Remington R1 1911 or Springfield 1911-A1 MIL-SPEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to pick up a basic design 1911 for a reasonable price. I'm wanting to stay close to the original design 1911-A1 version. It's come down to these two.

Remington R1 1911 for $699 or

Springfield 1911-A1 MIL-SPEC on sale for $579

Seems the only cosmetic difference is the Remington has a slightly more shiny finish and a stainless trigger which looks a bit more fancy.

I've owned a few 1911's over the years but they are not really my area of expertise on what to look for.

Which would you choose and why?

Thanks!

Get both! I've shot both, the Rem has a very smooth trigger and is a classic. The SA is solid and that seems like a really good price!

I own and shoot both. Both guns are excellent, well made examples of G.I. Mil-Spec style 1911 pistols. Both can be had in Stainless steel, (which I chose). Or else the Springfield can be had in Parkerized, and the Remington in blued.

Both of them ran perfectly right from the box, with no "tweaking" required. Both have the lowered ejection ports, and neither one damaged brass on ejection, the way some G.I. 1911's can. Both have the short trigger, not the long trigger that is common on Colt Government Models. The Remington has the straight mainspring housing, while the Springfield Mil-Spec has the arched housing. So it becomes a matter of personal preference.

I'm very adaptable to weapons, so it really doesn't matter to me. The trigger on both of my guns are very good. Very little creep, and a fairly crisp let off. Over travel on both guns is about the same, and isn't excessive. Of the 2, the Remington has the slightly lighter pull. Both guns feed open cavity self defense ammunition well. No problem with any of the different brands. It was a hard choice, which is why I bought both.

Both of these guns are excellent buys, and I really don't think you can go wrong with either.

If you're not a guy who changes things on pistols the different mainspring housings will give them a different feel and natural point of aim in your hand. The Springfield has a locking feature (http://www.springfield-armory.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/1911Manual_5.pdf ) that many oppose. The Remington is 100% USA made, the Springfield frame is forged in Brazil, not sure about assembly.

I've owned a Mil Spec for a while with a few changes, could easily own the Remington instead. See both on Gunbroker under $600.

1911forum.com would be a good place to ask your questions.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

1911forum.com would be a good place to ask your questions.

..for sure

Originally Posted By: BlueSmoke16
Springfield Armory.
More experience. Proven record.
Regards,
Scott

That's what I would have said.
I no longer have any interest in 1911's, but in my many years of 1911's this is what I would get if I wanted 1911 M-1 version.
I don't know if either or both are 70 or 80 series. You might want to check on that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
I'm looking to pick up a basic design 1911 for a reasonable price. I'm wanting to stay close to the original design 1911-A1 version. It's come down to these two.

Remington R1 1911 for $699 or

Springfield 1911-A1 MIL-SPEC on sale for $579

Seems the only cosmetic difference is the Remington has a slightly more shiny finish and a stainless trigger which looks a bit more fancy.

I've owned a few 1911's over the years but they are not really my area of expertise on what to look for.

Which would you choose and why?

Thanks!

I have both and the Remington does feel and shoot much "cleaner" than my Springfield. Just feels more like what I am used to with my old Colt 1911.
By the way Grab-A-Gun has the R1's for $470'ish new in the box after rebate.
https://www.slickguns.com/product/remington-1911-r1-45acp-5-walnut-grips-erpc-610-0

Originally Posted By: BlueSmoke16
Springfield Armory.

More experience. Proven record.

Regards,

Scott

And made in Brazil too.

Fwiw, for several years now the word has been that there is no longer a Springfield / imbel connection. Industry reps and folks who have posed the question at SHOT SHOW have been advised there is no longer a southamerican connection at all.

In don't know that anyone has successfully gotten to the bottom of it, particularly where the forgings come from.

I would still pick the springer of those two, but I'd extend my budget some and do a colt or Dan Wesson .

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Curious if you looked at the Ruger 1911?

I own and shoot one of those as well. Very nice gun. All of these 1911's are in the same price range, so it becomes a matter of personal taste and preference more than anything else. I think Ruger did a nice job with the black contrasting parts on a Stainless Steel gun. And I like the fact the front sight is dovetailed into the slide. Another one to consider is the new CZ 1911. They fall into the same price range.

CZUSA website says 1911 discontinued. That didn't last long. Maybe that's why they're pushing $800 asking price on Gunbroker.

The Ruger varies further from GI spec than the others considered but still a nice pistol

Yeah, I glanced at it at J&G last Saturday but didn't ask to hold it. When they're gone they're gone, should be cheaper, nothing special. And I really like CZs.

Anyhow it's hard to get a bad 1911 these days.

I'd avoid a freedom group 1911 (Remington) at all cost. I would actually prefer a Rock Island, Arsmocor, or other made in Philippines 1911 to a Remington.

The Springfield is always a good choice.

FWIW the Remington is a series 80, the S/A is series 70. Look it up. More parts in a series 80.

Couple of bucks and maybe 10 minutes I converted my R1 to a Series 70.

Originally Posted By: TheOnlySarge
FWIW the Remington is a series 80, the S/A is series 70. Look it up. More parts in a series 80.

Couple of bucks and maybe 10 minutes I converted my R1 to a Series 70.

Took me a [censored] of a lot longer to manipulate the single piece in there than the 2 pieces (of the 80 series). When it was done there was zero difference in trigger pressure.

I actually think the 80 series firing pin block is a jgood idea for concealed carry..just an opinion.

I would not carry an 1911 anyways and ultimately I sold the one I converted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back