Remember 20w-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
lucky to get 10,000 on a set of tires?

Hey! Some of us still are lucky to get 10,000 miles on a set of tires. (Well, I exaggerate. I'm pretty sure I'll get 15,000. 24 runs on a 90-second autocross course last weekend won't help.)

I only got 11,000 miles out of the tires I ran last summer! (Toyo RA-1s) They stuck like glue though!
smile.gif

I remember this oil labeled as 20 - 20W, not 20W20 as we are calling it now.

Because I wondered then why it wasn't corresponding to the other grades like 10W-30, where the "W" value was given first.

Anyone else ? Or do I remember wrong ?

Could be, but I also remember the viscosity described as SSU.... Saybolt Seconds Universal... not SUS as I see it here and as it has apparently become....

Can someone explain to me what would be different between a straight 30 wt and a 30W-30? What happens to a straight 30wt when it heats up or cools down?

At what temps. are the hot and cold specifications determined? Are they 0 ºF and 212 ºF or 32 ºF and 100 ºF? Sometimes the celsius and fahrenheit scale get jumbled together.

quote:

Originally posted by dkcase:

Could be, but I also remember the viscosity described as SSU.... Saybolt Seconds Universal... not SUS as I see it here and as it has apparently become....

SUS and SSU are the same thing. SSF, Saybolt seconds Furol, is the scale for heavy oil. Both, along with Redwood, Engler (what else?) have been pretty much replaced by centiStoke.

Ken

To this day I still have a can opener in my pickup that I used
cheers.gif
to open the old style oil cans. I too had the problem with the can collapsing when I would try to push in the spout. I don't know why, but whenever I bought a new vehicle I just threw the can opener in the glove compt. When did they change the cans??? I think it was in the early to mid 1980's.

quote:

Originally posted by mph:
Patman: Competition tires on the street? You could save money switching to a heroin habit!

Hehe, they were expensive, up here they were $289 each! Great street tires though, very quiet, awesome in the rain! I even got caught in light snow at the end of their life and didn't have problems. I'll probably get another set again, but not this season. I want to try and beat my best quarter mile time (13.89) on Goodyear GSCs, which are the stock tires for these cars.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Patman: Competition tires on the street? You could save money switching to a heroin habit!

Hehe, they were expensive, up here they were $289 each! Great street tires though, very quiet, awesome in the rain! I even got caught in light snow at the end of their life and didn't have problems. I'll probably get another set again, but not this season. I want to try and beat my best quarter mile time (13.89) on Goodyear GSCs, which are the stock tires for these cars.

GSC - I guess that stands for Get Stuck Completely!
shocked.gif
pat.gif

Must be related to the Goodyear GSA'a (Get Stuck Anywhere) Mall Terrain tires that came stock on my Jeep!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Tree Hugger:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

GSC - I guess that stands for Get Stuck Completely!
shocked.gif
pat.gif

Must be related to the Goodyear GSA'a (Get Stuck Anywhere) Mall Terrain tires that came stock on my Jeep!
grin.gif

Wow, you dug this post up from a long time ago! Since this post I ended up buying Goodyear F1 GS D3 tires for my car, and did beat my ET, I ran a 13.74 with it. I changed the exhaust and got it down to 13.68 now (and I know there is another tenth left in the car with no other changes)

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
Remember, the W stands for winter. This is the weight of the oil when tested at 0 degrees. That's why won't see a 30W, 40W, or 50W.

I'm relatively certain that's wrong. If memory serves me correctly, this designation was created many decades ago for oils that wouldn't evaporate in engine heat as much as oils without that designation. There are no thicker oils designated 'W' because no one would use, say, an SAE-30 oil in the winter.

If someone knows more, I'd love to hear it.

Hi,
the home spot on this Forum covers the viscosity issues including "W" very well indeed. There are many charts around

20w-20 was once a VERY popular grade. It was the medium winter grade for air cooled VWs! For about 40 odd years!

20w-20 is still recommnded in some automotive applications and usually for between 10C and -10C
temperatures

It is a very good product when used in the correct application!

Regards
cheers.gif

i found a bottle of pennzoil 20w20 on one of our city trucks. our garage also has several bottles around. they had some blue writting on the front. it reads on the back about being for natural gas powered vehicles/??
dunno.gif

Way back when I pumped gas at a Shell station in So Cal. The two grades of oil we had on the islands to add to customer cars were 20w-20 and 10w-50. I was taught in high school auto shop never to mix weights (or brands) of oil or your motor would blow up, so every time I added a quart I thought the motor was doomed.

quote:

Originally posted by Jeffrey Behr:

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
Remember, the W stands for winter. This is the weight of the oil when tested at 0 degrees. That's why won't see a 30W, 40W, or 50W.

I'm relatively certain that's wrong.

The connection between the xW rating and 0F was correct 30 years ago, but 0F long since been replaced by a system of ratings at temperatures that vary depending on the value of x.

I remember 20W-20. To me it seemed silly. Is it not just a 20W oil? I am glad it is gone. 5W-30 and 10W-30 make more sense to me.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
I remember 20W-20. To me it seemed silly. Is it not just a 20W oil? I am glad it is gone. 5W-30 and 10W-30 make more sense to me.

20W meant 12,000 to 48,000 SSU at OF. 20 meant 45 to 58 SSU at 210F.

If both weren't specifed, then only one was controlled.

That was back in the good old daze when we used to get our oil by milking a dinosauer.

[ March 18, 2004, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: XS650 ]

As a kid a lot of folks used 20W-20, mostly in HD diesel motors. I dug up an old shop manual and here is the temp / viscosity chart:

Above 80 F: SAE 40
40 F to 80 F: SAE 30
10 F to 40 F: SAE 20W-20
-10 F to +10 F: SAE 10W
Colder than -10 F: SAE 10W mixed 10% kerosene.

Ah, the "good 'ole days."

Jerry

I wonder what people did back then who left oil in the car more than 3 months. Conceivably, like here up north, you can go from mornings with -10° in February to mornings in the 50s or 60s in June. An owner would be forced to change the oil four times a years regardless of mileage.

My step father carpooled in the 60's and 70's with a local mechanic who ran Montgomery Ward 20W-20 oil in his vehicles year round here in Illinois. His cars seemed to last at least as long as everyone elses...

Tree Hugger - "Goodyear GSA'a (Get Stuck Anywhere) Mall Terrain tires"
lol.gif

[ March 19, 2004, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back