Remington Firearms

Yeah, I knew the UK gun laws were more strict than ours, but I was surprised to see you could use suppressors.

Yes, the CDX-33 is a Cadex Defence in .338LM. It's built on a custom 700 action, has a Bartlein barrel, takes AI mags...etc.
View attachment 31462
That's from last winter, it now has a Magpul bipod to replace that pile of crap that's on it there, lol.

Hi
I am suffering some serious rifle envy here lol.

That is really nice piece of kit you have there. I am thinking the action is an extremely high quality clone of the 700. Same as my Borden Timberline on my 25-06.

The .338 is well suited to Canada. Plenty of room to shoot it. lol.

There are plenty of aftermarket & custom shops that will work on any Remington firearm. No matter the ‘new’ owner, the trend is to make guns cheaper & more ‘affordable’. If you want that quality Remington gun, look for a well cared for, older gun.

Sadly, Remington missed out on the handgun & ‘tactical’ craze of the last 15+ years. The market for deer rifles & upland game or waterfowl shotguns is stagnant, with plenty of used guns available. What the market wanted was compact 9mm handguns & tacticool long guns.

The Remington name today is just a marketing tool, same as the ‘Herters’ ammo you see advertised. The only constant is change, cherish those older guns.

Hi
You make some good points.

The older 700s are indeed quality. I was only recently admiring an old, model 700 bdl varmint.Nice wood and bluing.

There are plenty of aftermarket & custom shops that will work on any Remington firearm. No matter the ‘new’ owner, the trend is to make guns cheaper & more ‘affordable’. If you want that quality Remington gun, look for a well cared for, older gun.

Sadly, Remington missed out on the handgun & ‘tactical’ craze of the last 15+ years. The market for deer rifles & upland game or waterfowl shotguns is stagnant, with plenty of used guns available. What the market wanted was compact 9mm handguns & tacticool long guns.

The Remington name today is just a marketing tool, same as the ‘Herters’ ammo you see advertised. The only constant is change, cherish those older guns.

Herters = Lake City.

And my Remington 870 ( Remy ) rocks.
Armidillo beware.

Hi
Two classic rifles you got there. The 1903 is a beauty. When they come up for sale here they fetch silly money.

Is that a Unertl scope on it?

Leupold MK4 on the Remington?
Weaver M8 scope on the 1903A4 but it would have originally come with the M73B1. Functionally the M8 is the same except the adjustment knob size. This rifle was sold as a "scopeless" sniper through the DCM back in the early 1960's. It really deserves to have a proper scope installed but nice examples of the M73B1 are getting hard to find and expensive ($1000-$1500 US). The scopes are crap, too.
IMG_9405.JPG

The scope on the M24 is the predecessor to the Mark 4, called the Vari-X III 3.5-10x 40mm Tactical. M24 rifles were officially issued with the L&S Ultra M3 scopes which were a fixed 10x. In the mid-2000's, however, I guess Leupold started supplying these and the Mk4 scopes for rebuild programs and for increased production after 9/11/2001 attack. I recently contacted Leupold about this particular scope and they confirmed that it was actually used in service. It has the turrets for the M118 LR sniper ammo and still has the killflash device, too.
IMG_1060.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

Weaver M8 scope on the 1903A4 but it would have originally come with the M73B1. Functionally the M8 is the same except the adjustment knob size. This rifle was sold as a "scopeless" sniper through the DCM back in the early 1960's. It really deserves to have a proper scope installed but nice examples of the M73B1 are getting hard to find and expensive ($1000-$1500 US). The scopes are crap, too.
View attachment 31572

The scope on the M24 is the predecessor to the Mark 4, called the Vari-X III 3.5-10x 40mm Tactical. M24 rifles were officially issued with the L&S Ultra M3 scopes which were a fixed 10x. In the mid-2000's, however, I guess Leupold started supplying these and the Mk4 scopes for rebuild programs and for increased production after 9/11/2001 attack. I recently contacted Leupold about this particular scope and they confirmed that it was actually used in service. It has the turrets for the M118 LR sniper ammo and still has the killflash device, too.
View attachment 31575

View attachment 31576

Hi.
Thanks for that. Appreciate it.

Were the Weaver scopes purely European theatre and the unertl pacific or is that an over simplification? I did wonder if the 'saving private ryan' film got the scope correct.

Herters = Lake City.

And my Remington 870 ( Remy ) rocks.
Armidillo beware.

Hi.
Why you shooting Armadillo? Are they a pest or good eating?

Not knocking you for doing it. I am a hunter myself. Just curious. Being a Limey we do not see many Armadillo lol.

Hi.
Thanks for that. Appreciate it.

Were the Weaver scopes purely European theatre and the unertl pacific or is that an over simplification? I did wonder if the 'saving private ryan' film got the scope correct.
I think the USMC were the only ones to use the Unertl 8x scopes on the model 1903A1. As far as I know, most M1903A4 rifles used the Weaver 330 (which is called the M73B1 for military issue). Later, I think some M82 and M84 scopes made their way onto the 1903A4 but most used the M73B1.

I wish I had one of the USMC 1903A1 snipers but they are exceptionally rare. One of my collector friends has one and it's pretty neat. He's a Marine and has quite a few rare USMC rifles but that 1903A1 sniper is probably the best one in his collection. I think he paid around $8500 for it 5 years ago and was thrilled to get it for that price. It's the only one I've ever seen in person, and will probably be the only I ever see in person in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Love that M24!
Me too! I just got it a couple months ago. They are not easy to find anymore. Remington received a bunch of the M24 sniper rifles back from service, built new rifles using the issued stocks, scopes, bipod, etc., then sold them as "Collectors Editions.". Many of them had the rattle can camo that the individual snipers applied during "arts and crafts time." Remington offered them to active duty service members and law enforcement first, then some hit the civilian market several years ago. I ended buying mine from a US Special Forces sniper of 19 years out of El Paso TX. He had some interesting stories to tell! The rifle shoots great but the M118LR ammo is a bit tough to find. I'm working on replicating it with some reloads.

Back