Removing oil filter without changing oil.

Is it possible to remove your oil filter and replace it without draining your oil? I want to do this because I might have a clogged or damaged filter. Will a lot of oil come out when you remove it considering the oil is still in my car which in my case would be about 5 quarts? I have a 93 ford taurus 3.8L V6 GL 4dr. sedan.

Only a little will pour out the filter fitting....more if your filter doesn't mount vertically. Just top off your oil when you screw on the new filter.

Removing the oil filter should only remove the oil that's in the filter and the little bit primed in the passages about the oil, so you may need to put back in like a half quart to a quart depending on the size of the filter used.

Probably wouldn't hurt just to go ahead and prime the oil filter with more motor oil so that you're not dry starting it. Average filters take about 150 ml to 250 ml

Yes, you can remove it. Place your drain pan underneath the filter. The oil trapped in the galleries by the ADBV (anti drain back valve) will leak out, just a number of ounces. Let it drain while you get the new filter ready. Top up as required.

Had a leaking Motorcraft filter on my 3.5 Ford Edge a few months back. Too early for an oil change so I swapped a new MC filter. Had to replace ~.5 quart. Lets me extend the OCI maybe 1K miles.

Is it possible to remove your oil filter and replace it without draining your oil? I want to do this because I might have a clogged or damaged filter. Will a lot of oil come out when you remove it considering the oil is still in my car which in my case would be about 5 quarts? I have a 93 ford taurus 3.8L V6 GL 4dr. sedan.
Probably will need .5-1 quart extra top off.

A clogged filter will cause a restriction and raise oil pressure.
And it will bypass, if it doesn't bypass, it will explode. If you have low oil pressure (and you've already confirmed the sensor isn't faulty) either your engine is clogged with sludge or your bearings are heavily worn.

One of the larger trucking companies used the lost oil method whereby a metered amount of engine oil was pumped over to a fuel tank to be burned by the diesel engine. The filters would be changed at 10,000 miles and crankcase topped off. It was up to the operator to check and oil as needed. Didn`t think to ask the driver who related this all to me how much oil and how many miles.

Probably wouldn't hurt just to go ahead and prime the oil filter with more motor oil so that you're not dry starting it. Average filters take about 150 ml to 250 ml
There's an argument to be made for not priming the filter. Just noting that there's another way since [SIZE=4]russharv63[/SIZE] appears to be somewhat unfamiliar with the process.

Back to our program:
Yes. Just change the filter. Start the car, check for leaks. Shut it off and top up the cup or so lost if needed.
The sump won't drain if you remove the filter. The pump won't lose prime. Nothing to worry about.

Back