Rental opinions on 200? Chevy Cobalt sedan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good sight lines (Way better than the coupe versions which I've also rented)
Stereo has a speed-sensitive volume control and MP3 jack (I drive an old car) AWESOME.
Drives very nicely. Seats are comfortable. Quiet on the highway.
Controls laid out well.

DISLIKES:
Triangular side-view mirrors
Lower-quality dash material

I give it a B+. I would purchase one IF the long term reliability went up from where CR puts it at. I know, I know.......CR knows nothing. All I can say is my 2001 Civic has been bulletproof until the alt went out at 180k. That gets replaced tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
CR knows nothing.

I realize that was tongue in cheek, but CR knows more that any of the people saying it knows nothing.

It's pretty good for an entry level car and as "basic" transportation.

I would buy one if I had the need for this class of vehicle.

Chris I agree completely with your likes and dislikes. I own a 2007 totally basic, LS 4dr model. Mine does not have the speed sensitive volume control for the radio, but all Cobalts have the nifty dash display for coolant temp, outside temp, oil life, MPG, etc.. they all have auto headlamps as well. My ~$27K Odyssey doesn't have those features. The interior is definitely on the low end as you'd expect for the $, but the form/function/fit is good. IMO, the only thing that get's old is the lower roof height and low seating position. The new Aveo has higher up, more comfortable seating to me. It's been a great car for me. I average ~32mpg tank/tank. In 30Kmi, the only thing other than oil changes is, it's getting ready for it's new set of Khumo Solus KH16 tires.

Joel

My 09 has performed flawless in the 6k miles that I have had it. Fit & finish is perfect. Averaging about 31mpg

I rented a 2008 LS sedan for a very extended period of time last year, 4 months I think. Put a LOT of miles on it. I was impressed, but I would spring for the LT model with power windows and cruise. Those aren't as easy to find used. Used 2008 ex-rentals sell for $10K or less depending on the part of the country you're in. I've seen 2007 models with about 50K on them going for $7K-$8K.

The Cobalt/(Saturn ION) are decent basic transportation. I just got done reading reviews & feedback at TTAC about Hyundai & Kia's base level cars...wow...unbelievably sub-par for the 200K lifespan. The Cobalt came up time & time again as a better value and a better chance of being good-to-go for the long haul after 100K.

Any interest I had in Kia/Hyundai was squelched by looking at the people who wrote their opinions back to the editor.

Am I wrong in thinking that the Cobalt interior is much nicer than the 09 Corolla? Both are cheap, but there are some pieces in the Corolla that really feel like they are going to break off in your hand. The climate control knobs are what really get me in the Corolla. You can barely turn the knob that directs the air to the floor, panel, defrost.

It's a pity that GM decided to use the previous, long-in-the-tooth Opel Astra design to base the Cobalt on. They could have brought the significantly nicer "Saturn" Astra here earlier, and refined the somewhat puzzling Euro interior dash and controls to more North American tastes...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
It's a pity that GM decided to use the previous, long-in-the-tooth Opel Astra design to base the Cobalt on. They could have brought the significantly nicer "Saturn" Astra here earlier, and refined the somewhat puzzling Euro interior dash and controls to more North American tastes...

Right, and had a car that would have to sell for over $20,000 to be profitable.

By using the Delta platform, costs can be contained and money can be spent in other ways, like improved sound deadening, better trans mounts to reduce vibration and higher quality interior plastics. The Cobalt may not be the greatest car in the world but its eons better than the old Cavalier and price competitive in the market.

While the Saturn Astra is a better car, its a lot more expensive and sales are dismal, only a few hundred units per month. By comparison, Chevy sells close to 20,000 Cobalts monthly.

I rented a Cobalt a couple of months back and LOVED it. I posted a thread on it. My mpg was about 29 IIRC. Not great but not bad. The switch gear was surprisingly high quality. It was on my short list but I got a little jittery about the General's state of the union....

I have to disagree, I like (older) GMs mostly, but wasn't impressed with the Cobalt. I cant imagine how bad the Cavis must have handled & 'felt' if the Cobalt is a big step up.

It was an '07 @ 22k

On the + side
Motor still ran quiet, no body or interior squeaks or rattles.
Good on the freeway 70+

On the - side
My $2,000 Protege w/ 155k on the 1.8l was noticeably quicker to 60/70, also handled better than the Cobalt. To be fair maybe I should compare it to the Aveo (
LOL.gif
- I dont think so..) I guess that's drive-by-wire but its like you weren't even driving the car, I mind as well have been in the back seat.

GM forgot to put a trunk on it, and the quarter panel/profile shows it. Looks annoyingly bad, IMO. But I do like the tail-lamp design of the coupe version (Nod to the '61 Impala)

Stock sound system is a joke, and its an extra $90 to put in an aftermarket stereo without losing all the accessory lights and warning chimes. Same way on the malibu classics.

Interior really is pretty $hitty. Ditto the classics.

The '96 Mazda was totaled by a DWI driver so I was rolling around in the '07 Cobalt for about a week, checking it out. All-in-all my 12 year old $2000 Mazda beat the 2 year old $9000 Cobalt hands down with 2 exceptions - interior space and 75+ on freeways, which could have been corrected on the Mazda with decent sized rims. And to anybody thinking I'm just a GM/Domestic hater - my departed 96 Lumina would have stomped them both and still averaged 26 mpg doing it.

Originally Posted By: OldDirtyBaytown

Stock sound system is a joke, and its an extra $90 to put in an aftermarket stereo without losing all the accessory lights and warning chimes.

$34 for a GM Class II interface these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back