Remind me not to buy a late model Subaru.

I few years ago road tripped in a 13 Crosstrek. SOOOO underpowered. The mountain passes made it scream to keep the speed up and I floored it and set the cruise into a strong SE wind in Montana and floored it was screaming to get 90.

Now, the Forester does a ton better, I think. That extra 0.5L and 30-40HP makes a difference. But high speeds and wind and mountains make any 4 cylinder struggle, regardless of brand.
What rpm is screaming?

On almost all newer cars (not just Subarus) the speedometer is 2mph too quick. So their speedo shows 85mph, but their true (GPS) speed is 83mph. Some of my cars had that issue, but I fix that by going one size up in tire size.
I wonder how much faster these “optimistic” spedo’s get the cars out of warranty? Remember Honda got into trouble a while back for this? People who lease beware.

What rpm is screaming?
At 70 and flat, runs about 2k, a little under. 85+ and wind 4-5k. I mean, I drove a Civic that did 4200 at 75, so the engines can take it, but fuel mileage and load on the engine has to be pretty substantially increased.

I wonder how much faster these “optimistic” spedo’s get the cars out of warranty? Remember Honda got into trouble a while back for this? People who lease beware.
At 60mph true speed the speedometer reads 62mph. That's roughly 3%.
Assuming the warranty expires at 100k miles - the car will reach the ACTUAL end of warranty at 103k by the odometer.

In regards to the OPs situation, I think this had more to do with the driver than the vehicle itself.

I know the three I owned, 2012 Legacy, 2014 Crosstrek and 2016 Forester weren't the most powerful vehicles, but they were fine for high speed highway cruising. Even the 5MT crosstrek. RPMs would be annoying sounding at 80+, but it was pretty snappy up there. The other two were CVT. Irrelevant, but I had my fill of Subarus. For me, their AWD was no better or worse than any other make/model. Same with their other features. I do think the chassis/bodies are strong on them though, which makes them pretty safe. Not so much the panels you can see/touch, but everything underneath and behind the scenes.

At 70 and flat, runs about 2k, a little under. 85+ and wind 4-5k. I mean, I drove a Civic that did 4200 at 75, so the engines can take it, but fuel mileage and load on the engine has to be pretty substantially increased.
Well, the load on the engine is the same at 2k or 5k, it is the hill and wind drag that sets the power required to get the job done. That in turn sets the fuel consumed. The engine may wear faster at higher rpm, but it is doing the same work.

At 60mph true speed the speedometer reads 62mph. That's roughly 3%.
Assuming the warranty expires at 100k miles - the car will reach the ACTUAL end of warranty at 103k by the odometer.

The speedo and odo are not tied together on any vehicle made in the last decade or more. I have checked this on many vehicles, my last being a GTI that read four mph fast at freeway speeds but the odometer was actually 0.5% slow compared to GPS.

I have an app on my phone that uses up to 22 GPS satellites to measure speed. It is handy for when I put on slightly different size tires in winter.On the freeway @80mph my VW Golf's are spot on with summer tires. The Dodge minivan indicates 1 mph high. The Tiguan 2 mph high. My BIL's new Chevrolet pickup is the worst at reading 4 mph high at 75 mph it is 70-71mph in actuality. My brothers 2014 1 ton Ford diesel reads 3 mph high and his odometer is also fast. None of the other vehicles have an odometer error like that Ford. Pretty fun for a free app. New tires make a difference.

Well, the load on the engine is the same at 2k or 5k, it is the hill and wind drag that sets the power required to get the job done. That in turn sets the fuel consumed. The engine may wear faster at higher rpm, but it is doing the same work.
The same work to move the vehicle, there's added work to overcome the losses from turning the engine an extra 3k rpm so you're doing more work, burning more fuel, and creating slightly more wear.

Back