Rental 2021 Toyota CH-R

Rented a 21 CH-R with 30k miles for a week. It’s a nice economy car. The exterior looks are a little much and creates a blind spot with the small rear windows but inside it feels like a Toyota. I got used to it. Drives better than other economy level cars we have gotten from Ford and Hyundai. Performance is adequate. Noise isn’t too bad. Big enough not to get blown off the road. The only let down is the economy of an economy car. How are we going backwards in MPG ? It struggled to get combined 30mpg or better with mostly freeway driving with the eco options all on. All freeway it got maybe 32mpg. Hardly better than my 98 328i which isn’t even an economy car. Other than that it did it’s job comfortably.

The thing about CH-R, is that North America gets the version that doesn't make sense. It was never meant to be what it is here. The Japanese market C-HR has either 1.2L turbo, or 1.8L Hybrid. FWD is standard, while 1.2L Turbo can be had with AWD. Did I mention that 1.2L turbo came with a six speed manual? Seeing all this makes more sense to me about the way it looks and performs. Cross Hatch Run–about. Oh, and it was also supposed to be a Scion initially, also explains the looks. RIP Scion...
Anyways, reason why US never got the 1.2L turbo, is because Yaris GR was on the horizon. And reason why US never got the hybrid version, is because it would steal the sales of Prius Prime, or so Toyota feared. So yea, lame 2.0L & CVT is all it's gonna have... But it could've been so much more... And it is much more, but only in the rest of the world. Not here unfortunately...

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the CH-R style either and the blind spots for driving are terrible IMO. I need a better view outward/all'round since I'm older. O don't like the claustrophobic feel inside of a vehicle. Which is why the Camaro doesn't do it for me either. Too many blind spots though the car looks okay.

It's alright, but nothing special
Fun fact, if you look at it's face, and slightly non corporate look, AND it's out of brand naming scheme
You'll realize it wasn't supposed to be a Toyota
It was designed and to be launched as a Scion, but they hastily rebranded it when they discontinued the brand

My wife looked at it before she bought her Rav4 in 2020. The Rav4 was a few thousand more and you get a lot more vehicle for that money and my wife does a lot of highway driving so the extra heft and about the mpg made it an easy decision. The CH-R is good if you live in an urban area and the smaller size is advantageous for parking and maneuvering in tight spaces.

Loved the looks at first sight, but then I drove one. That cool body makes promises the drivetrain can't deliver. One of the more sluggish newer vehicles I've driven yet. Desperately needs the 2.4 or a 2.0 turbo, and all-wheel drive at least as an option. Thought I wanted one until I pulled out onto the highway with it. A swing and a miss.

Reactions: FZ1
The thing about CH-R, is that North America gets the version that doesn't make sense. It was never meant to be what it is here. The Japanese market C-HR has either 1.2L turbo, or 1.8L Hybrid. FWD is standard, while 1.2L Turbo can be had with AWD. Did I mention that 1.2L turbo came with a six speed manual? Seeing all this makes more sense to me about the way it looks and performs. Cross Hatch Run–about. Oh, and it was also supposed to be a Scion initially, also explains the looks. RIP Scion...
Anyways, reason why US never got the 1.2L turbo, is because Yaris GR was on the horizon. And reason why US never got the hybrid version, is because it would steal the sales of Prius Prime, or so Toyota feared. So yea, lame 2.0L & CVT is all it's gonna have... But it could've been so much more... And it is much more, but only in the rest of the world. Not here unfortunately...
The 1.2 turbo manual may be what this needs. Not sure how it would do on our long straight highways. Maybe their thinking? Some of the small turbo motors don’t seem to like cruising over 70mph, not breaking down but just not comfortable hearing to Poor little motor screaming for hours and of course the MPG suffers at 4krpm cruise

The 1.2 turbo manual may be what this needs. Not sure how it would do on our long straight highways. Maybe their thinking? Some of the small turbo motors don’t seem to like cruising over 70mph, not breaking down but just not comfortable hearing to Poor little motor screaming for hours and of course the MPG suffers at 4krpm cruise
This may have been the case a decade ago, but today the little Fiats and Jeep Renegades come with 1.4 naturally aspirated and 1.3-turbo. I have seen quite a few Jeep Renegades with over 300k on the odometer, despite tiny engine with a turbo. So if Jeep/Fiat could pull it off, why can't Toyota?

This may have been the case a decade ago, but today the little Fiats and Jeep Renegades come with 1.4 naturally aspirated and 1.3-turbo. I have seen quite a few Jeep Renegades with over 300k on the odometer, despite tiny engine with a turbo. So if Jeep/Fiat could pull it off, why can't Toyota?
I’m saying the perception of the motor not enjoying high speed cruising, not the actual damage. Fiats and Jeep renegades do fine but on the highway they sure don’t sound like it. Much the same with a Euro V8 on the opposite end. They sound like they will go forever then are non stop problems. Just perception

Most professional reviews aren't professional.

Toyota tends to move along at their own pace.

Funny that there are many vehicles that seemed to go completely backward with MPG.... using RPMs to make powertrain tolerably peppy doesn't work!

I'll take a CH-R with the 2.5/8speed from the Camry. Don't care for unpowered engines that many automakers throw in vehicles. The 2.5 with a 6 speed manual would be a jewel. Too bad it only has a 2.0/cvt. So many great cars out there with horribly ineffective powertrains. Many automakers don't even try! Is there a hybrid? Rav4/Venza hybrid is excellent. Rav4 actually improves with the hybrid(and not even talking about the prime). Venza is hybrid only. CH-R could be saved with some thinking hybrid and/or turbo. 1.2T FWD, without crazy power but tons of torque, and a well geared auto or manual would do wonders for the CH-R as a commuter. For example, those 1.3-1.6T products from GM, VW, Nissan, Hyundai... all were pretty good for MPG and better power than many NA 1.8-2.5L competitors.

Most new small turbo'd engines that I've driven enjoy cruising at high speed. This isn't 1986 anymore.
They tend to be geared perfectly and have tons of low end torque. Only penalty is a blip of lag.
Without strain, this 1.4T could run all day at 100mph if the highways allowed it, and still beat the CH-R's MPG and acceleration, along with various similar vehicles from other automakers equipped with overstrained boring powertrains.

1.4tcruising.jpg

I wouldn’t call it garbage. It’s better driving than a lot of economy cars. Still has the Toyota feel. Some rentals I get feel and sound old with 10-20k miles. It’s shocking.

I would think with rentals the variable is the drivers and how it's driven.

Most professional reviews aren't professional.

Toyota tends to move along at their own pace.

Funny that there are many vehicles that seemed to go completely backward with MPG.... using RPMs to make powertrain tolerably peppy doesn't work!

I'll take a CH-R with the 2.5/8speed from the Camry. Don't care for unpowered engines that many automakers throw in vehicles. The 2.5 with a 6 speed manual would be a jewel. Too bad it only has a 2.0/cvt. So many great cars out there with horribly ineffective powertrains. Many automakers don't even try! Is there a hybrid? Rav4/Venza hybrid is excellent. Rav4 actually improves with the hybrid(and not even talking about the prime). Venza is hybrid only. CH-R could be saved with some thinking hybrid and/or turbo. 1.2T FWD, without crazy power but tons of torque, and a well geared auto or manual would do wonders for the CH-R as a commuter. For example, those 1.3-1.6T products from GM, VW, Nissan, Hyundai... all were pretty good for MPG and better power than many NA 1.8-2.5L competitors.

Most new small turbo'd engines that I've driven enjoy cruising at high speed. This isn't 1986 anymore.
They tend to be geared perfectly and have tons of low end torque. Only penalty is a blip of lag.
Without strain, this 1.4T could run all day at 100mph if the highways allowed it, and still beat the CH-R's MPG and acceleration, along with various similar vehicles from other automakers equipped with overstrained boring powertrains.

View attachment 120100
This so stereotypical of this forum.......

Back