Rented a 2017 Mustang Ecoboost for vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the car for 7 days and put about 800 miles on it. Thought I'd share some of my thoughts since driving it.

Pros:

Looks: The car looks sharp. I had mixed feelings when the 2015 debuted. The styling won me over. There might be a lot of them on the road, but it looks good in my opinion.

Feels and drives like a small vehicle: Compared to the Camaro and Challenger, the new Mustang feels small. Easy to park, maneuver in traffic. I felt like I was driving something small like a focus or civic and not a mustang. But maybe that's just because I like and am used to larger vehicles.

Fuel Economy: 280 mile drive. It was in Florida so the roads were all flat and open, but even so averaging 80-90mph on the FL turnpike netted me 26.3MPG on the tank. To me that's pretty impressive.

Performance: I loved the 2.3L ecoboost in the Mustang. It moves out like it's nobody's business. Turbo lag was nothing I noticed to be distracting. 60-90mph is this cars sweet spot and was very useful for passing and getting around town. As a daily, this might be more fun than the 5.0. Past those speeds I wasn't able to test it but it was much more than unexpected.

Cons:

Handling: I didn't care for the handling on the mustang. To me it felt too electronically assisted and more like a FWD Honda than I expected. Many characteristics of a RWD platform felt absent here. I tried all the steering and handling modes and didn't really care for any of them. Maybe ford has different setups based on the engine combo. I'm not sure.

Feels and drives like a small vehicle: goes back to handling. This can be looked at as a pro or con depending on what you want. Short trip daily driving, this could be something I live with. Long cruises, it wasn't what I expected.

Interior and driving comfort: the interior looks nice, but when you really inspect stuff you can see how much of the interior is cheap. A decent amount of rattles for only having 1700 miles on it. As far as comfort is concerned it was a pretty uncomfortable drive all week. Back seats, sure I understand them being terrible. But the front too... narrow and just uncomfortable. Bad legroom and I am a small dude (5'11"/155lbs).

If we could get this much time on a potential buy, I am sure many people would end up with a different vehicle. Either way the ecoboost is pretty darn impressive and I was impressed overall.

And the biggest positive was that the kids loved it!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Sharp car, what a fun rental. Thanks for the mini-review. I think when me and the Mrs. take a trip out to Ithaca later this year for some wine and relaxation... I want to rent something.

The Coyote is no slouch in these cars, but the boosted 4cyl makes a lot of sense in the DD/decent weather locale.

What company were you able to rent this from? How were the costs?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!! Two girls !! Just wait until the teen years! Yikes if anything like my daughter.

We went through enterprise. We didn't plan on this vehicle. But the airport enterprise had so many exotics and convertibles we asked about an upgrade. I didn't even know it was the 4cyl until we drove off the Lot with it.
$73 a day was the charge.

You want a 'stang get an "affordable" '69 MACH 1, 390ci, 4 speed. Then you'll feel like your driving something. An the value will sat the same or go up - NOT DOWN 10g FIRST WEEK OF OWNERSHIP.

I was in my BIL new Fusion with 2L ecoboost. Nice car - if your into that for less money Ill take ke my rogue. At least you can load junk in it, it goes in snow and you don't need a ladder to get up on the curb. Chair height seating is a wonderful thing once you get accustomed to easy ingress/egress it spoils you.

Restored-1969-Mustang-Mach-1-S-Code-390-muscle-car.png

Last edited:
My brother owns a 2005, and I had a 2012 for a while. I really like that entire chassis generation, they drive great, handle well, ride well and offer a surprising amount of leg room. I'm 6'3" and am very comfortable (or at least reasonably comfy) in those years.

Sorry to hear that's changed.

I came very close to buying a 2015 GT with the Performance Package. It's a great car; I only wish that the PP suspension was a bit more track capable.

I'm surprised by your conclusion after commenting how uncomfortable the seats are, especially given your much less than average weight. [Note: the new Camaro has the same problem] Add in the poor handling and it makes me wonder just how bad a car would have to be for you to be overall negative. Another big problem for turbo fours (especially in FL) is the dramatic power cut as soon as you turn on the a/c. I do like the styling of the newest 'Stang but if it's not comfortable, doesn't handle and doesn't have an HO V8, I have no use for it.

I should have been more clear, sorry about that. I had no problem with the actual seats and how comfortable they were. Never been too picky with that stuff, they were fine. We did two 250+ mile trips and that's where I noticed how small and confined it felt in the vehicle. That was what made in uncomfortable for me.

The handling just wasn't my cup of tea. It was tight but it felt too contained for me. If it was another vehicle I probably wouldn't have made mention of it. But I was expecting more of what I've had driven in other RWD vehicles with some muscle. I'm sure it would do better on the track than say a new Challenger, but I actually like how you have to be a little more aware of pushing something like that around a corner. Maybe it's just my age starting to catch up with me.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
I'm surprised by your conclusion after commenting how uncomfortable the seats are, especially given your much less than average weight. [Note: the new Camaro has the same problem] Add in the poor handling and it makes me wonder just how bad a car would have to be for you to be overall negative. Another big problem for turbo fours (especially in FL) is the dramatic power cut as soon as you turn on the a/c. I do like the styling of the newest 'Stang but if it's not comfortable, doesn't handle and doesn't have an HO V8, I have no use for it.

I don't notice any power cut in the Jetta...

Originally Posted By: jigen

As far as comfort is concerned it was a pretty uncomfortable drive all week. Back seats, sure I understand them being terrible. But the front too... narrow and just uncomfortable.

I guess everybody is different, and I am very particular about seats. I rent Mustang's with regularity. Those Mustang seats fit me wonderfully. I simply find the Mustang to be about the most comfortable car out there. In particular, if I am going to be doing a long trip, the Mustang is a first choice!

While there are different trim levels, I like 'em all.

I'm 5 foot 10, 205 pounds with a long torso and shorter legs, and athletic. So maybe it's designed for someone my size.

I typically despise GM's seat offerings. Ford's just fit me well. Do you find GM cars more comfortable?

Originally Posted By: buck91
My brother owns a 2005, and I had a 2012 for a while. I really like that entire chassis generation, they drive great, handle well, ride well and offer a surprising amount of leg room. I'm 6'3" and am very comfortable (or at least reasonably comfy) in those years.

Sorry to hear that's changed.

The S550 is in a different class than the S197 chassis you speak of. It's not even close. Ride, and handling are drastically better in the new car. Drive one, and you'll understand.

It's a drivers Race between the Coyote 5.0, and the LS3 Powered Camaros. Since when was 435 HP not High output? New Mustangs handle very well. Not the best handling out there, but still very good.
Now the new LT1 Camaro is a different story. It pulls away from the Coyote 5.0 with relative ease.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Anthony

It's a drivers Race between the Coyote 5.0, and the LS3 Powered Camaros. Since when was 435 HP not High output? They also handle very well. Not the best out there, but definitely not bad.
Now the new LT1 Camaro is a different story. It pulls away from the Coyote 5.0 with relative ease.

Last edited:
Interior and driving comfort: the interior looks nice, but when you really inspect stuff you can see how much of the interior is cheap. A decent amount of rattles for only having 1700 miles on it.

I think this is what the Mustang has been about for many decades. You're buying performance and image with a Mustang, and not a top quality interior. It sounds no different today than in the early '90s when my dad bought a '92 5.0 LX brand new. Fantastically fun car! The interior plastics would have made Tupperware chuckle, but you didn't buy one for the soft-touch dash.

I think the styling on the current generation is the best it's been in years.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

This, only IMO it is the best looking Stang ever! The tension in that shape is palpable, it's ready to pounce!

But it really is aimed at a specific niche and because of that they had to cut somewhere to make a price point...

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Interior and driving comfort: the interior looks nice, but when you really inspect stuff you can see how much of the interior is cheap. A decent amount of rattles for only having 1700 miles on it.

I think this is what the Mustang has been about for many decades. You're buying performance and image with a Mustang, and not a top quality interior. It sounds no different today than in the early '90s when my dad bought a '92 5.0 LX brand new. Fantastically fun car! The interior plastics would have made Tupperware chuckle, but you didn't buy one for the soft-touch dash.

I find it more noticeable because these new platforms are very smooth daily drivers and very quiet on the inside. My 2002 Z28 was a rattle box but the whole ride was loud, these new vehicles are pretty refined so the noises are more amplified. VW and Honda (and now dare I say Chrysler/Fiat) is making affordable vehicles with better snapped together interiors so I guess I am expecting the same with Ford. This is my experience with most newer fords though. Not just the Mustang. I would say the price points are higher than the past and the interiors are definitely designed and laid out to be more than just doing the job. They are more premium than any ford you would grab, say, before 2009?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back