Renting a '14 Chrysler 300C

Status
Not open for further replies.
While my Regal is in the body shop to have its rocker panel repaired, I'm renting (on Geico's nickel) a '14 Chrysler 300C. On the phone Enterprise had said I qualified for VIP treatment. I'd hoped that would mean a slim redhead would visit me at home, and . . . Well, anyway, the big Chrysler appears to be the VIP treatment.

It's black on black, a '14 without sport mode -- there are no shifter paddles on the wheel -- or sunroof. No idea what engine it has, but even with the A/C on, it accelerates and shoots up ramps with ease. It rides very smoothly, reducing the bumps and fault blocks of what some call "roads" here in Da Swamp to minor annoyances. Good A/C. It even has the power rear sunshade and rear camera, and the mirrors tilt down when you select R, then return to your setting when you leave that gear.

My only problem: That shift knob! The thing is too small and shaped too oddly to be called a real shifter. And the button you use to go into D or R is in the wrong place -- it should be where you can use a forefinger or second finger on it, not a thumb. Beyond that, the shifter is very sensitive. I shift, thinking I'm going from D to R, and wind up in N. ("Why aren't we moving? Oh --!") Or in going from D to P, I continually end up first in R and have to shift again.

Otherwise it's a fine car to drive. Normally I rent the cheapest smallest car I can, so I'll be more than pleased to get back into my regular car. But this one is . . . seductive. I'm afraid it will make me disappointed with the Regal when I get back to it.

What's your experience with the big sedan? Gas mileage? Reliability? Like it, love it, or hate it?

Dollar for dollar it's the best platform available today.

A friend just picked up a 2012 srt. Makes my charger feel very slow in comparison. At 160mph he pulled away from me like I was standing still. And my car was gliding smooth as silk at that speed. Not a shimmy or shake.
Time for boost
Great platform.

I think it is a nice riding car.

We drove one from Vegas to the Grand Canyon and back. My brother got a speeding ticket in it, in Arizona.

I don't buy Dodge cars as a rule, but it was a nice fleet vehicle to have.

Around here people put a ton of chrome on them, and make them look like ghetto rides which ruins the look.

But if you have one with plain jane wheels it is a good looking car.

It's a beautiful car. I believe the "C" means the big hemi V8 engine. I just don't Chrysler to make a quality product. My cousin has a 300 and he loves it.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
What's your experience with the big sedan? Gas mileage? Reliability? Like it, love it, or hate it?

You should dig up the posts by G-MAN. He traded his '12 for an Audi A4.
smile.gif

I had a Charger for a rental a year or so ago, and I was impressed. Power, ride, comfort were all very good.

A pos 1966 Dodge Dart that I special ordered with a four speed and front disc brakes was the sorriest excuse for a vehicle I ever owned, and I haven't had a Chrysler product since. I think Chrysler had monkeys assembling vehicles in Hamtramck. Some overpaid yahoo somewhere couldn't even put the drain plug in the four speed without getting it cross-threaded. Cr*# on me once, shame on you. Cr*# on me twice, shame on me. And now look what we have. One sorry badge owned by an even sorrier foreign owner. "The Italians are coming the Italians are coming." And what showed up? A 500 POP. Yes sir, it just keeps getting better and better.

I've had plenty of Chrysler rental vehicles. They look great and ride nice since they're practically new. In the back of my mind, though, I wonder how well they'll hold up past the warranty period
27.gif

That 300C has been out about 10 years now, yet it holds up, probably due to its Mercedes-Benz W220 S-class control arm front suspension, the Mercedes-Benz W211 E-Class 5-link rear suspension, the firewall and floor pan, and the rear differential, all Mercedes parts.
I don't know when they are going to change that model much.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I've had plenty of Chrysler rental vehicles. They look great and ride nice since they're practically new. In the back of my mind, though, I wonder how well they'll hold up past the warranty period
27.gif

Mines an 06. I've changed the fluids.

And winter tires.

Steve's is an 05. Hundreds of track passes and more than a few laps at homestead and nary an issue.

So from my personal experience in a 10 year old version of the car they seem to hold up just fine.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
That 300C has been out about 10 years now, yet it holds up, probably due to its Mercedes-Benz W220 S-class control arm front suspension, the Mercedes-Benz W211 E-Class 5-link rear suspension, the firewall and floor pan, and the rear differential, all Mercedes parts.

Yep.

Basically a hemi powered Mercedes.

What's not to like about that. Like a big machine gun. Who doesn't like a big machine gun.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Basically a hemi powered Mercedes.
What's not to like about that. Like a big machine gun. Who doesn't like a big machine gun.

What a bargain for a Mercedes-like animal it is. I can get a new Challenger/Charger base model for $25,000, or pay $60,000 for a Mercedes.

This platform is a great value for what you get, and does drive like a $60k car. $25k can buy you a FWD 4 cylinder midsize, or a fullsize sedan with Mercedes chassis, a great V6 and ZF transmission. It's like a Mercedes E350 for half price!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
This platform is a great value for what you get, and does drive like a $60k car. $25k can buy you a FWD 4 cylinder midsize, or a fullsize sedan with Mercedes chassis, a great V6 and ZF transmission. It's like a Mercedes E350 for half price!

That's prob why the cop cars around the country all seem to be Dodge Chargers, right?!
Must be hard to sell the new Chevy Caprice (Pontiac G8, Camaro, Zeta platform) cop cars with the deal Chrysler will give a police fleet dept on a Charger. Also means junk parts and used Dodge Charger cop cars will be there forever.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

That's right; I'd forgotten that Mercedes DNA found its way into the Chrysler products back then. Someone at work has a Chrysler Crossfire, and every time I pass it I recall it's a domestic cousin of the SLK.

As far as styling goes, I wish the 300C had a little longer trunk, to balance that lovely long hood. But the interior, with chrome and polished surfaces on dash and doors, is very pleasant to the eye.

The LX cars are a great bang for buck. Our '06 has been fantastic needing only very little and that was part of the reason I was comfortable buying the 2014 SRT-8 version.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

You should dig up the posts by G-MAN. He traded his '12 for an Audi A4.
smile.gif

His wasn't a "C" though, it had the V6 Pentastar, not the big 8 like the 300C the OP is driving has, that makes a big difference.

I had two Charger loaners (a 2010 and a 2012) when I was getting the BMW looked at prior to eventually buying the 2014 and they were both nothing like my wife's R/T in terms of handling and performance feel; it was literally night and day. The SRT-8 is that far removed again from her R/T with much firmer and faster shifts along with an additional 125HP/TQ that propels the big sedan with authority at any poke of the throttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back