Remove Trailer Weight When Parked??

My student employee parked our workplace F250 pickup truck with attached commercial wood chipper and jacked up the chipper to take weight off the truck springs. His dad taught him to do this (almost) every time it was parked to save the springs. EDIT: I.E., you park the rig for a few hours to go sight seeing.

This is the first time I saw somebody do this. What's your opinion? I could see doing it if it is sitting over night, but every time? Do you think this would actually reduce spring sag over the years?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't know about over the decades, a constant weight over the years cause deformation, but I was under the impression that springs wear from compression and decompression. Far more from usage than just sitting loaded.

Tires I think wear more--flat spot--or to say, degrade faster than springs, in the static case. Just my guess.

That is a good son that was actually taught something and went with it without question. I like that kind. My ex-father-in-law was a swiss machinist. He worked at Elgin watch for years and then build the fist IC die bonders for Motorola IC's. He taught many engineers how to make a good spring. Anything he made was superior quality. Miss him.

That is a good son that was actually taught something and went with it without question.
I dunno, I'd be upset if my kids didn't question what I told them. It's one thing when they are little and can't understand why, but eventually, I had better have reasons for why--or it should serve as a springboard for them to go off and find out why. Perhaps the old man needs correction, perhaps the young'un will get a leg up on him.

I often tell my kids crap statements just to see if they are paying attention. I'm hoping that later in life they will know when they are getting snowed, and when they need to go fact check something first.

total waste of time...as long as you are in the elastic deformation zone of the spring steel, it is totally fine. There is no additional fatigue cycles, as the vehicle is stationary. Your friend is just wasting his time.

Yeah it's not worth the bother if it's just going to be a few hours. Longer term it's probably a good idea.
The circumstances are also worth considering... if it's in a sketchy area, lifting the tongue is one less step for a trailer thief.

Back