replace ATF Filter or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should i drop the pan and replace the ATF filter?
The filter has never been replace! Last ATF change was 145,000km; i put 36,000 km since the last change! The color is always pink (not burn or brown) or should i even bother?

The filter kit contains 1 filter screen and 1 pan gasket.

I have no idea it is paper or metal screen!
54.gif

Last edited:
I would change it. Prepare first for a big mess underneath, and things will go a lot easier.
Make sure you seal her up well, and you will not regret it.

If you're going to drop the pan anyway, you might as well. You may want to look into whether there is an aftermarket pan available that has a drain plug. If there is, I'd then just do a drain/refill every 15-20k and be fine with it.

If you really want some extra protection and plan to keep the van a long while, consider investing in a remote filter kit like this one. It uses a standard PH8A size oil filter (real paper filtration). If you were to get one of these and a pan with a drain plug, you wouldn't have to drop the pan as long as you have the van. Just change the filter out every drain/refill and your tranny is better cared for than 99% of those on the road.

If the filter is a metal mesh (screen door type), it's only a 'rock stopper' there is no need to replace it.

For extra protection, do what FusilliJerry recommends.

Thanks for the inputs...
It is required to drop the pan in order to replace the tranny screen filter. I don't want to deal with such a big mess...
I think i should skip that because
1) the fluid never not look contaminated
2) it is a 12+ years old van!

The next van i should consider a remote filter!

If you don't plan on keeping it much longer, I wouldn't worry about it. In reality, you probably won't have it long enough for transmission neglect to be an issue. You've already changed it, which is more than can be said about probably the majority of cars that have reached well beyond your mileage.

It really all depends how much you value the van.

I'm of the opinion that unless it is truly a coarse, metal screen it should be changed at least once (to get break-in material and however many miles have been put on since then).

BMW calls their filters "screens", all of the dealer techs say "there is no filter, only a screen", but pop the bottom off of most ZF automatics and there you find a media-based filter that every enthusiast clearly knows about. Just because it's called a "screen" in a parts list, or by a dealer tech, doesn't mean that's all it is. Look for experience with your individual unit, or ask to see a "screen" at a parts counter.

Now, temper this advice against the level of difficulty of the job on your particular car. If valve bodies start coming loose as part of the job take this into consideration. If it's 20 pan bolts and 3 filter bolts and you're handy at all it isn't that big a deal.

I'd also beware of the unconditional advice to install a Magnefine. I think per-unit research is required before doing this. For instance, the ZF AS440Z in the BMW E39 540 flows WAY too much fluid through the cooler loop (particularly in P, even just at idle) to successfully insert a fine filter in-line without damaging something. If I simply installed one because "BITOG says it's a good idea" I would likely have grenaded something - the Magnefine or the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back