Replace alternator - As preventative maintenance?

“serious coin” for some, is pennies for others. Either way, I guess it all depends on how much value you put in the safety of yourself or your loved ones.
At a certain point, you're buying a new car every year or two for peace of mind. And some people do just that.

My wife and some of my kids take the Fusion from NC to WI and back at least once a year. I would hate for them to be in the middle of Indiana and have it stop charging with no warning.
Then don't let them drive a 12 year old 135,000 mile car when many of it's components are at or beyond their normal life expectancy. I'll be driving a 330,000 mile VW 1,000 miles next week but I can deal with breakdowns. Can she?

We honestly don't see a lot of those going bad. I only stock maybe 4 or 5 alternator part numbers at any time. That being said we can usually get Motorcraft same day or overnight.

If I had a vehicle with known alternator issues and I was in there doing something else I might consider it like on one of the Powerstrokes where pulling the belt is a pain. Or something like a Terminator Cobra where they are a pain to get to I might consider it if I had the belt off for something else.

Wow, huge thanks to everyone for contributing. This thread is a excellent example of what makes this forum great. People with years of life experience and knowledge share their insights and opinions.

Back