Rented a Camaro SS for the weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the V8 camp. I had a 2004 Monte Carlo SS with the supercharged 3800 and while the car was fast and had good power, it still left me wanting a V8 car. I only got 22-27mpg with this car on the highway.

I currently have a 2014 Mustang GT and I routinely get 23-25mpg on the highway. The extra power and sound of the V8 more than makes up for the little difference in gas mileage for me.

Last year before I bought the Mustang, I did drive a 2010 Camaro SS and while it had good power and rode nice, the blind spots and the fact that I felt like I was sitting in a cave turned me off to it. I also don't really like how the new Camaros look so it was pretty much a deal killer for me even though I've always been a GM guy.

I do understand that everyone has different priorities in what they want in a car so ultimately you are the only one who knows what your needs are.

Wayne

So I put about 360 miles on it today and will give a detailed assessment below, but my executive assessment is - the Camaro SS is a great cruiser, but it is not a touring car, although a convertible would probably garner an entirely different opinion. This was a 2013 SS with 22,500 miles on it with a 6.2L V8 and the 6 speed automatic. As a side note, it was a typical rental car in that I do not believe it has been well treated or maintained—the engine had a slightly rough idle which I do not think was due to cam or performance tuning. My best guess is it has been beat on quite a bit and though I did not follow suit, this car makes it hard not to do so.

Ride = 6/10. Once on the open road, it was pretty rough and though I realize this is a sports car, it was overly rough and was pretty noisy too. The road noise permeated the cockpit, especially from the rear of the car. Several moderate bumps on I-10 in Louisiana threatened to flip my stomach. I could not ascertain if this was “as intended” or abuse as a rental, but my ’96 LT4 Corvette did not ride this roughly, nor did my ’95 LT1 Trans AM.

Handling = Wet road; 7/10 | Dry road 9/10. It did not like the rain even though the tires were at proper pressure and had plenty of tread. There was more than a few times when it felt as though it wanted to hydroplane, even though I had slowed down enough to prevent it. I realize that tires play a key role here, but width is width no matter the brand. However, on dry roads, it handled like on rails, even when I pushed it in the curves. On dry pavement, it remained stuck on the road surface like epoxy. The brakes on this car were also fantastic and never felt as though they would fade even after a few 80 to 0 stops.

Performance = 10/10. Nothing like 425 HP under the hood and they are well managed ponies at that. I managed 23.7 mpg going and 23.2 mpg coming back--drive was slower outbound versus the return due to the rain on the outbound leg. Acceleration did have a bit of a lag from zero up to 20, but on the open road, moving from 65 to 80 was a blink and there was never of a feeling of not having power. At speed, the power curve is phenomenal and does not disappoint. The transmission never felt like it was “seeking” a gear which is a nice change from my previous experiences with GM slushboxes and performance cars.

Interior = 4/10. IMHO, this is the area where the Camaro suffers the most, from the anemic mirrors, to the blind spots, to the seatbelt that will choke you [with or with the seat back guide], to the roofline that threatens to whack your head on heavy bumps, to the wanna be sun visors.

Though the instrumentation is laid out in an easy to read orientation, from my vantage point the engine oil temperature gauge was blocked by the massive left A/C control knob (which will freeze you out in short order). The HUD was a welcome piece of gadgetry allowing me to (nearly) keep my right foot in check within the posted speed limits. At night, the LED bars on the doors are a distraction and I did not find a way to turn them off (there must be a setting somewhere). Missing was a navigation tool, though my Android S5 always provides decent instructions, it would have been nice to have it built in on the large radio LCD panel. The gas gauge was spot on, requiring 9.3 gallons to fill the tank when ½ full was indicated. The audio system was fantastic and at the proper volume easily drowned the road noise, but on a longer trip, this much volume would eventually start to grind on you. There were several inputs on the sound system (MP3, BlueTooth, USB, and the like), and it seemed like movies could be watched on the adequate LCD.

I am right at six feet tall and when I slid the seat back to a comfortable position, there was no room for a passengers legs between the rear of my seat and the rear seat. My wife is quite short and despite that fact, only an empty soda bottle fit vertically between the back of her seat and the rear seat. In essence, this is a two seater car with a “shelf” area in the rear for a few things—I would find it hard to think that anyone of any size could ride back there, but then again, that was never really the intention. If there is one major negative to take away, it is the roofline. It is far too low and (at least my head) was well above the window opening, even with the seat as far down as it would go. Speaking of seats, though they were fairly comfortable, GM’s choice of leather is lame. It felt very plastic to the touch and the sides/backs of the seats are trimmed in vinyl--which were already showing moderate signs of wear. A higher quality leather would reduce the cheap feel of the interior (despite the price tag which argues the opposite).
However, kudos to the design team for as closely mimicking the interior layout of the ’69 SS or Z/28 as they did. Sitting in this thing definitely brought back some memories from my high school days when I foolishly sold my ’69. It is not exact, but it is pretty close and nostalgia seekers will not be disappointed.

Exterior = 9/10.
The body lines of this car look great from any angle and the pseudo cowl induction hump in the hood gave a nice line to use as a guide against the road lines. Night lighting was equally good with plenty of illumination and I never felt as though I would “outdrive” the lights. The HUD is adjustable to compensate for day/night and was not a distraction after adjusting it for darkness. The trunk opening is a bit strangely shaped, but I could place two rolling overhead bags into it with some room to spare.

Final thoughts—As a weekend getaway car or Saturday night cruiser, the Camaro can hang with the best of them, but for a long tour, it is severely lacking in a few areas. If I had to pick two things that dissuade me from choosing this car, it would be the low roofline--a cave feeling as one poster noted (my head was easily 2-3 inches above the top of the window and thus contributing to the poor views from inside), and the excessive road noise which could leave a low level hum in your ears after stepping out. From a performance standpoint—hang on brother! I pinned my wife into her seat on two different occasions and there was power remaining on tap. For those wishing to relive some glory days in that ’69 Z/28 that you could never afford or never find, this car will help you do that in so many ways possible including some upgrades in every department. If you are looking to do that—this is the car for you. If you want a car to take a 500-1000+ mile cruise, this one will get you there, but I am not sure that you will like the “after effects”.

Next up for my test is a Ford Mustang (in convertible, if I can find one to rent). Should that one not pass muster, a Dodge Charger is on the agenda next...stay tuned.

Originally Posted By: wtd
I'm in the V8 camp. I had a 2004 Monte Carlo SS with the supercharged 3800 and while the car was fast and had good power, it still left me wanting a V8 car. I only got 22-27mpg with this car on the highway.

I currently have a 2014 Mustang GT and I routinely get 23-25mpg on the highway. The extra power and sound of the V8 more than makes up for the little difference in gas mileage for me.

Last year before I bought the Mustang, I did drive a 2010 Camaro SS and while it had good power and rode nice, the blind spots and the fact that I felt like I was sitting in a cave turned me off to it. I also don't really like how the new Camaros look so it was pretty much a deal killer for me even though I've always been a GM guy.

I do understand that everyone has different priorities in what they want in a car so ultimately you are the only one who knows what your needs are.

Wayne

I've driven both,and I like the Mustang way more over the Camaro. The ergonomics of the Mustang are MUCH better,is very comfortable,and I just think the Camaros are a little goofy looking. The Mustang looks alot sleeker. I can't stand the Camaro's interior,but I do like the fact it has an oil temp gauge.

My favorite Camaros were the F-bodies. GM screwed up BIG time when they quit making those. The current ones can't compare imo.

I feel a V8 engine should be the only option in these cars.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Be sure to air up the tires before you enjoy it. I often find that most rentals have very under inflated tires, which will prevent you from properly evaluating the ride and handling qualities.

THIS! Rentals come with too little or too much of most everything that is adjustable.

While I agree that renting a car first is a great idea before purchase, I would qualify that with a caveat. Rentals are usually not comparable to a new car or even a lightly used car driven by a single person.

The simple fact is they are beaten like dogs, and this goes DOUBLE for the higher performance models.

Despite the Mustang guys opinions the fact remains that Camaro outsells Mustang by a wide margin. The market has spoken...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Be sure to air up the tires before you enjoy it. I often find that most rentals have very under inflated tires, which will prevent you from properly evaluating the ride and handling qualities.

THIS! Rentals come with too little or too much of most everything that is adjustable.

While I agree that renting a car first is a great idea before purchase, I would qualify that with a caveat. Rentals are usually not comparable to a new car or even a lightly used car driven by a single person.

The simple fact is they are beaten like dogs, and this goes DOUBLE for the higher performance models.

Despite the Mustang guys opinions the fact remains that Camaro outsells Mustang by a wide margin. The market has spoken...

Source? 2012 they didn't and in 2013 only by less than a thousand units. Wouldn't call that a wide margin....

Very true and I took that into consideration, but as you can see in my review above some of the things that I did not like are by "default" and not due to any condition. It is a nice car for the right purpose, it just does not fit mine.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith

Source? 2012 they didn't and in 2013 only by less than a thousand units. Wouldn't call that a wide margin....

Total sales, not just year by year. You get to call it whatever you want to, I was just pointing out that the new Stang is not the end all be all of modern pony cars. Just another great choice available...

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Very true and I took that into consideration, but as you can see in my review above some of the things that I did not like are by "default" and not due to any condition. It is a nice car for the right purpose, it just does not fit mine.

Agreed, and BTW appreciate the broad spectrum review with little bias.

It seemed to me that at least some of the ride, noise, and handling issues you mentioned could be attributable to tires. I think everyone here may agree that factory tires are often eclipsed by aftermarket offerings...

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
So how does it handle on anything other than freeways? How about steering feel and feedback? Care to make any comparisons to other vehicles?

On dry roads, it hugged the curves like glue, even sharp ones negotiated at more than twice the recommended speed. The steering was "positive", but not heavy and required little effort. On a wet curve that I travel in the FX4 more times than I can count (the exit from IAH), the Camaro wanted to slip whereas the FX4 does not, neither does the Explorer. I really did not care for the way it handled in the rain--but as other have stated, it could be the tires, though these had plenty of tread on them.

The last sports car I drove with regularity was a 1996 LT4 Corvette bought new in 1997. The power curve is obviously quite different, but I have to say on dry roads the comparison was close. Perhaps a small edge to the Camaro versus the 'Vette. As far as drivability, though the Corvette wins hands down despite the 17 year age difference. I drove my Corvette from Houston to Nashville several times and was not fatigued or "beat up". I just turned the Camaro back into the rental company and after putting 540 miles on it, I can definitely say that I would not want to drive it for any distances longer than that. It is just not that type of car (at least for me).

A few pics to remember the occasion:

pOC0gy.jpg

KMR5tc.jpg

CXJLVL.jpg

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My favorite Camaros were the F-bodies. GM screwed up BIG time when they quit making those. The current ones can't compare imo.

Do you mean the last (4th gen) Camaro like mine??

They are ALL considered 'f bodies', from the first 1967 to the present 2014, just different generations (gen 1 to gen 5).

I think that all three ponycars have their strengths and weaknesses. I was prepared to love the 2013 Mustang GT, but I was underwhelmed. Ditto for the SS. I drove a 2013 V6 Challenger for a weekend, and while it was a bit on the slow side, it encouraged me to look for a 2009-2010 SRT8.
It all depends on your priorities; I'm looking for a fun street cruiser. If I didn't already have a couple of track cars I'd be looking for a Boss 302.
Drive what lights YOUR fire and ignore the naysayers and "experts."

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Drive what lights YOUR fire and ignore the naysayers and "experts."

Times a dozen.

It needs to light you up a bit as you walk out into a parking lot. It needs to make you look at it in the garage, then look again, fondly remembering that last spin down that twisted road...etc.

If not then why own it?

My Mustang is a base model GT with the automatic tranny the only option. One thing I find very lacking on this car is the instrumentation. Speedometer, Tach, fuel gauge, and temp gauge and that is it. For a performance car you would think it would at least have a few more gauges.

The other thing that I really hate about the car right now is the factory Pirelli Pzero Nero AS tires. They are the loudest tires I have ever had and I have rotated them every 5,000 miles. They annoy the [censored] out of me to the point I don't even like driving the car. I hate the thought of having to buy new tires at 10,000 miles for tires that still have great tread on them.

I also test drove the Challenger R/T and that was the car I was going to buy because I think it's the best looking out of the three but the MDS system in the automatic equipped cars I drove basically changed my mind. The switching back and forth between 4cyl and 8cyl was very noticeable to me and it felt like the car was always missing when it did this. The SA said that some people have told him the same thing and that some people seem overly sensitive to how this system performs. The manual equipped cars don't have this system but that's out for me because I have a bad left knee that doesn't tolerate much clutch action.

I wish there was somewhere around her to rent a performance car because I would like to rent a Challenger R/T for the week to see if I could get used to the MDS system.

Wayne

A lovely car.

Several moderate bumps on I-10 in Louisiana threatened to flip my stomach.

Why do you think I want to leave the state? That's normal for roads here. Sorry it affected your time with the car, though.

I wish there was somewhere around her to rent a performance car because I would like to rent a Challenger R/T for the week to see if I could get used to the MDS system.Wayne

Wayne, I sincerely hope you can find a dealer that will help you.

I called 4 about a 48 hour to 72 hour test drive. 2 flat out said no, one said come down and fill out a credit app, and the 4th said come on over anytime and we'll get one ready for you.

Just got to find the right dealership, there are a few with decent customer service!!!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Do you mean the last (4th gen) Camaro like mine??

Yep. The 93-02. Those are my all time fave Camaro/Trans Am body styles. They look like an "exotic muscle car". I think your body style Camaro blows away the new ones hands down!
cheers3.gif
The current ones look really goofy. Almost like big square marshmallows.

My Mustang is a base model GT with the automatic tranny the only option. One thing I find very lacking on this car is the instrumentation. Speedometer, Tach, fuel gauge, and temp gauge and that is it. For a performance car you would think it would at least have a few more gauges.

The other thing that I really hate about the car right now is the factory Pirelli Pzero Nero AS tires. They are the loudest tires I have ever had and I have rotated them every 5,000 miles. They annoy the [censored] out of me to the point I don't even like driving the car. I hate the thought of having to buy new tires at 10,000 miles for tires that still have great tread on them.

I also test drove the Challenger R/T and that was the car I was going to buy because I think it's the best looking out of the three but the MDS system in the automatic equipped cars I drove basically changed my mind. The switching back and forth between 4cyl and 8cyl was very noticeable to me and it felt like the car was always missing when it did this. The SA said that some people have told him the same thing and that some people seem overly sensitive to how this system performs. The manual equipped cars don't have this system but that's out for me because I have a bad left knee that doesn't tolerate much clutch action.

I wish there was somewhere around her to rent a performance car because I would like to rent a Challenger R/T for the week to see if I could get used to the MDS system.

Wayne

You know you can shut off mds my manually shifting gears and keeping it in 5th instead of getting it into drive right.

When I bought my charger I noticed MDS engaging by the sound of the exhaust but it's now a must have for me.
Who doesn't want 400 pounds of torque on tap and still net better than 25mpg on the highway.
MDS is a great system and I won't buy a dodge without it now after owning the one I've got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back