Rental Car Damage Waivers - Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes you can also get a free damage waiver, if you rent through a special group, or through an employer.

I get free damage waiver, and rates that are about half price through my employer.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Sometimes you can also get a free damage waiver, if you rent through a special group, or through an employer.

I get free damage waiver, and rates that are about half price through my employer.

Yep, we get the waiver as part of our corporate rate. It also extends to personal rentals.

Coworker of mine accidentally misjudged the car's perimeter once and sideswiped the side of it against a concrete barrier, turning everything yellow. Returned it the next day and said, "sorry". His out-of-pocket cost? $0

The only claim I've ever had, in at least 200 rentals, was a car that was stolen in Trinidad. AMEX wasn't happy, but they paid.

I was rear ended (while stopped) in France. I had checked the car out well before leaving the rental place (it had a few scrapes, marks, etc), but an Audi made some even better marks on my rental Renault Megane's back bumper.

After spending a lot of worried hours over completion of required forms, the rental company (EuropCar) staff, when they found out I had Visa GoldCard coverage, said "don't worry about it" and insisted I didn't need to complete any forms.

I called Visa when I got back to my rented home and they said they'd probably get stuck with the repair bill, irrespective of whose fault it was, but "don't worry about it".

When I took the car back I pointed out the new scrapes, but the agent said, "One mark, two marks, what's the difference?" and that was the end of the accident and insurance matters.

So check out rental cars really well and record all those little scrapes.

By the way I really liked the Megane, a diesel with a manual transmission, though I never did figure out how to turn on the low beam headlights. I had fog lights or brights, which wasn't that great a combination. Oh and about 6 pages in French on how to use the headlights.

Declined the waiver. Car got vandalized or hit while parked---its a little unclear. Car company tried to charge me 1400 or some ungodly amount for loss of use. They (Enterprise) backed down, supposedly because I had USAA insurance.

Ultimately they treated me OK, but it kind of irked me that their first impulse was to treat my misfortune as a profit opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back