Relief Valve, better at the dome end or front end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
front end - end that makes contact with the engine screw-on
dome end - the "butt" end.

My guess is that it doesn't matter in matter in most cases but this is about design superiority and theory.

It seems to me the front end design is superior, so far superior that it's a no-brainer! The front-end design means that the filtration media is bypassed entirely.

in the dome-end design the rushing of the oil means some of the trapped particles are pry'd lose and gets recirculated into the engine.

So,

why are dome-end designs still used?

so do u choose ye Filters with that consideration in mind?

Front is best. Although when the bypass opens there is still pressure against the element tending to hold dirt in place and keeping it from washing off unless the filter is very dirty.
I don't worry about it if the filter I use is a good one, but front is best of the two places.

If open end makes you happy, then go for it. Around here Gary Allen has said it's no biggie either way. I respect his opinion.

I do happen to like the MC design for Ford, but that has as much do to with the value price for the quality construction as anything.

I think most filters in normal applications in a normal climate are rarely in bypass anyway. Anyone remember Gary's bypass test where his van didn't show enough pressure differential even when cold to hit the filter's bypass?

Originally Posted By: labman
Maybe, maybe not. If filters seldom bypass, why do some blow up without a bypass?

Are you sure you're not thinking of the pump bypass, not the media bypass?

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Maybe, maybe not. If filters seldom bypass, why do some blow up without a bypass?

That would be my thought. You can rip or collapse the media if the bypass, for some odd reason, didn't open, but you shouldn't be able to develop the high pressure that blows the can.

Ford engine division insists on the open end bypass. Others do not. The alleged theory is that any silt that drops out of suspension would be swept into the engine "en mass". Now this school of thought has merit in concept. If one has a dome end bypass anything that is going to drop out will either reside on the exterior surface on a horizontal mount, or the bottom in a vertical mount.

The thing is, except for SW here on this Auto-Rx run, and one time when I put in something like VSOT over a 13 month OCI, I've yet to see anything in a filter. I think that there is little to nothing to sink out.

Now one could say "Well, naturally you don't find anything. It's all swept into the engine".

One would have to assume that bypass valve action would have to be fairly common for that to keep all the filters that we've seen opened so spik&span over the years here. My experience and observations are that bypass activity is rare.

As with all things ..YMMV.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

I am thinking of the ones where somebody put a filter without a bypass on an engine without a bypass. Also the haplas Ecore on the Corvette with the blocked off bypass.

Ah ..the infamous Bowtie incident. Poor guy. I felt for him.

I've installed Chevy filters on my 4.0 remotely. They were dual installations ..so it probably worked out fine. It was my ignorance before BITOG.

The information age really has been amazing. Think of all the learning curves that can be avoided by so many who know just enough ..or possess just enough skill to get themselves into trouble
21.gif

I knew from the 70's that Chevy had a 2 quart oil filter. I DID NOT KNOW that Ford also had one. When ordering a dual mount, I saw that Jeg's offered a Chevy mount ...so I ordered it instead of the Ford. BIGGER IS BETTER, right? Never pondered the bypass things (what's a bypass valve?
54.gif
), I went on as confident as you can be.

I dodged a bullet by dumb coincidental luck. I probably could have created my own internet myth if not for my curiosity about all the hubbub about bypass valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back