Replace EGR Valve based on mileage/age?

Status
Not open for further replies.
150,000 miles and 12 years on the original EGR

A few months back I had the EGR off so I could do a thermostat change and it wasn't carboned up or anything.

Engine runs OK aside from lower MPG, no codes thrown.

Any reason to NOT spend $30 to pop a new one in?

No reason not to pop a new one in, but you could say that about most parts on a car of that age. IMO save your money... eventually something will break and need replacement. I wouldn't bet on an EGR that hasn't shown issue thus far.

On one of my vehicles, they run $100. So I periodically take it off and inspect/clean it. That is all they ever really need.

Check your pcv valve, ISV, MAF, etc. and clean them if you are looking for lost mpg. Dragging brake pads, winter blend gas, lots of other reasons to suspect, too.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
On one of my vehicles, they run $100. So I periodically take it off and inspect/clean it. That is all they ever really need.

Check your pcv valve, ISV, MAF, etc. and clean them if you are looking for lost mpg. Dragging brake pads, winter blend gas, lots of other reasons to suspect, too.

Agreed. No need to replace if all it needed is a cleaning.

You should check for carbon blocking up the passage from the EGR to the intake manifold. Mine was nice and clean at the EGR manifold but blocked close to the intake manifold.

Only when I buy a vehicle with an unknown history and the price isn't too bad and I can determine that has a history of EGR issues (or tampering) or if I'm trying to restore a vehicle to peak running condition that has an EGR valve.

If I know the history of the vehicle, the most I'll do is remove it and clean it from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back