Remington Firearms

Hi
Anyone have any knowledge as to what will happen to Remington Firearms? The other parts of the business have been sold off to the likes of Ruger and Sierra but what will become of Remington?
I am hoping the new owner will restore the 700 to the quality it once was.

It will be bought out by a private firm like it has been in the past. They will probably try to cut quality to boost short term profits like in the past and eventually go bankrupt again. Then rinse and repeat.

Hi Lads
It has been bought by Round Hill Capital. Amongst many things they own a lot of Student accommodation here in the UK. A Firearms manufacturer would seem an odd addition to a layman like me.

They are uttering encouraging phrases like.

“We’re not going to see how big we can be,” Edwards said. “But we are going to see how good we can be. We’re going to be making some of the world’s best hunting products as it relates to firearms. We just want to be the best of what we do.'

I hope they can turn things around. I really like the 700 and have owned some really great ones. A Senderro and a VS being two notable examples.

First suggestion is drop the crappy plastic stocks.

Hi Lads
It has been bought by Round Hill Capital. Amongst many things they own a lot of Student accommodation here in the UK. A Firearms manufacturer would seem an odd addition to a layman like me.

They are uttering encouraging phrases like.

“We’re not going to see how big we can be,” Edwards said. “But we are going to see how good we can be. We’re going to be making some of the world’s best hunting products as it relates to firearms. We just want to be the best of what we do.'

I hope they can turn things around. I really like the 700 and have owned some really great ones. A Senderro and a VS being two notable examples.

First suggestion is drop the crappy plastic stocks.

The 700 is a great platform, I agree. I'm very happy with mine, and QC seems to be very good on it, despite it being from the recent years.
IMG_0462.jpg

My CDX-33 is also based on a 700 action, though of course completely custom.

Hi Overkill
Nice rifle. Is that a HS Precision stock? My VS and senderro had the HS stock and were tack drivers. A 308 and a 25-06.
The SPS rifles have one of the worst stocks i have seen.

Yeah; hated to see what happened to them as well. All of my custom Pete Pieper rifles are based upon a Remington 700 (17. Remington, 22PPC, 6MM BR) with Hart barrels, Jewell triggers, and full floating and bedded HS Precision stocks. Tack drivers and have been great rifles. The cheap stocks, poor machining on some of the barrels, and the trigger issues have not helped the brand at all.

@Tikka - Overkill's rifle above has an HS Precision stock on it too.

Hi Overkill
Nice rifle. Is that a HS Precision stock? My VS and senderro had the HS stock and were tack drivers. A 308 and a 25-06.
The SPS rifles have one of the worst stocks i have seen.

Yes, it's the HS Precision stock, rifle is a 700 5R Milspec, had to order it.

Hi
This is all that is left of the 308. I took the action and re-barreled in .22br and sat it in a custom stock. It is my varmint gun. As you can see i am a leftie.

056.JPG

Hi
This is all that is left of the 308. I took the action and re-barreled in .22br and sat it in a custom stock. It is my varmint gun. As you can see i am a leftie.

View attachment 31383

I'm actually a leftie as well! I tend to buy right-handed guns though because that's what I grew accustomed to shooting, as nobody I knew had any leftie rifles. Even when I ordered my CDX-33, which I could have done so in left, I just got it in right because I'm so used to cycling the bolt with that hand.

So jealous of the fact you get to use suppressors! They are illegal here in the GWN :(

Hi

View attachment 31383
Nice rifle! I waffled quite a bit when I decided to dump the .220 Swift platform in choosing a 22 BR versus a 6MM BR. Because I already had a .223 and a .22-250, I opted for the 6MM BR to have a 6MM, but also at the time, no one made production 22BR brass. Remington was into its "seasonal" runs, but had skipped the 22 BR for a few years and Lapua made 6MM BR, so I scooped up at 3K of it. I could have reformed it, but that can be a very tedious process.

It is incredibly accurate and the only complaint that I have is that it has just enough recoil to knock you off the target (at 500+ yards) so that you cannot see the 58gr V-Max hit the prairie dog. I rectified that by building a new 22 PPC, though I have not been able to work up a load or even shoot it yet. Norma had a huge sale on 22 PPC brass a while back and I grabbed 2.5K (glad I did since it is now more than double in price).

I'm actually a leftie as well! I tend to buy right-handed guns though because that's what I grew accustomed to shooting, as nobody I knew had any leftie rifles. Even when I ordered my CDX-33, which I could have done so in left, I just got it in right because I'm so used to cycling the bolt with that hand.

So jealous of the fact you get to use suppressors! They are illegal here in the GWN :(

Hi
I have always owned left hand rifles except for my 10/22. The Senderro was actually a bit of a 'frankenstein' gun. A left hand action from a BDL .270 with a 25-06 senderro barrel that a gunsmith had. Shot 100 grain sierra into little bug holes and took a few deer with it.

As for suppressors. We have some real stupid gun laws over here but suppressors are not an issue. I have them on all my rifles.

Incidentally the other rifle in the pic is a rem based custom .17 fireball belonging to my shooting friend.

Is the CDX33 a Cadex defence? What calibre?

Nice rifle! I waffled quite a bit when I decided to dump the .220 Swift platform in choosing a 22 BR versus a 6MM BR. Because I already had a .223 and a .22-250, I opted for the 6MM BR to have a 6MM, but also at the time, no one made production 22BR brass. Remington was into its "seasonal" runs, but had skipped the 22 BR for a few years and Lapua made 6MM BR, so I scooped up at 3K of it. I could have reformed it, but that can be a very tedious process.

It is incredibly accurate and the only complaint that I have is that it has just enough recoil to knock you off the target (at 500+ yards) so that you cannot see the 58gr V-Max hit the prairie dog. I rectified that by building a new 22 PPC, though I have not been able to work up a load or even shoot it yet. Norma had a huge sale on 22 PPC brass a while back and I grabbed 2.5K (glad I did since it is now more than double in price).

Hi
Yes i formed my .22Br cases from lapua 6br. I quite enjoyed making the cases and turning the necks. I shoot the 60 grain Berger. I would love to set up on a Prairie dog town with it.

The .22ppc is a super little cartridge. Friend of mine has a Cooper chambered in it.

Hi
Not only are you a man who owns fine rifles but you also have a Jeep SRT. Respect! :)
Hi
I have always owned left hand rifles except for my 10/22. The Senderro was actually a bit of a 'frankenstein' gun. A left hand action from a BDL .270 with a 25-06 senderro barrel that a gunsmith had. Shot 100 grain sierra into little bug holes and took a few deer with it.

As for suppressors. We have some real stupid gun laws over here but suppressors are not an issue. I have them on all my rifles.

Incidentally the other rifle in the pic is a rem based custom .17 fireball belonging to my shooting friend.

Is the CDX33 a Cadex defence? What calibre?

Yeah, I knew the UK gun laws were more strict than ours, but I was surprised to see you could use suppressors.

Yes, the CDX-33 is a Cadex Defence in .338LM. It's built on a custom 700 action, has a Bartlein barrel, takes AI mags...etc.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_db5.jpg

That's from last winter, it now has a Magpul bipod to replace that pile of crap that's on it there, lol.

There are plenty of aftermarket & custom shops that will work on any Remington firearm. No matter the ‘new’ owner, the trend is to make guns cheaper & more ‘affordable’. If you want that quality Remington gun, look for a well cared for, older gun.

Sadly, Remington missed out on the handgun & ‘tactical’ craze of the last 15+ years. The market for deer rifles & upland game or waterfowl shotguns is stagnant, with plenty of used guns available. What the market wanted was compact 9mm handguns & tacticool long guns.

The Remington name today is just a marketing tool, same as the ‘Herters’ ammo you see advertised. The only constant is change, cherish those older guns.

Back