Rented a pontiac G6...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: brianl703
Most newer cars have adaptive shifting whereby it learns when to shift based on how you drive. Or something like that.

In a rental car, any goofy shifting you notice may well be the result of what it learned from previous drivers.

Next time you notice goofy shifting in a rental car, and you feel like a little bit of experimentation, try disconnecting the battery for several minutes and then reconnect and see if it shifts better.

Hmmm....

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Originally Posted By: JustinH
A friend of ours has a g6 "GT" with the v6 motor.

The thing is a pig, gets just over 20mpg, sometimes under 20mpg in the city.

That has been my experience with the G6 with a V6 engine, too. Very surprising to have a modern car that gets such a bad mileage.

I don't know what tuning or capabilities the new PCMs have (I know some manufacturer's PCMs have the ability to slowing change settings over a car's break in period), but my friend's brand new Fusion only got 20mpg on the highway on a trip to detroit and back.. My 4000lb RMS almost gets that, and probably would if I kept my foot out of it.

My mom's 04 G6 GT had lotsa problems. That stupid three piece sunroof, continental tires that wore out in 11K with nothing wrong with the steering or her driving, the random starter deciding not to disengage, and the meidocre Mpg. She was averaging around 20mpg with it. I did a Pro-Kleen treatment on it, and it jumped to 26mpg. Eventually settled at around 24mpg.

Her 08 G6 (Non GT, I think v6) is a LOT better. She really wanted a solstice, but since my dad isn't working a lot anymore (she's bringing home the bacon), she bought the g6 (no more leasing for her) to keep for a while. Mpg is almost 30mpg or better, and interior is nice to boot. I hate the g6 though for it's blind spots.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Most newer cars have adaptive shifting whereby it learns when to shift based on how you drive. Or something like that.

In a rental car, any goofy shifting you notice may well be the result of what it learned from previous drivers.

Next time you notice goofy shifting in a rental car, and you feel like a little bit of experimentation, try disconnecting the battery for several minutes and then reconnect and see if it shifts better.

Shifting was nice except for the finicky threshold... 70% pedal brought upshifts at 3500 RPM, 75% pedal would rocket it up to 6k. Maybe it was learnt behavior. In that case pontiac would do itself a favor by having a "rental" PCM flash they could undo when the car gets resold. (Could add in some more anti-abuse programming while at it-- had a rental corolla that upshifted early when cold even when floored.) Better than a vibe 4 speed automatic that would drop to 2nd (or 3rd w/o TCC) on mild freeway uphills with cruise engaged. I've never had a 4 cyl auto I've been happy with... this G6 was actually the closest.

I should find some other reviews of these throttle by wire cars-- haven't read any, but find the thresholds curious... am up in the air if I should be insulted... I know enough physics to be.

My stick shift mentality probably ruins my auto driving... I like to accelerate at half throttle, upshifting early if I want a mild acceleration, late if I want more power.

Grand ams are all over the place here; they make solid enough cheap used cars. (And I like GM) Drive 100 miles south (or rent) and the highways are like the future: oh, somebody buys new!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back