Reloading shotshells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone doing it? I reload metallic and I'm thinking about doing the 12 gauge too, but don't know squat about it. How much of a hassle is it vs. pistol cartridges? Most of my powders are dual use, so I just need the press and shell components.

It isn't worth it unless you shoot trap and skeet.

If you can pick up other peoples' empties to reuse that is even better as I have known guys when I was a kid that my father hung out with that became obsessive about retrieving their brass that they almost loose track of where their bird they just shot fell.

Reloading becomes more fun than the actual cost savings themselves as you gain flexibility that doesn't even come close to existing in the ammo shelf at the hardware store.

If you want to load .223 Remington down to much lower levels to make it a very quiet load for smaller critters at shorter range I'd be there are reipies that could fill BITOG. Then you can just bring the brass home and reload them.

But beware: you have to follow tested loads otherwise you can damage your firearm. For example, if you wanted to load .223 Rem down to say, 1200 fps with a heavier bullet, you'd do something like use a slow burning propellant that has case-filling properties. Then you'd have the ultimate quiet load that would be very economical to shoot and could never be purchased.

Powder AND primers have burn characteristics that have to be followed. From what I recall, Green Dot would be a very mild case filling power with a slow burn, but Bullseye would be a fast burning power would be for trying to get maximum fps in a short pistol barrel. (These are just examples and the specs may have changed if these powders even exist anymore if I even recall correctly).

So don't focus on saving money with this, it is more of a hobby and "money saved" doesn't equate with how many different loads you can do to customize everything your gun spits out.

Sometimes, handloading is absolutely the only way to shrink groups at the rifle range, as you can tune the case, powder and primer, along with bullet weight and burn characteristics for a given barrel length and twist rate. Even the powder column comes into play with the primer, even bullet seat depth to exactly touch the start of the rifling.

You'd have to figure out what you want to do and research the best names in the business to build your loading bench around. This is almost a hobby that has nothing to do with shooting itself.

Prepare to have fun without even shooting the stuff off, and be prepared to get a bookshelf down into the basement and scour used books for reloading manuals.

Trim your cases!!!

Last edited:
For the cheap number 7 birdshot it's a fair amount of work to save little money, unless if you shoot 410. If you shoot buckshot or slugs then the savings are there.

One thing I've noticed is that one doesn't play with the reciepe for shotgun. You pretty much load 'em as the manual says, and you have to load according to what hull you have--you buy wads to match the hull, and you load powder according to both.

Shotgun is easier to reload than brass. You could save $ reloading .410, 16 or 28 gauge, but not 12 and 20's that are cheaper on the shelf.

Oh, I'm very familiar with reloading metallic-been doing it for years. And yes, I would load shot shells the same way; NEVER deviate from listed load data. I think the crimping process is what I'm most curious about. I want to recycle my shells to load 00, as the buying frenzy around here leaves mostly birdshot on the shelf. I'm stocked on 5.56 and pistol ammo but my 12 is a very recent acquisition.

turbodiesel, see if there is some economical way to trade services with a guy that reloads shotshells.

Especially since you reload 5.56 (.223), people would probably be very glad to know you nowadays. You could probably make money off of it if people dropped off the empties.

For handloading 00 in reasonable batches I think the basic go-to company for dies, hoppers, and presses is Lee.

They even had models when I was a kid where you almost could handload at an old kitchen table for shotshells.

There is no point in "stocking up" by handloading 00, put together a batch of 100 and when you need more, recycle your empties for another batch of 100.

Falken has it....it's not economical to handload 12/20 gauge anymore.

I shot a lot of skeet when younger (12 YO) and used a Lee loader for what seemed like years to load 125 shells per week. Later, I spent my allowance money on a MEC 600 Jr (single stage) that Is till use occasionally to this day... although a single stage, I could load in excess of 100 rounds per hour which satisfied my shooting needs. The Lee loader could, on my best days, produce about 25 rounds per hourn but it may be all you need for loading buckshot.....#4 is my favorite.

Good luck.....any kind of handloading is rewarding and a great hobby!

Note: if you do end up handloading for others, make SURE they sign a waiver releasing you from any and all liability for the use of your loads....that is not saying your loads would/could be sub-par, but it's difficult to ascertain your "clients" firearms are in a satisfactory, safe condition to fire any load.

I'd hit up youtube and watch some videos. Whatever model you're interested in most likely has a full tutorial, which should also step you through the process. AFAIK, the crimp is pretty easily done, I think all you have to do is sorta bend the plastic over a bit and then the press does the rest (but it's been a while since I've looked).

Ok, thanks guys, especially Falken. The buying here is so crazy that wally world even put what little they have left behind the glass case. Used to be that 12 and 20 gauge were the two types of ammo that you could count on helping yourself to, but not anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back