Remington R1 1911 or Springfield 1911-A1 MIL-SPEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
I have both series 70 and series 80 1911's. I'm really not seeing the big deal between the 2.

Beginning to think you have one of each Bill....
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: billt460
I have both series 70 and series 80 1911's. I'm really not seeing the big deal between the 2.

I am not a 1911 man but I was once an FFL dealer. Shot many of them and the difference is really minuscule in trigger smoothness. I feel it is more about the quality of the build than the firing system. A well executed series 80 will be better than a mediocre 70.

Personally I would want a series 80 for a carry gun. Not like firing pin safeties are that new, being around since before ww2.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Personally I would want a series 80 for a carry gun. Not like firing pin safeties are that new, being around since before ww2.

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I'd avoid a freedom group 1911 (Remington) at all cost. I would actually prefer a Rock Island, Arsmocor, or other made in Philippines 1911 to a Remington.

The Springfield is always a good choice.

There you go again- putting a product down and not giving any supporting reasoning.

The freedom group has had a culture of cost cutting with their brands that has had some effect on the quality of some products. Remington has been hit with many of them.

Model 887
Model 700
Model 7
Model 710
R51 pistol
Various Ammunition recalls

Marlin, also under Freedom Group saw their QC plummet for a time with problems such as receiver to barrel mating issues, canted sights, rough actions that sometimes won't cycle, and poor wood fit and finish.

Bushmaster also had to recall all the ACR rifles at one point.

Can freedom arms come out with a good gun? Yep. Do they sometimes rush things out the door to make money? Yes.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
The freedom group has had a culture of cost cutting with their brands that has had some effect on the quality of some products. Remington has been hit with many of them.

Model 887
Model 700
Model 7
Model 710
R51 pistol
Various Ammunition recalls

Marlin, also under Freedom Group saw their QC plummet for a time with problems such as receiver to barrel mating issues, canted sights, rough actions that sometimes won't cycle, and poor wood fit and finish.

Bushmaster also had to recall all the ACR rifles at one point.

Can freedom arms come out with a good gun? Yep. Do they sometimes rush things out the door to make money? Yes.

Now see, that I can accept. Thank you.

Go for the Gusto look into Dan Wesson 1911. Wilson Combat quality at a Kimber price. Parts aren't parts.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Go for the Gusto look into Dan Wesson 1911. Wilson Combat quality at a Kimber price. Parts aren't parts.

Springfield makes a better 1911 than Remington
better trigger,shoter and lighter
forged frame vs cast
70 series trigger vs 80 series cluster fk

BUT A DW smokes em all
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Excel
forged frame vs cast.....

Everyone like to trash talk cast frames. Rock Island Armory guns are all cast, and everyone raves about them. Including myself. I have a box stock Rock Island G.I. Model in 9 MM, and it runs like a scalded dog. And it was only $327.00 out the door. It's one of my favorite, most dependable 1911's. And this gun has seen thousands of rounds of all types of ammunition.

You can make the argument that "forged is better". But let's be honest, is it really necessary? Can anyone point to a direct example of a cast 1911 frame breaking? I've never heard of one, let alone ever actually seen one.

Originally Posted By: Al
There have been discussions on this subject in the past on1911.com. The folks that are really into 1911's will tell you forged is not superior.

I completely agree. Forged is a moot point. One only needs to look at Ruger. They investment cast their receivers for both their Model 77 bolt action rifle, as well as the receiver for their #1 falling block, single shot rifle. Both actions are considered to be 2 of the strongest in the industry.

Companies don't cast parts because they're better than forged. They cast parts because they're cheaper to produce and good enough.

I don't plan on carrying as a carry gun, I use my Glock 19 for that. But I will carry it in a OWB holster when I go out on the property my family owns a few times a year. Other than that I just want one that is a basic 1911 that works and looks decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back