Replace Lug Studs Without An Impact Wrench?

As the title states, is it possible to replace the lug studs on a '96 Saturn without the assistance of an impact wrench? I don't own an impact wrench, but I'd still like to be able to replace my lug studs myself. Has anyone tried this before? Thanks!

The lug nuts I have dealt with have only had a light interference fit. But regardless of the fit, a long breaker bar can do wonders. As can a big hammer, if you remove the hub or axle.

You asked this before and it takes less than 100 ft lbs, eg the regular wheel clamping force, to pull them through.

when i installed ARP wheel studs on my mustang, the instructions said to NOT use an impact, but press them in. that being said, they were a PITA to get into my axles with my MATCO impact. i think the main problem was that they were like 4" long.

Kestas

Staff member
Impacting, or hammering, has the possibility of brinelling the bearing races, leading to premature failure. Hence, the recommendation to use a press.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Impacting, or hammering, has the possibility of brinelling the bearing races, leading to premature failure. Hence, the recommendation to use a press.
no bearing on my application. new axles were not yet installed on the vehicle.

Lube the splines, and line the new stud up with the old spline broaching, if possible. Then an air gun on high should work. It will be tough to hold the hub stationary using a breaker bar and 'cheater' extension, but this is also viable if you can do it. Do not simply torque the wheel down. Make sure it is fully seated before you attach the wheel.

Last edited:

Kestas

Staff member
I can't agree with lubing the splines. One of the quality checks we make when we install studs in manufactured hubs is to check the torque required to rotate a mounted stud. The presence of lube would make the stud easier to rotate.

The big question here is to find out if the studs have enough clearance to be removed without taking out the hub. On many cars, the steering knuckle, backing plate, etc does not give you enough room to remove/install a new stud without taking the hub out.

The Critic

Thanks everyone. I'll try a thread chaser first. Only if that's not successful will I replace the studs.
 Originally Posted By: eljefino
You asked this before and it takes less than 100 ft lbs, eg the regular wheel clamping force, to pull them through.
Oops. I could've sworn that in my last thread about lug nuts that I forgot to ask about wheel studs, but I was wrong.
 Originally Posted By: JHZR2
why? did they get stripped, gouged, etc?
Sam's Club used anti-seize on the wheel studs and did not reduce the torque appropriately when installing the lug nuts.

The saturn will have an access hole if the hub is rotated to the right spot, so the new stud will wiggle in. Easy and perversely fun, but old news after doing 16.

Kestas - You have given your usual good advice, but I still believe it's OK in this application. Those splines won't twist under anywhere near normal loads. The primary concern here is to ease assembly with full seating.