Remanufactured or used calipers from BMW E90 335 to E90 328i?

OK guys.
Question for those of you having experience with remanufactured calipers (Trav I am aiming at you):
I am currently retrofitting my 328i with oil cooler from 335i. After that project I am going to install brakes from 335. They are bolt on. Rotor fits perfectly in, as well as calipers. Of course, rotor is much bigger (348mm compared to 312mm I have now). One thing it needs to be done is coding vehicle to performance brake package to adjust EBD, but that is not an issue.

Question I have is about what calipers to go with.
On eBay, used calipers are really cheap. But, I am thinking going remanufactured calipers would be better way. Options are:
Power Stop (uncoated and coated)
Raybestos (coated and uncoated)
Centric (uncoated)-most expensive
Cardone (uncoated and coated)-2nd most expensive

Money is not an issue, but I still posted difference.
Any other input would be greatly appriciated!

Argh, calipers are hit or miss as remans. I have a feeling Cardone does almost all the brake calipers these days, for the exception of Centric and Raybestos. I’ve had Centric calipers rust but still work decently well. The last reman caliper I bought was a Raybestos.

is getting a ATE or TRW rebuild kit and doing a DIY job an option?

OK guys.
Question for those of you having experience with remanufactured calipers (Trav I am aiming at you):
I am currently retrofitting my 328i with oil cooler from 335i. After that project I am going to install brakes from 335. They are bolt on. Rotor fits perfectly in, as well as calipers. Of course, rotor is much bigger (348mm compared to 312mm I have now). One thing it needs to be done is coding vehicle to performance brake package to adjust EBD, but that is not an issue.

On eBay, used calipers are really cheap. But, I am thinking going remanufactured calipers would be better way. Options are:

Does a place like FCP Euro have OE calipers?

Might be lucky and fine OE’s on eBay. Trav found some for my Jeep. Had the white zinc too unlike the remanufactured calipers.

OK guys.

New are expensive and obviously the best option but cripes it would be over 2 grand. If time were not an issue I would rebuild clean used ones. rebush them and fit new pistons and have them plated or M blue powder coated.
From the ones you list they all should be satisfactory except the Cardone which have a very poor rep. The Raybestos are known for a good quality coating, as is the Centric or the Power Stop when coated is offered.

Edit: Can you post some part numbers, have you checked out for any "scratch and dent" OE?

Always new never had any luck with reman when it’s reman the brand on the box or caliper shell doesn’t matter anymore. I only get new or have the local guy in town that I know and trust rebuild them or have him give me the kit and I rebuild them that’s the only way to go.

New are expensive and obviously the best option but cripes it would be over 2 grand. If time were not an issue I would rebuild clean used ones. rebush them and fit new pistons and have them plated or M blue powder coated.
From the ones you list they all should be satisfactory except the Cardone which have a very poor rep. The Raybestos are known for a good quality coating, as is the Centric or the Power Stop when coated is offered.

Edit: Can you post some part numbers, have you checked out for any "scratch and dent" OE?
So, OE new are obviously best option, but they are going for around $401 per caliper for front. Rear ATE are $130 for left and $172 for right. ATE is OE supplier for single piston calipers to BMW. That is not bad, though without carrier which obviously is OK to get used. Take into consideration that this is just project bcs. I want to do it, not bcs. I need to do it, so shelling out some $1,500 for calipers is really not smart use of money. These current one did not show sign of fading on track, let alone on street. But, I am thinking much bigger rotor as well slightly bigger pad in front, and actually sizable difference in rear (E90 is known to eat rear pads on track like crazy bcs. "e-diff" function, though with xDrive it is bit less) would allow me to run regular pads on track. That is my thinking, who knows, I am just playing with stuff so we will see. Those that did switch from 335 to 328 are saying there is big difference in braking considering that 328 packs some 250-300lbs less. Since all parts are bolt on, no need for any improvisations, seems like interesting project, but not one worth $1,500, again considering current brakes are potent too.
Thing is used ones on eBay are almost as expensive as remanufactured ones after core is returned. That is why I am asking you guys that dealt with remanufactured ones. It seems easier to go directly with remanufactured ones than getting used, doing rebuilt. BMW had (not sure whether they still do) rebuilt kit that was going $80 per caliper.
Checked for scratched and dented and could not find.
Centric does not offer coated caliper, Raybestos and Power Stop do (Power stop are already painted in red, a cheap looking paint by the way).
Painting in closest to Estoril Blue or dirty bronze is a must!
Here are BMW part numbers:
Front L: 34116773201
Front R: 34116773202
Rear L: 34216769101
Rear R: 34216769102

Appreciate your input!

Last edited:
So, OE new are obviously best option, but they are going for around $401 per caliper for front. Rear ATE are $130 for left and $172 for right. ATE is OE supplier for single piston calipers to BMW. That is not bad, though without carrier which obviously is OK to get used. Take into consideration that this is just project bcs. I want to do it, not bcs. I need to do it, so shelling out some $1,500 for calipers is really not smart use of money. These current one did not show sign of fading on track, let alone on street. But, I am thinking much bigger rotor as well slightly bigger pad in front, and actually sizable difference in rear (E90 is known to eat rear pads on track like crazy bcs. "e-diff" function, though with xDrive it is bit less) would allow me to run regular pads on track. That is my thinking, who knows, I am just playing with stuff so we will see. Those that did switch from 335 to 328 are saying there is big difference in braking considering that 328 packs some 250-300lbs less. Since all parts are bolt on, no need for any improvisations, seems like interesting project, but not one worth $1,500, again considering current brakes are potent too.
Thing is used ones on eBay are almost as expensive as remanufactured ones after core is returned. That is why I am asking you guys that dealt with remanufactured ones. It seems easier to go directly with remanufactured ones than getting used, doing rebuilt. BMW had (not sure whether they still do) rebuilt kit that was going $80 per caliper.
Checked for scratched and dented and could not find.
Centric does not offer coated caliper, Raybestos and Power Stop do (Power stop are already painted in red, a cheap looking paint by the way).
Painting in closest to Estoril Blue or dirty bronze is a must!
Here are BMW part numbers:

Appreciate your input!
Go find some used non-rusty ones and rebuild them yourself.

Take into consideration that this is just project bcs. I want to do it, not bcs. I need to do it, so shelling out some $1,500 for calipers is really not smart use of money.
Good and honestly I think you should do it. ( money and experience)

Since time isn't critical and this is your project, I recommend tearing down and evaluating what you currently have first. You may have a pleasant surprise and the cores are in great shape and very buildable.

Good and honestly I think you should do it. ( money and experience)

Since time isn't critical and this is your project, I recommend tearing down and evaluating what you currently have first. You may have a pleasant surprise and the cores are in great shape and very buildable.
From performance and functionality perspective, current ones are really good.
But, you know when you have option to do project that is not prohibitively expensive, why not?
Current set up is good as allows me to run 16" wheels in winter with snow tires 205/55 R16. That is really, really good set up when I ski and drive over mountain passes during snow storms. Vehicle goes through snow like a razor. That set up would have to go out as with 335 brakes minimum size is 17 inch. So, I would have to go for another set of wheels, probably 18" for summer, and keep current 17" that I have for summer as winter wheels. Which is fine as 18" would be more appropriate on track.
Another option is keep current calipers and get bracket from E90 330i which would allow me to run 330mm rotor that was available on 330i. However, not sure why would I go with that and not just 335 in that case.

FWIW I use the rebuilt calipers from NAPA. The quality appears a little better than Advance Auto as they were painted black and the Advance one was bare metal. So far so good. I had to replace one on my 2000 Mustang GT because it set for a while and was stuck when I bought the car a little over 3 years ago.

FWIW I use the rebuilt calipers from NAPA. The quality appears a little better than Advance Auto as they were painted black and the Advance one was bare metal. So far so good. I had to replace one on my 2000 Mustang GT because it set for a while and was stuck when I bought the car a little over 3 years ago.
Thanx for info. I just checked. They have it for 335, coated.

I've ordered from this online store in Latvia, handler.lv.

Their customer service was top notch and so I recommend them. They also accept Paypal.

I ordered from them because they have better pricing than FCP for OE BMW parts. On my previous order, I chose a supplier with a 20 day lead time and it took about a month to ship. You can select shorter lead times but it'll cost a bit more.

If you create an account with them and send them an email, they'll remove European VAT from their pricing.

For these 4 BMW part numbers:

Total for parts with a 19 day lead time would be 794.54EUR
UPS Saver shipping to Colorado springs is: 62.03EUR

Grand total: 856.57EUR or $1041.08USD
so a bit cheaper than the $401US/per caliper you were previously quoted for OE

Prices with VAT removed:
Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 9.45.24 PM.png

Shipping to Colorado Springs:
Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 9.36.19 PM.png

Last edited:
I can find all sorts of new ones like from Brembo in Europe but not here, I would pull them and strip them and see what you have. These are a real easy rebuild and you can get them powder coated in the color you want.

Reman, nice coating.

Thanx. I will probably go that route. Though I just remembered I am from Europe and whole my family is still there :)
Will see what shipping options I can do it.
Or I can rebuild them. I have time.

I've ordered from this online store in Latvia, handler.lv.

Their customer service was top notch and so I recommend them. They also accept Paypal.

I ordered from them because they have better pricing than FCP for OE BMW parts. On my previous order, I chose a supplier with a 20 day lead time and it took about a month to ship. You can select shorter lead times but it'll cost a bit more.

If you create an account with them and send them an email, they'll remove European VAT from their pricing.

For these 4 BMW part numbers:

Total for parts with a 19 day lead time would be 794.54EUR
UPS Saver shipping to Colorado springs is: 62.03EUR

Grand total: 856.57EUR or $1041.08USD
so a bit cheaper than the $401US/per caliper you were previously quoted for OE

Prices with VAT removed:
View attachment 37034

Shipping to Colorado Springs:
View attachment 37032
Thanx, but does not make sense. Rear ones ATE are much cheaper here new.

Ok, update.
So I decided to go bit better than E90 335.
E90 328 I have had an performance option with 6 pot Brembo in front and 2 pot Brembo in the back. ECU was accordingly coded for those brakes bcs. EBD. Usually people with 328 that go 335 brakes code to performance as it adjusts for much larger pads in the back.
But, 6 pots have an issues on the track with its ceramic pistons. There are upgrades but expensive. Also, they are like 15lbs per caliper though rotors are 336X24mm, smaller than I intended (348X30mm).
Anyway, I came up with different plan. Get 4 pot Brembo from 335 F30 (2012-2018) with 340X30mm rotors which are similar weight as E90 single pot rotors.
Rear calipers from performance option 2 pot Brembo with 324X22mm rotors.
I put them to check everything and realized my current wheels for every day use do not clear side of front caliper. Track wheels (from E90 330) clear everything. I guess I need some used wheels:). Will fully install in the spring.
Front on regular 312X24mm rotor:
02A564BD-E788-48FC-8CB8-AAFC57456EEA.jpeg

Rear on regular 300X20mm rotor:
FFC6638E-9072-4201-9203-130AC6A4C172.jpeg

FCP euro shows same pad for front of both 335i and 328i e90.

How is this possible? Am I missing something? I'm not a brake expert

Back