Repair shop denied on tranny flush ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im call around and asking for tranny flush( 134k on tranny ). most of them denied, and told me i will have problem after flush. is this true, my car shift really smooth before and after pan drop with filter change. the reason I want flush cause Im about to Auto-rx it.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I'd ARX then flush.

Yes ofcouse, I want to call around first and make sure they do it before Im using auto-rx.

i would just ARX and do another pan drop followed by a couple shorter interval drain and refills... or a DIY cooler line flush. that way you'll be fresh and avoid the debate over machine exchanges.. half will tell you it is ok and the other half will tell you you'll ruin the trans. I ran ARX and then did several short-interval drains on my honda without trouble.

I would do the AutoRx then a drain of the pan followed immediately by a DIY cooler line flush. The shops that do a machine flush seldom do a drain of the pan first which is important if you want the least mixing of old and new fluid. In addition the shops seldom purge the new ATF container thus you get a few QTs of ATF used for the prior flush in addition to many QTs of the ATF for your can. The prior flush could be a different ATF.

You might consider installing a Magnefine filter as you start the AutoRx cycle so it catches the crud that AutoRx loosens.

A lot of people bring their cars in for transmission services when they are already experiencing problems, so of course, the transmission fails shortly after the service and the owner attempts to blame the shop. That's why the shop is hesitant to perform services on high mileage transmissions. But if your transmission is working properly, a flush will not harm it.

Auto-RX and a magnefilter are not needed, either.

+ 1 critic: The Pennzoil service writer a my local place said they will not do a flush if over 100,000 miles. The reason was the Too many complaints/lawsuits have resulted. Seems that a poorly maintained AT will have stuff loosened during the flush that causes problems. Why not do a plug drain and refill 3X times doing 50-100 miles between each drain.

That's hilarious since most OEM recommendations are in excess of 80k. You would have a 20k window of viability.

It would be a waste of a machine ..unless they sell you wasted service (according to OEM recommendations).

lie ..or deny. That's their moto
grin2.gif

Suppose you had already got a flush from them @ 50k, would they still deny you one @ 100k?

I have never heard of a shop denying a flush before. At JL we would do a trans flush regardless of the miles on a vehicle. I know at least one local Ford dealer doesn't care either since they flushed my Explorer's transmission at over 150K miles. It didn't have any problems before or after the flush.

I'd keep calling places. Someone will be willing to do a flush.

they should not deny you if the fluid isn't too dark and you aren't having problems with the unit. sounds like they did not even check your fluid. i would look elsewhere or just drain/fill/drive/drain/fill/drive several times, which is almost as good.

If you are unable to flush / or change it yourself, and the quick lubes won't do it, why not take it to a good tranny shop? If they are hesitant, tell them to take it for a drive and see for themselves how it works.

If the ATF has never been changed, and if the shop has been burned by unscrupulous owners blaming a flush for the trans failure, they have every right to deny doing any services. Its somewhat a free country still.

Problem is that the ignorant unmechanically inclined insurance companies, lawyers, attorney generals, jurors, judges, news outlets, consumer activists...... force settlements against too many shops even when not at fault. Even 'signed' risk waivers have been beaten in the judicial system.

The problem is that many shops 'scrape' by on profit margins these days. The low profit margin vs. risk on poorly maintained vehicles isn't worth it.

A way around this is to tell the shop that your in for your regular 20-40k flush that you do every 20-40k miles every couple years. Tell the shop that they can take a test ride before hand to verify transmission shift quality. Any slippage clunkiness shift quirkiness means issues prior to flush, and will be noted as 'trans failure not repairable by flush' on the receipt. Many shops will overlook mileage if they perceive a history of maintenance. Be willing to sign a risk waiver. Make sure he shop doesn't use any solvents during the flush. If there is a serviceable filter, allow the shop to change it. Either bring your own ATF or demand to know which ATF that they will be using and verify it is acceptable. Also, let the shop know that you are willing to forgo any receipt for the flush and pay cash.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
+ 1 critic: The Pennzoil service writer a my local place said they will not do a flush if over 100,000 miles. The reason was the Too many complaints/lawsuits have resulted. Seems that a poorly maintained AT will have stuff loosened during the flush that causes problems. Why not do a plug drain and refill 3X times doing 50-100 miles between each drain.

What you suggest will loosen just as much as a flush. Either way you have mosty new ATF in the transmission loosening crud.

Of the shops I have worked in and managed, we have done thousands of transmission flushes on cars with high mileage with no ill effects.

I can understand their caution, but we required a test drive prior to the flush. We did occasionally decline to perform a flush due to noting a trans problem prior to the flush.

If I were you, I would do the hose in a bucket flush at home in your driveway and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back