Removing transmission, should I replace this clutch?

I'm having to remove the transmission in a diesel Audi A3 to get access to the timing components (Terrible design, but that's another story!) I've taken the transmission off and inspected the clutch, I was going to buy a new clutch but they're about $250. It doesn't look terrible although this is the first manual transmission I've worked on, the car has 70K mikes on it and I see no sign this has been replaced. Would you put this back in or get a new one?
IMG_0073.jpeg

IMG_0074.jpeg

IMG_0072.jpeg

IMG_0071.jpeg

The clutch looks darn nice IMO, you could expect another 130k km min from it - provided it's not used by a doofus. Besides, it's worse for the environment to throw away good usable materials.

Stepping down from my soap box now.

There's a chance that something unrelated like a spring could fail in the middle-future even though the lining is good.

Are you doing the throwout bearing or RMS when in there?

That could last a long time. Possibly longer than an aftermarket one. How does the pressure plate look? Any hotspots?
This. I wouldn’t replace if for an aftermarket clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. Go Audi all the way. Also, if there are hot spots in the flywheel sometimes it’s best to replace it also. I know that’s expensive but there aren’t many shops anymore that can machine a flywheel true and/or with the proper finish. An incorrectly machined flywheel will ruin the clutch job even if you do use Audi parts. In my opinion…

That friction disc looks practically new. What did the car drive like. Surely you drove it and assessed what the clutch was like before pulling the gearbox? As for the buy Audi only, it’s either a sachs set up or LUK so match it with either of these rather than the dealer if you do want to replace.

Im also rather interested in what diesel A3 this is as I’ve never seen one with timing components behind the gearbox?!

Besides, it's worse for the environment to throw away good usable materials.

Stepping down from my soap box now.
Agreed… tell that to Fram’s help line though that says you must change your shiny Fram Ultra at the factory recommended mileage, but also every time you change your oil… so a 6k oil change on a Subaru means it takes you 4 filters to do what one Fram Ultra claims to do if you’re following the letter of the instruction!

That friction disc looks practically new. What did the car drive like. Surely you drove it and assessed what the clutch was like before pulling the gearbox? As for the buy Audi only, it’s either a sachs set up or LUK so match it with either of these rather than the dealer if you do want to replace.

Im also rather interested in what diesel A3 this is as I’ve never seen one with timing components behind the gearbox?!
Senior moment! It's a BMW 3 series not an Audi A3! I've been on autotrader looking at Audi A3's all evening so muscle memory kicked in! Clutch felt fine when driving.

There's a chance that something unrelated like a spring could fail in the middle-future even though the lining is good.

Are you doing the throwout bearing or RMS when in there?
RMS was in the timing chain kit I'm chaining so I'll be fitting a new on of those. Throwout bearing again looks and feels fine.

I would replace the DMF and install a new clutch kit.

Agree, replace. Never miss to replace the DMF. It's too often the weaker link.

This. I wouldn’t replace if for an aftermarket clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. Go Audi all the way. Also, if there are hot spots in the flywheel sometimes it’s best to replace it also. I know that’s expensive but there aren’t many shops anymore that can machine a flywheel true and/or with the proper finish. An incorrectly machined flywheel will ruin the clutch job even if you do use Audi parts. In my opinion…

Likely it's DMF. Machining them is no option.

Would you put this back in or get a new one?
Depends how hard it is to get the tranny out and how reliable I want the vehicle to be.

A worn disc will slip but should give the person time before stranding them. Most of my failed discs over the years have been from a spring on the disc breaking. And then if you can't limp the vehicle home without using the clutch, you're going to need a tow and be really annoyed. Looks like this disc doesn't have typical springs.

These parts already have 70k miles on them. So if you put new parts on it's not like you're throwing new clutch parts away.

Back