Renting UHaul Truck to Tow Your Own Trailer?

I'll be taking a trip up to Maine in August. Ideally, I'd be towing my Jeep on my trailer up there. I just don't want to risk driving my truck that far and back towing a trailer. The tow bill back will be astronomical should it break down and I really wouldn't want to burden any friends to drag all of my stuff home. It

I looked at Enterprise Commercial and I'd be looking at almost $1000 in truck rental fees. Penske won't do it unless I rent the trailer from them.

Looks like UHaul will rent me a 1/2 ton , 2wd work truck that can tow up to 6900 pounds. That's more than my trailer loaded up is. Price will be close to $350 with all of the optional insurance, but for once or twice a year, it's way cheaper than buying a newer truck.

Anyone done this? I know Uhaul trucks are base model -- where as the Enterprise commercial are nicer. But I just need to tow around, don't need anything other than that. And they're beat on and don't receive the best maintenance but that doesn't matter; if it breaks down they give me a new one.

When I looked at this many years ago it seemed the Uhaul trucks had the ball welded in place on the truck I looked at. So your trailer better be that ball size. I would look at the truck you are looking to rent.

Originally Posted by Miller88

Looks like UHaul will rent me a 1/2 ton , 2wd work truck that can tow up to 6900 pounds.

I did that years ago with another company. If the load is not much more than the 6900 lbs, and you drive it easy, I see no issue. Towing capacity is actually a bit more than advertised. Just drive easy.

I'd call around and ask, make sure they don't lock the receiver hitch on the pickup if you don't rent their trailer.

The box trucks have a welded ball, you shouldn't have any trouble with one of those.

If you rent their smaller 10' box truck, you could camp inside it.

Here's a good example of what one of those base UHaul 1/2 ton work trucks will do... Truck, trailer, car, and clothes for the weekend.

It went down the interstate with the cruise set at 72mph, all day long. Even though the hills of the Missouri Ozarks.

This one was an '18 GMC with the 5.3 engine. Power windows, power locks, cruise, tilt and air. Had 11,000 miles on it when we left.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...egular-cab-long-box-w-5-3-v8#Post4936840

[Linked Image]

Issue I would have would be trailer brakes. The u-haul trailer in MrSilv picture has surge brakes. I assume your trailer has electric brakes. Not sure the half ton has a seven pin trailer connector, and/ or trailer controller. That is a lot of weight for a half ton pickup to stop without trailer braking.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Here's a good example of what one of those base UHaul 1/2 ton work trucks will do... Truck, trailer, car, and clothes for the weekend.

It went down the interstate with the cruise set at 72mph, all day long. Even though the hills of the Missouri Ozarks.

This one was an '18 GMC with the 5.3 engine. Power windows, power locks, cruise, tilt and air. Had 11,000 miles on it when we left.

[Linked Image]

I like that idea...

Originally Posted by GON
Issue I would have would be trailer brakes. The u-haul trailer in MrSilv picture has surge brakes. I assume your trailer has electric brakes. Not sure the half ton has a seven pin trailer connector, and/ or trailer controller. That is a lot of weight for a half ton pickup to stop without trailer braking.

Mine has surge brakes. I built it with surge brakes instead of electric brakes just in case it ends up behind a truck with no brake controller.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04

[Linked Image]

I imagine your chevy coupe weighs about as much as my Jeep does, but my trailer only weighs 1/2 as much as the uhaul. Looks like the truck should handle it. Just worried about providing my own trailer. I don't want to rent theirs.

Originally Posted by Zebra312
What's wrong with your truck that it wont make it?

Well the major issues are --- transmission case is broken in two spots and has no mounting ears so it's held in with a ratchet strap. Right headgasket is bad. Despite having a new oxygen sensor and exhaust manifold, it will still run bank 1 at 30% fuel trim randomly so it will flood out 1,2,3,4 to the point they won't fire. It's also severely rusty so any repairs that need to be made along the way just can't happen without a torch. Also the engine is very tired. If it smells a hill within 5 miles, its 35 in the slow lane with the 4 ways on.

Last edited:
OT, but Maine is a bit nutty about out of state visitors especially NY in terms isolation, reporting it etc and rules. The rural areas are bit crazier as my sis in law from NYC who owns lake home and had run ins with locals.

She ended up picking up a beater Prius with rust with Maine plates and dressing non NYC to fit in
smile.gif
Her Audi Q5 in garage at lake house now,

The plan of renting works well. We rented one to pull a Kubota tractor on borrowed heavy trailer and location had no issues as we came back to adjust hitch.

Enjoy the trip!

^^^^
This.

I heard stories of friends who went up to their Maine house and the cops followed them. Told them to stay on the property except for necessary trips.

Miller - Your XJ isn't streetable? I thought I was the only one with a radical rig. Are you wheeling with Western Maine Mountain Jeepers?

If it's streetable, I would drive the XJ. Our last trip to Moab, my friend drove his '88 XJ (with HO EFI) on 35's out and did fine. He had everything in the back, maybe even a kitchen sink.

Don't assume uhaiul only rents pickups with a base V6. The Ram 1500's in Columbus are Hemi's. I don't know what engine the GMC's they rent have. But they charge .69 a mile which can add up quick.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Don't assume uhaiul only rents pickups with a base V6. The Ram 1500's in Columbus are Hemi's. I don't know what engine the GMC's they rent have. But they charge .69 a mile which can add up quick.

Even if it is a base V6 chevy 1500, they're rated for 7500. A friend of mine rented one and the uhaul trailer and got a 5.3 v8. If you do the long distance rental they don't charge $.69 a mile, they have a bulk rate based on estimated miles. It's also not $20 a day but that's okay.

Originally Posted by madRiver
OT, but Maine is a bit nutty about out of state visitors especially NY in terms isolation, reporting it etc and rules. The rural areas are bit crazier as my sis in law from NYC who owns lake home and had run ins with locals.

She ended up picking up a beater Prius with rust with Maine plates and dressing non NYC to fit in
smile.gif

The plan of renting works well. We rented one to pull a Kubota tractor on borrowed heavy trailer and location had no issues as we came back to adjust hitch.

Enjoy the trip!

Is the out of state stuff from the current situation or is that all the time? I heard Uhaul makes you but the hitch from them to use. I have a good idea of how high my trailer needs to be to sit level so I could just buy accordingly there.

Originally Posted by Zaedock
^^^^
This.

I heard stories of friends who went up to their Maine house and the cops followed them. Told them to stay on the property except for necessary trips.

Miller - Your XJ isn't streetable? I thought I was the only one with a radical rig. Are you wheeling with Western Maine Mountain Jeepers?

If it's streetable, I would drive the XJ. Our last trip to Moab, my friend drove his '88 XJ (with HO EFI) on 35's out and did fine. He had everything in the back, maybe even a kitchen sink.

Is that just during the current lockdown?

I wouldn't say mine is too built. It's lived a rough life and it shows. I only have 4.5'' of lift and 33'' tires. Locker, frame stiffeners, winch bumper. But the front axle is tweaked pretty good, frame is messed up in the front where the steering box goes. It's registered and inspected and on the road, but it's just in rough shape. I did tow my camper to Rausch Creek offroad park a few years ago with it. Worked well but I was worried about really messing it up in the rocks.

We're going to Rocky Mountain Terrain Park in SW Maine. But that's in August, so still a few months out.

Originally Posted by madRiver

smile.gif

Enjoy the trip!

Is the out of state stuff from the current situation or is that all the time?

Been a while since I lived in Maine but I do recall them being nutters.
wink.gif
My formative years were spent in Downeast Maine and to be honest they ran the gamut. Much like any other place.

But what can I say? Despite living in a somewhat high income area in well-educated NH, when I go out on my bicycle and see out of state plates I've been tempted to mutter "go home!" So I'm just as bad. I can't condone the actions taken by some during this pandemic but geez, this has turned the world upside down. So I wouldn't read too much into it.

Yes - the lockdown. It's crazy, but I get it as my friend just died from Covid.

RMTP is a cool place. I recommend stopping at Jericho state park in NH. Several clubs in my association helped build a full size OHRV trail right in the State Park.
We go up all the time with our ATV's. Actually, NH state parks recently canceled our May and June reservations because we live out of state. They are opening in stages.

Regarding your situation, the money you spend on the Uhaul would be a good chunk in getting your XJ up to snuff.

Another option if you can wing it, is there are a lot of great deals on used and new trucks.

Anyone done this? I know Uhaul trucks are base model -- where as the Enterprise commercial are nicer. But I just need to tow around, don't need anything other than that. And they're beat on and don't receive the best maintenance but that doesn't matter; if it breaks down they give me a new one.

Umm, the trucks are maintained very well.
The trucks are how they make money, and if they are down, they are not making money. They also have the liability issue if the vehicle breaks down.

Originally Posted by blupupher

Umm, the trucks are maintained very well.
The trucks are how they make money, and if they are down, they are not making money. They also have the liability issue if the vehicle breaks down.

Around here uhaul stuff is garbage. At least the trailers. They receive no maintenance.

Originally Posted by Zaedock
Yes - the lockdown. It's crazy, but I get it as my friend just died from Covid.

RMTP is a cool place. I recommend stopping at Jericho state park in NH. Several clubs in my association helped build a full size OHRV trail right in the State Park.
We go up all the time with our ATV's. Actually, NH state parks recently canceled our May and June reservations because we live out of state. They are opening in stages.

Regarding your situation, the money you spend on the Uhaul would be a good chunk in getting your XJ up to snuff.

Another option if you can wing it, is there are a lot of great deals on used and new trucks.

Oh I think it's off the road for good after this weekend. Ran blues and a few blacks at AOAA. The steering box is no longer attached to the frame (threads pulled out of the box) and even if it was, I managed to break the frame again where the steering box goes.

Around here uhaul stuff is garbage. At least the trailers. They receive no maintenance.

I guess it is location based then.
I have had some trucks in rough shape physically, but they all seemed to be mechanically sound. Same for the trailers.

It's been a while but the worst rentals I've had have been uhauls. I've had everything from cracked valves and barely hits 55 empty to bent wheels and rough ride, to just won't start, at least in their box trucks. Not to mention the local store can't guarantee to provide the truck you reserved online. Maybe it's different with pickups or this decade. I started using... I think it was Ryder and never looked back.

I worked at U-Haul in my formative years, the trucks were actually serviced pretty well, the trailers not so much. I worked at a dealer where we did a lot of oil changes, Anything beyond that or topping fluids had to be done at a service center. Trailers rarely got serviced, so long as the lights work and the break-away brake engaged, it was put on the line for rental.

U-haul gets you in the door with their cheap vehicle rates, they make their money on the mileage. You are charge mileage on a local rental, where you rent and return to the same location. A one way rental factors in XX miles for the distance the vehicle will go and you're given a certain amount of time to get there, varying by the distance of the one way rental. One way rental rates are based on where they have a glut or a need for trucks/trailers. If the location is saturated, the price is expensive, if they need units somewhere, the rates are cheaper. I've also noticed that my local U-haul pick-ups are "local only" rentals, so while you'd technically be "local" because of returning it to the same location, they may not see an out of city/state trip as local.

I would think that Avis or Enterprise or one of the other chain rental companies would have a better rate than U-haul for what you want to do, since you will be making a round trip run, it would be cheaper to pay for the vehicle and not the mileage. I'd recommend shopping around a bit more. I'd also recommend calling locations that you do not intend to use to get your questions answered so that you're not held hostage because you want to tow a trailer, use your own trailer, or whatever.

Back