Rental Cars - how do you treat them?

I can neither confirm nor deny that in the late 90's a group of folks working in the 12v electronics industry swapped the interiors of 2 rental Dodge Neon's. One grey one beige. The grey one went back with a beige interior and the beige one went back with the grey.

Don't host a large car stereo show in a boring town with nothing to do after hours and have a group of skilled people with tools....and beer.

To be young and stupid.

That's hilarious!

I drive them how I drive my own vehicles. To me, it’s slightly more aggressive than the average person, to my wife I drive like I’m qualifying so take that how you will. But I’m not doing WOT pulls on a cold engine or roasting tires just because I can. Best rental I’ve had was a 2016 Dodge Charger R/T enterprise felt like giving me (in their words, “I’m not putting you in a minivan, but I’m also not supposed to do this because you’re under 25 so be careful please”) and I fed it the recommended 89 octane exclusively.

That being said, our Grand Caravan is an ex enterprise rental vehicle. It was a year old and had 40k on it at the time and ~50% off MSRP of a new one with Chryslers 7 year/100k CPO power train warranty.

I do verify under the hood, check the dipstick. They've always been full and the oil not inky black.

They get the cheapest gas I can find, and run good on it.

Only car I ever beat on was a Nissan CVT, but that's because it wouldn't go, otherwise.

Generally, if I am renting a car, it is because I need wheels to reliably get me from place to place away from home. So, I am depending on the car to get me where I need to go, and come back from.

As a result, i am not going to abuse the car, or do anything that might cause it to break.

When I was younger I treated them terrible! But I grew up and now I treat them like I own them. The major rental companies won't rent to anyone under 25 and here's why. In 92 when I was 19 my girlfriend rented a little Saturn and it had a manual transmission, I did a 5th to first thing and it didn't work to good then, let it cool off over night then adjusted the clutch cable completely out, no hydraulics, and sent her limping back with it and told her to tell the guy" it didn't go good no more". She said he just shook his head. Ripped the transmission pan off of a Nissan Maxima in 93 on a dirt road going way to fast outside of Jerome Arizona, in 94 I had a close call as a passenger with a bit of a riptide on Daytona Beach in a Ford Taurus, we were getting sucked out to sea pretty fast and I was ready to jump out but somehow he saved it.

I didn't treat my own stuff much better back then either.

In 2010 I was going 90 mph on Interstate 40 in New Mexico and my rented Chrysler 200 started aquaplaning, I slowed down and when I checked the tires they all had about 90 psi. 2014 in Philly I watched a guy at the rental return prep the cars and he put air in every tire every time, didn't check then just added a little, so I got a gauge and checked ours and they were all between 45 and 80 psi. Now if I am going to be driving a rental for more than a day I check the air in the tires.

I would think twice about buying a rental.

I tend to treat rentals about the same as my own vehicles, although if it's an underpowered vehicle I don't mind putting the throttle all the way down to accelerate onto freeways and such.
Same with me...though I generally do the same thing with my Accent, for the same reason.

I will acknowledge that the "throwing it in Park on the highway" might seem extreme...but it isn't. I would only do this in cars that I knew my company supplied the parts for, and I witnessed thousands of hours of tests in labs doing just that, and there had to be ZERO failures (safety critical), so while you might think it was EXTREME, I was replicating something that I had complete faith in.

The other things...brake stands, redlines, burnouts...well a photojournalist does it, and it is in the name of science and reporting. I do it, and I am abusing it...meh. I have done a brake stand in my own car, how else to you measure a good 0-60? If my car is capable, I will do a burnout - I do Auto-X after all, and it is hard to get a good start without it. I had my Buick sideways nearly as much as it was straight on my way to work this morning in the snow, it was a ton of fun.

Driving is a ton of fun, and cars were meant to be driven. They are tested at extreme conditions, and with modern computer control, I would argue it is nearly impossible to abuse them. They won't let the car do something it won't survive.

If a couple brake stands, and a burn-out destroy your car, then it was already on its last legs. It sounds like there are a LOT of folks on here who never experience or appreciate the capabilities of their cars. What a waste of engineering and technology.
So photo journalists do it? You do realize that press pool cars supplied by manufacturers for journalists to abuse are usually scrapped after they have served thier purpose. Throwing a car in park while cruising? Ok so it shouldn't hurt anything, but what's the point? Why don't you try this in your next rental: open the hood, get a hose and spray the engine with water then soak yourself with water. Next start the engine and the grab onto the coil packs with your wet hands and see if you get shocked. You shouldn't get shocked, but why do it?

Honest answer: depends on the agency, depends on the vehicle. I started renting recreationally as soon as I turned 25, almost exclusively with National due to their "Emerald Aisle" followed by access to the "Executive Aisle" gained through my Amex.

When it came to the cars from National, I treated them with the utmost respect. One of National's selling points was their focus on maintaining a young, diverse, low-mileage fleet and it showed. Even the basic options presented well: no 50k mile Versa's at the National lot that's for sure.

My single best experience with National occurred while visiting family in Spokane. Small airport, smaller rental inventory. As an Emerald Club executive member, I quickly found that most counter agents were more than happy to give me a vehicle WELL outside my midsize reservation.

For those unfamiliar: As an Executive member, making a reservation for at least a midsize car grants access to a dedicated "Executive Aisle" of choices guaranteed to be at least one tier above a midsize. Not all airports provide aisle service, in which case said executive member is guaranteed at least a 2 class upgrade.

GEG happens to be one of those airports. Before I ever approached the counter, I walked out to the lot and surveyed my options. After rows of Buicks and Jeeps, I spotted her: a brand new Infiniti QX56. Pearl white over black, sitting wayyyyy back away from every other car.

I walked in and up to the counter, did the usual yada yada, during which the agent revealed the bore-fest I'd been assigned. Fully expecting to be rebuffed, I mentioned the QX I'd seen and asked about an upgrade (with full intent on an upcharge). Long story short, I was handed the keys to a fresh off the truck, plastic still on the interior, 175 mile beast of a weekend ride for NO CHARGE. I think I washed that thing 3 times in the 5 days I had it.

Honest answer: depends on the agency, depends on the vehicle. I started renting recreationally as soon as I turned 25, almost exclusively with National due to their "Emerald Aisle" followed by access to the "Executive Aisle" gained through my Amex.

When it came to the cars from National, I treated them with the utmost respect. One of National's selling points was their focus on maintaining a young, diverse, low-mileage fleet and it showed. Even the basic options presented well: no 50k mile Versa's at the National lot that's for sure.

My single best experience with National occurred while visiting family in Spokane. Small airport, smaller rental inventory. As an Emerald Club executive member, I quickly found that most counter agents were more than happy to give me a vehicle WELL outside my midsize reservation.

For those unfamiliar: As an Executive member, making a reservation for at least a midsize car grants access to a dedicated "Executive Aisle" of choices guaranteed to be at least one tier above a midsize. Not all airports provide aisle service, in which case said executive member is guaranteed at least a 2 class upgrade.

GEG happens to be one of those airports. Before I ever approached the counter, I walked out to the lot and surveyed my options. After rows of Buicks and Jeeps, I spotted her: a brand new Infiniti QX56. Pearl white over black, sitting wayyyyy back away from every other car.

I walked in and up to the counter, did the usual yada yada, during which the agent revealed the bore-fest I'd been assigned. Fully expecting to be rebuffed, I mentioned the QX I'd seen and asked about an upgrade (with full intent on an upcharge). Long story short, I was handed the keys to a fresh off the truck, plastic still on the interior, 175 mile beast of a weekend ride for NO CHARGE. I think I washed that thing 3 times in the 5 days I had it.

I always rent from National's Executive Aisle as well and they always have newer, low mileage and well equipped cars. I'm usually on a leisure trip or headed to a work meeting, the last thing on my mind is beating the crap out of a rental car. I just want to get my destination in a clean, comfortable car.

I always rent from National's Executive Aisle as well and they always have newer, low mileage and well equipped cars. I'm usually on a leisure trip or headed to a work meeting, the last thing on my mind is beating the crap out of a rental car. I just want to get my destination in a clean, comfortable car.

Appreciate the comment RE: the National experience.

That being said, allow me to play devil's advocate: On one specific occasion (my birthday), I reserved my usual midsize (aisle eligible) car in hopes of sweet talking my way into a Ghibli for the weekend. I never expected said request to be comp'd, however I did negotiate my way down to a $75/day upgrade charge vs. the initial $200 quote.

The interaction lasted a little over an hour as various employees/managers were consulted, each time presenting me with a different reason why a Ghibli couldn't be provided. In the end, after much patience and brown nosing, I was presented with a freshly washed Ghibli to enjoy for the weekend.

My joy was short lived, as the car turned out to be a basket case. I won't break down the issues one by one, I'll summarize by saying that upon return I asked to speak with the branch manager for no other reason than to alert HIM to the vehicle faults. Without so much as a nudge, he comped me the entire upgrade fee for the rental, meaning I paid round about $150 for what should have been a $700 weekend rental.

Back