Reignition after Coasting in a diesel better key or bump start

With the compression ratio of a diesel I dont think you are doing your gears or your clutch any favors by bump starting it. And unless you are drifting for 10 or 20 miles I dont think you are saving any fuel.

Hi
Coasting without engine running means no servo assist to the brakes. The miniscule amount of fuel saved is just not worth it.

Good afternoon,

I turn off the ignition in a 1990 toyota corolla 1.8 diesel and coast for fuel economy, is it better to restart the engine with the key or with bumpstarting in third gear?

Thanks
Bump start in 1st gear not 3rd. In addition you should consider coasting uphill as well. I've read that you'll save even more fuel.

I would worry about the steering locking up. Also, if your steering and brakes are power-assisted, you'd lose them with the engine turned off.

Good afternoon,

I turn off the ignition in a 1990 toyota corolla 1.8 diesel and coast for fuel economy, is it better to restart the engine with the key or with bumpstarting in third gear?

Thanks
The penny you MAY save on fuel will turn into $$$ with all the extra strain on clutches if bump started or on the starter if using the key.

Down shift so it will suck un burned fuel from cylinders and put it back in the tank 👀
(just trying to fit an answer with the question) …

Diesels don’t have a throttle plate. Their pumping loses while coasting are extremely low in comparison with a gasoline engine.

You’re not saving any fuel by doing this.

The increased wear on starter, clutch, synchros are far more expensive than the fuel you save.

The risk of driving without brake boost, or steering assist, or the ability to accelerate quickly to avoid a problem, make this an extraordinarily dumb idea.

Not to mention that coasting is illegal. Not sure if it is really enforceable but it is illegal. We are all smart before we discover that physics take over without warning

Don

Back