Remington 550-1

Just a thread starter. For no other reason than to talk.

So my dad tells me he traded his Cooey bolt action repeater off for thjs rifle. He figures it was 1955 and he was 12. This was in a little general store in Quinton, Sask. I know it was the very late '90's and the store was still open to some degree.

Anyways, the date stamp gives me November 1954 for a build date. Talking with my older brothers, they think it was having some light jamming issues back in the late '80s on. I started shooting it in 2000 just after graduating high school. We would have some stove pipes about once per mag. It was also missing the ejector shield. I took it into Regina for a gunsmith to look at. Turns out the extractor claw and spring were MIA. After that she was farting through silk.

I eventually did a complete receiver tear down, yes it was complicated but once in a while I ain't dumb... lots of carbon came out but she still shot fine. I did not know about the floating chamber but I know it was loose and it did cycle all sorts or random LR and short, CB caps.

I think it was 2004 when I sanded what ever finish was on the stock. A very nice chunk of wood!! She got any dents raised and numerous coats of BLO. I will be doing a clean and oil sometime this year.

This has been my go to rifle since 2000. I prefer it to my Savage 93R17 except for longer range. I just had it out yesterday and knocked down 17 gophers. A couple shots were out to 100m. I had taken the irons off a few years ago as I had a spare scope kicking around. Today I removed the mag tube and floating chamber. A neat design for sure! I will have her out later this week for some more. Anyways, not sure why my picture is flipped..

Attachments

• 20210427_135819.jpg
    20210427_135819.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 51
Old Remington's should be checked to see if they are one of the dangerous trigger designed models. And if so updated ASAP. They had gone off for no reason, or with the slightest touch, or when the bolt was closed.

Hey Brian. I had one too, also in Saskatchewan. The tube mag was cool. I bought a 7x35 scope for it from SIR ( Sydney I Robinson) in Winnipeg. I wish SIR had survived until the Internet days. They we’re sort of the Eaton’s of Outdoors equipment. The gun is at my brother in law’s place in Rockglen.

Snag

Last edited:
Old Remington's should be checked to see if they are one of the dangerous trigger designed models. And if so updated ASAP. They had gone off for no reason, or with the slightest touch, or when the bolt was closed.
I thought that was just the early 700 models.

You are correct. I had 2 different model 700's from the 70's-80's go off on me when I pushed off the safety. IMO they all should be swapped out with Timney's that have a different safety design.

Nothing wrong with the trigger on this .22. Which is a neat rifle OP.

Yes I remember SIR! I had a catalog or two from time to time!

Ya the trigger works great..... heavy but great...

I have some decent ammo hiding somewhere and I might take it out on a good day and see how she groups. She has a good spread with that mixed bulk garbage. It still does the job but...

The Tasco on it was purchased in Prince Albert, when I lived up that way. It was originally for my 93R17 but it wasn't on their long. The extractor work was done by TnT in Regina.

Last edited:
Just a thread starter. For no other reason than to talk.

So my dad tells me he traded his Cooey bolt action repeater off for thjs rifle. He figures it was 1955 and he was 12. This was in a little general store in Quinton, Sask. I know it was the very late '90's and the store was still open to some degree.

Anyways, the date stamp gives me November 1954 for a build date. Talking with my older brothers, they think it was having some light jamming issues back in the late '80s on. I started shooting it in 2000 just after graduating high school. We would have some stove pipes about once per mag. It was also missing the ejector shield. I took it into Regina for a gunsmith to look at. Turns out the extractor claw and spring were MIA. After that she was farting through silk.

I eventually did a complete receiver tear down, yes it was complicated but once in a while I ain't dumb... lots of carbon came out but she still shot fine. I did not know about the floating chamber but I know it was loose and it did cycle all sorts or random LR and short, CB caps.

I think it was 2004 when I sanded what ever finish was on the stock. A very nice chunk of wood!! She got any dents raised and numerous coats of BLO. I will be doing a clean and oil sometime this year.

This has been my go to rifle since 2000. I prefer it to my Savage 93R17 except for longer range. I just had it out yesterday and knocked down 17 gophers. A couple shots were out to 100m. I had taken the irons off a few years ago as I had a spare scope kicking around. Today I removed the mag tube and floating chamber. A neat design for sure! I will have her out later this week for some more. Anyways, not sure why my picture is flipped..
Bought a very good cond. 550-1 from a local gun shop 40 or so years ago. Very reliable, sights well regulated and would function with 22 LR, 22 L, and 22 S mixed in the tube mag.
What did I do? Traded it a year or two later sadly. A little wiser now due to age.

Actually, there were also newer models of the Remington 700 too, as well as some other Remington models. I actually have an older Remington 700, and didn't even know there was a recall and free trigger replacement from Remington until I just went searching about it right now. It's been closed now for awhile.

Last edited:
Back