Renault/Nissan Interested in Stake in GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why on earth would Renault/Nissan want to buy into the pile of garbage that we call GM? What does Nissan really need from GM? Maybe it's more for the GM unit in Europe.

It is however just a matter of time before both GM and Ford are owned by other companies.

quote:

Originally posted by Gilitar:
Why on earth would Renault/Nissan want to buy into the pile of garbage that we call GM? What does Nissan really need from GM? Maybe it's more for the GM unit in Europe. .....

Renault bought a 45% stake into Nissan when they were on the ropes a few years. Turned the company around and made it profitable. So I guess the answer would be to make money.

GM needs to break the unions and the high union cost labor back down to what is truly market for the jobs they perform. Car manufactuering is so automated that what little hands on that is being performed is semi-skilled at best and does not command the wages in the rest of the real world in the USA.

Hootbro

[ July 01, 2006, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: Hootbro ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
I doubt GM's desperate enough to let Renault get any part of the company yet.

Do you know something that fox news, GM, and Nissan do not know?

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
I doubt GM's desperate enough to let Renault get any part of the company yet.

Don't kid yourself. GM is a sinking ship and they know that they need help ASAP.

quote:

Originally posted by Gilitar:
Why on earth would Renault/Nissan want to buy into the pile of garbage that we call GM? What does Nissan really need from GM? Maybe it's more for the GM unit in Europe.

It is however just a matter of time before both GM and Ford are owned by other companies.

Brokered allowance. There's something that would cost more if GM doesn't get a helping hand. On some tertiary level this is being "managed".

Is this the same Renault that brought us the Alliance and Premier (not sure about these model names) from a joint venture with Chrysler and walked away from warranty issues. I've never owned one, but I remember reading about them.

Is this Renault a public company or a subsidized French Government appendage?

Just trying to broaden my knowledge about this possible merger.

Remember the FIAT Deal with The Agnelli Family, where GM paid FIAT s.p.a. $2 Billion, not to have to buy FIAT's automotive division? GM had invested and formed a working partnership with FIAT. I recall that Ferrari was left out of the deal. The CEO of Ferrari was elected the Chairman of the FIAT s.p.a. Empire, Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, with John Elkann, Vice Chairman and Seggio Marchionne as CEO. After all the negotiaions were complete.

I thought why would GM make such a ridiculous and foolish deal?

FIAT s.p.a.will be GM's new alliance partner, buying them with GM's own money! $2oooooooo. Sounds like a deal the Godfather would make! Kirk may have a lot of money, but not as much as Uncle Sam has! Something to consider on this 4th of July Weekend!
dunno.gif
patriot.gif

Posted by Hootbro:
"GM needs to break the unions and the high union cost labor back down to what is truly market for the jobs they perform."

X2
Chris

quote:

QUOTE]Don't kid yourself. GM is a sinking ship and they know that they need help ASAP.

If things got desperate, we would see a government bailout similar to Chrysler's financial mess in the 1980s.

Another poster mentioned busting the unions. Ever wonder how your present job evolved into a middle-class income? You need to thank the auto unions for your nice wages today. Many-many middle class industries that may seem unrelated to the auto business-employee are really a spin-off of it.

There will come a percentage point of midlle class job losses that sends our economy reeling uncontolably - out of control. When that happens, then we become vulnerable to losing our soverenity.

We are very slowly moving in that direction -- possibly someday rendering our soverenity to the rising economies of the European Union. Maybe you want our USA Flag to someday be in a small corner of the European flag -- but I sure don't.

We need to hang on to our middle class. Let the government help -- insist that the foreign automakers manufacture on our soil - to sell there products here.

Renault is a leader carmaker in Europe. The French government is a stable backup and the main shareholder of Renault (10-15 years ago was the one and only shareholder, means the owner). Renault can use the latest of the French technology even cutting edge aerospace from Dassault (Rafale, Mirage, Falcon etc). Check F1 Racing: It is not easy to have a motor which never breaks and being competitive in that kind of advanced top races. Basically Dassault and Renault is the same company (means that the French Government is the main shareholder-owner). Perhaps TOTAL/ELF too. The government fund support for Renault make it an almost unbeatable company in the world's market.

Fortunately, Renault save Nissan from bankruptcy and get it back in profitable business with full support without compromises for Nissan. Nissan is the most advanced carmaker today. This is a good sign for GM if Renault-Nissan Alliance buys a large share.

Renault-Nissan Alliance is a company with its own headship, and for now is a very profitable cooperation.

I think that is a good opportunity for GM shareholders to save their company and get all terminated employees back to work again. And I think that this is a smart move from French to get a share into USA market, perhaps the largest market in the World. If the USA Government do not want the French-Japanese to share GM, should make ASAP a fund support for GM or something to enforce GM keeps as a 100% USA automobile company (and even more).

Also, if Renault-Nissan take a share of GM, the new GM-Renault-Nissan alliance will be the world's best carmaking alliance. Good for them.
I suppose this is a sign of a new era. The carmakers being into alliances will be survive the competition. All the others will be lost. That seems to be the future for now.

I wonder why Ford or Daimler/Chrysler did not make their's move into GM?

Ditto to what doc said. Don't let your old time bias cloud your vision.

I just returned from my 5th trip to France. Leased a Renault for the 5th time, and never had an iota of problems with any of the five.

1989 - Renault 21.
1991 - Renault 21 Diesel
1999 - Renault Laguna II
2002 - Renault Laguna II
2006 - Renault Laguna

Again, never had any problems with any of them.
I have a friend who has a 13 year old Renault Safrane Diesel with 285,000 km (178,000 miles) on it. Only thing he ever had done was to change the alternator, the starter and the clutch. Very dependable car. Another friend with a Renault TwinGo. (small car) She tends to drive it hard and can't tell me when was the last time she changed the oil, but the car goes great (for a small car) and has never let her down.

Although I have always leased Renault, the next time I go, I may change to a Peugeot 607. Will cost me more, but they are the most beautiful French car made.

Again, don't let your old time bias cloud your vision.

Bob

01 GoldWing
02 Continental
03 Marauder

The VQ is a excellent engine but it is not a Renault block.
The VQ started life in 95 as a 3.0 in the
Maxima and has since evolved and adopted many other Nissan and Infiniti platoforms.

I read long ago, it would take a generation for people to forget what happened with the Chryco/Renault debacle.

So their plan is to sneak back in under the guise of saving GM. No thanks. If a Government is going to run GM, let it be a government that answers to the American people and not one from over the pond.

Nissan was once a great vehicle manufacturer, but their products, since French control, have left a lot to be desired. Interesting designs and styling, indeed, but durability and reliability have taken a giant leap backwards.

My family has had a 2000 Frontier and still has a '95 Altima (245K miles) and both have been rugged, durable, reliable vehicles.

I wouldn't consider anything built by them today that didn't have a VQ engine. Their new I-4 2.5L has been plagued by serious issues, and the larger trucks and SUVs, well.......

I agree with Anthony, to my knowledge, the VQ was a Nissan design.

Don't let your old-time biases cloud your vision -

The VQ block that Nissan uses in their best vehicles is a Renault engine.

It is BY FAR the most trouble free engine in the world, look it up.
doc

Letting Renault (Ghosn) save GM would have the benefit of making it appear that ruthless foreigners are the bad guys while getting GM out of burdensome union deals.
High technology is not related to high quality in any sense (F1 team aside), so the proposed new alliance seems a good fit from a QC (or lack of) perspective, while at the same time freshening up 20 year old GM styling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back