repair of coolant reservoir

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 94 Camry's reservoir seems to have a few small holes in the top area of the reservoir. I know its not a big deal as the antifreeze will not come out unless its filled to the top.

I looked at RockAuto and NAPA Online and they only have the gold plated ones for over $80.00. To me it looks like it should cost between $5 and $10.

What can I apply to the small holes. Or focus my attention to other things that need to be fixed.

I used Permatex Epoxy I bought from Kragen to fix hairline cracks on top of my '94 LS400 coolant reservoir/expansion tank some years ago, so far it doesn't leak anymore.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I used Permatex Epoxy I bought from Kragen to fix hairline cracks on top of my '94 LS400 coolant reservoir/expansion tank some years ago, so far it doesn't leak anymore.

I would think epoxy would be too hard as this is a polyethylene tank. My tank will not leak unless it got totally filled.

Maybe I should view the 2 small holes as vents?

If they are circular, put two brass tubes through the holes about two inches long. Let about 1'2 inch stick up with the rest of the length inside the tank. Put a little silicone around them. Make sure the tubes fit snuggly. This should help with the overflow issue from splashing around.

There are a million right ways to fix it. I'd drill them out a bit larger, and use some solid/putty type epoxy. Or, a liquid will probably work fine too. Or just leave it. Or a McGuyver style two liter bottle/surgical tubing solution is also on the table...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back