Remington Tac 14 870 with 14 inch barrel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I just can't see why you can't make one " Legally".

The legal danger in attempting to build one of these things yourself, is the fact they're being built and sold due to a technicality, and or new found existing loophole, in an already nonsensical gun law. These things are considered a "firearm", and not a "shotgun". So what? Now all of a sudden my 18" plus barreled shotguns are no longer considered to be "firearms"? If so, why can they be both, and this contraption can't be? Even if they fire the exact same ammunition.

When you take all of the common sense out of a law, and start basing it on ridiculous technicalities and loopholes, it doesn't legally translate well, if at all. You could wind up in court, spending tens of thousands of dollars, trying to defend yourself against something that makes little, if any legal sense.

If I were wanting one, I would simply purchase one NEW from either Mossberg or Remington like Bubba did. That way you know what you are purchasing is legal. Even if the law that makes it legal is completely idiotic and asinine.... Which it is. But that doesn't mean the Federal government isn't going to prosecute you, if they think for a New York second that you are violating it..... And even if you are right and they're wrong. You'll most likely go broke trying to prove it. This whole cluster F gives new meaning to the phrase, "The law works in mysterious ways".

Originally Posted By: AVB
I don't know if you can buy a virgin receiver to build one out of. That is the problem. Take building a AR pistol for example. You can not legally build a pistol from a receiver that had a stock attached to it first. My understanding is that you can convert a pistol to a rifle and back again legally as long as the receiver was first configured as a pistol.

Per the ATF, once a stock is placed on it, it magically becomes a long gun forever, and you can not remove the stock and return it to pistol configuration. So no going back and forth.

According to this https://www.atf.gov/file/55526/download , I think that I was correct. It is from 2011 so I don't know if anything has changed since then. You just can't create a sbr or a "weapon made from a rifle".

It doesn't have anything to do with shot guns, sbs, pgo, or other firearms though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back