Released! New Diesel Oil Field Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shell Rotella T 15W-40 vs. Amsoil AME 15W-40

Findings substantiated by Used Oil Analysis (UOA) and Engine Teardown.

Non sponsor link. Check with one of our Amsoil sponsors for the information

Last edited by a moderator:
But look at the posted OCIs on this board most syn users change out the oil at dino oil intervals so I find it hard to see any value or advantages with syn oil. Some of the uoas do not show much benefit with syn .

I've only personally used syn in my old Mercedes to help with cold starts in winter-BUT, I'm going to put my Motor Guard on the '06 Ram to cut down on soot buildup, probably going to run Delvac 1-rolls of TP are a LOT cheaper!!

very cool report! IMO, synthetic has always been worth it in severe duty service. I'll bet alot of turbos woulda been saved had everyone used synthetic back in the 80's when turbos were popular.

Shell Rotella T 15W-40 is a conventional oil. Why do they comparing their synthetic to a conventional oil? They should have tested against Shell's Synthetic 5W-40.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Shell Rotella T 15W-40 is a conventional oil. Why do they comparing their synthetic to a conventional oil? They should have tested against Shell's Synthetic 5W-40.

It's like Joe the friendly butcher's two-pound thumb. It always helps to tip the scale...

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I've only personally used syn in my old Mercedes to help with cold starts in winter-BUT, I'm going to put my Motor Guard on the '06 Ram to cut down on soot buildup, probably going to run Delvac 1-rolls of TP are a LOT cheaper!!
TP is pricey when it comes to adding $6.00 + per qt oil as top off when changing the TP.

I wish they would have shown the wear results form the Rotella.

Quote:
Prior to discovering
AMSOIL, the conventional lubricants Nordic used would
shear out of viscosity-grade rapidly and need to be
changed at approximately 200 hours of service. Upon
switching to AMSOIL Synthetic 15W-40 Diesel and
Marine Oil, Nordic Waste increased the average drain
interval for its trucks from approximately 200 hours to
nearly 1,000 hours.

In that type of climate, a synthetic would almost be mandatory IMO. Minnesota gets super cold.

Originally Posted By: sunfire

I think Amsoil was trying to target the crowd who hold the belief that motor oil is motor oil, it all does the same thing, but for some reason some motor oils cost more than others?

It just goes to show that even though a synthetic costs more, there is proven long term value over conventional oil.

Originally Posted By: buster
I wish they would have shown the wear results form the Rotella.

Quote:
Prior to discovering
AMSOIL, the conventional lubricants Nordic used would
shear out of viscosity-grade rapidly and need to be
changed at approximately 200 hours of service. Upon
switching to AMSOIL Synthetic 15W-40 Diesel and
Marine Oil, Nordic Waste increased the average drain
interval for its trucks from approximately 200 hours to
nearly 1,000 hours.

In that type of climate, a synthetic would almost be mandatory IMO. Minnesota gets super cold.

Yes it does. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back