Remembering your old TV days

Do you remember these days.....
1607594677178.png

Back in the late 60's my dad would send me to the local store to pick up tubes for the TV. He was a radio man during the Korean war, so he knew how to fix the TV.

The Supermarket had tubes for sale. I remember going w/my father. The first color tv we had was a Zenith. The remote used a chime to send sound to tv to change channel. GREAT shows to watch then.

Our family grew up on a black and white Setchell Carlson television. We were one of the last households on the block to switch to color.

I remember being in a department store downtown and in their television department. Rows and rows of televisions. Mostly color and the college football games on Saturdays looked great. On the floor were those huge console style sets, some with AM-FM and a record player. Those were beautiful to look at.

I grew up with a 27” Sony TV in the family room. The tube was different than most other TVs at the time. Don’t know what they called the tube technology.

I remember those round tube tv's and how heavy those crt's were.. My Dad had a TV repair business and I remember being behind the set, checking tubes while he chatted with the customer on service calls. I also remember how expensive tv's were from the 60's thru the 80's.

Yep,I remember them!! I also remember lots of tv and stereo repair shops (mid 1970s).

Anyone remember the little white dot that would stay glowing in the center for awhile, and how the front of the tube was full of static electricity when you would turn it off?

I grew up with a 27” Sony TV in the family room. The tube was different than most other TVs at the time. Don’t know what they called the tube technology.
Sony called it "Trinitron". Screen was flat from top to bottom and they used a single gun instead of the typical three.

Our family grew up on a black and white Setchell Carlson television. We were one of the last households on the block to switch to color.

I remember being in a department store downtown and in their television department. Rows and rows of televisions. Mostly color and the college football games on Saturdays looked great. On the floor were those huge console style sets, some with AM-FM and a record player. Those were beautiful to look at.
Those were some fun times!! I loved going to those places with my parents.

Trinitron? It used a vertical aperture grille instead of the standard shadow mask.

edit: Lubener beat me to it!

We always had RCA tv's. Then in the mid 80s,my parents bought this huge console Sony stereo tv. My grandparents and great-grandparents always had Magnavox. I also remember my grandparents had this Philips black and white tv that was sitting in the dinning room that didn't work. I remember it looking like a spaceship!! Probably from the 1950s?

We always had RCA tv's. Then in the mid 80s,my parents bought this huge console Sony stereo tv. My grandparents and great-grandparents always had Magnavox. I also remember my grandparents had this Philips black and white tv that was sitting in the dinning room that didn't work. I remember it looking like a spaceship!! Probably from the 1950s?
One thing I remember with Magnavox, they had the nicest wood cabinets of any brand.

The Supermarket had tubes for sale. I remember going w/my father. The first color tv we had was a Zenith. The remote used a chime to send sound to tv to change channel. GREAT shows to watch then.

I can remember either a supermarket or hardware store that had a machine on which you could test your tube(s).

We always had black and whites. Until one day G C Murphy provided us with a thin sheet of plastic you could tape to the screen. It was blue at the top, pink/orange in the middle, and green at the bottom. Presto - color TV! Not kidding.

We were the first ones to get cable in my neighborhood (4 houses). We now went from 3 channels to 11. My friends always wanted to spend the night at my house to watch TV all night. I remember 2 of the 1st cable channels were USA and ESPN.

I think it was 1952 when everyone in my small town got tvs. It was like a production line with everyone getting antennas also

I remember when cable TV first came out. My dads buddy came over to the house and touched two wires together inside the box with alligator clips, then we got all the scrambled channels, but it scrambled all the channels we paid for.

Back