engine, who cares about Iron anyway, you TBN is still at 2.3!
D. TBN 0.3 -----------------> Drive 3 days more and send another sample, it could be a fluke (and we certainly enjoy your samples ($$))
E. Wherever you do, don't change the oil

Answers here will be similar to black stone lab comment section
A. Iron ppm 4 ------------>you have excellent wear levels you can continue using the oil until you blow this engine
B. Iron ppm 39 ----------->probably from previous oil change residual, continue untill 10k miles on oil and send another sample
C. Iron ppm 134----------->no need to care for the engine, who cares about Iron anyway, you TBN is still at 2.3!
D. TBN 0.3 -----------------> Drive 3 days more and send another sample, it could be a fluke (and we certainly enjoy your samples ($$))
E. Wherever you do, don't change the oil
Same question, why give advice in a three year old thread?

My question would be: Given the OP's join date is the same as his first post....HOW does he have 84 messages listed?
Because he posted this thread 3 years ago when he first joined. Then he made more posts over the last 3 years.

Back