Regular synthetic oil vs Marine synthetic oil use

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAL

I'm thinking of purchasing a Mercury 50HP outboard four-stroke motor. Was told I can run a regular 10W-30 oil. Don't I have to run a marine oil?

Same thing with my Honda PWC. Can I run, let's say, Amsoil 0W-30 oil in it?

I use specifically Amoil products in my cars.

I don't know about all Marine oils, but the Pennzoil 15W-40 has more corrosion inhibitors then regular engine oil because there is more chance of condensation getting inside a marine engine, then a auto engine. And because a boat usually sits for a long period between uses0.

Run what Mercury says to run. That 50HP motor is expensive. Why be cheap on the oil?

In my research people are telling me a 'marine' oil is not much different from a conventional oil. Yes there is fuel dilution and water more so in marine engine and marine oil specifically is made to combat this, but a high quality oil such as the Series 2000 Amsoil 0W-30 can be just as equal or better in some respects.

If the motor is run at moderate speed (less trolling or idling) there is less chance of fuel dilution. Same for water in oil. If the motor is run at operating temperature for long periods, the water should burn off.

Why not use Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 oil then???

I can't speak for other oil formulators, but when Amsoil puts "marine" on the label, the oil will contain extra rust and corrosion inhibitors and additives to deal with water as well as fuel dilution. It is true that a diesel oil will do pretty well in these conditions, but I would not make a blanket statement like "'marine' oil is not much different from a conventional oil"
Amsoil is actually the manufacturer and bottler for one or more of the famous marine engine name oil brands.

Amsoil Marine Products

Amsoil Marine 10W-30

Amsoil Marine 10W-40

Marine oils (the better ones) will be rated FC-W (four cycle, water) and can maintain lubricity better when contaminated with water. I have an '06 bowrider with a 190hp Mercruiser sterndrive & the recommended oil for it is Mercruiser semi-synthetic 25W-40 marine oil. I used it for the first few oil changes, but it's hard to find in my area so I've been using Caterpillar DEO, Rotella T, or Delo 400 dino HDEO, all in 15W-40. Engine runs just as smooth & just as quiet as with the Merc oil and HDEO's are easy to find. I would recommend any of these for use in your outboard.

Originally Posted By: TAL
In my research people are telling me a 'marine' oil is not much different from a conventional oil. Yes there is fuel dilution and water more so in marine engine and marine oil specifically is made to combat this, but a high quality oil such as the Series 2000 Amsoil 0W-30 can be just as equal or better in some respects.

If the motor is run at moderate speed (less trolling or idling) there is less chance of fuel dilution. Same for water in oil. If the motor is run at operating temperature for long periods, the water should burn off.

Not a hdeo oil

I'm thinking of purchasing a Mercury 50HP outboard four-stroke motor. Was told I can run a regular 10W-30 oil. Don't I have to run a marine oil?

Same thing with my Honda PWC. Can I run, let's say, Amsoil 0W-30 oil in it?

I use specifically Amoil products in my cars.
The FC-W oils are fortified for marine use. I had an 04 Johnson J-140 (Suzuki DF-140 rebadged). I bought the Suzuki FC-W oil to comply with the warranty. FC-W can be found reasonably if you shop carefully with the power of the web. Motor oils have come a long way in the last 2-3 decades. The other side of the coin is that sterndrive, and inboard engines lived very long lives before the FC-W spec was invented. I run Chevron Delo 15W40 in my 07 Volvo Penta engine. Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 when I can't find the Chevron. My personal preference is the above two for the sterndrive, but FC-W for the outboards. Just my preference!

Other than the salt-fog test, I don't see the FC-W sequence as being all that hard for a good HDEO and many racing grades. Maybe FC-W keeps folks from running PathMark 10W-30 in their 454s, but nobody did that before FC-W showed up anyway.

Interestingly, Gulfpride 10W-40 is on the FC-W approved oil list.

So much for avoiding VIIs!

Well, there are a couple of distinct categories when we talk about boat engines as you all know.
1. The sterndrives and inboards. Based on common all purpose diesel and gas engine blocks.
2. 2 cycle outboard engines, most with oil injection today.
3. 4 cycle outboard engines, quite new on the market.

The salt and water sturdiness is common to all, so is the prolonged high rpm, but otherwise they have different requirements.

Of course you don't have to run volvo V8s with the volvo 15w50 mineral or 30 synthetic, but they do need tough racing-like oils. They do not need long-life sissy oils like you would use in a new car.
Diesels are the same, hard working and tough oils.
New outboards are more engineering borderline engines and I would not risk using anything without the right FCW grade.

If you are in florida and use the boat once a month use marine tough oil, a daily driver in a freshwater lake use anyting hwith the right viscosity on the inboards. Always change at the right interval.

I worked for a Mercury Marine and Honda dealer a few years ago and we changed the engine oil with Mobile 1. Never had a problem as long as the owner changed the oil at the correct intervals.

No need to spend big bucks on oil for your OB. Any good synthetic or conventional oil that you would feel good about having in your car will do.

I have a 2003 Yamaha F-115, presently I am useing Havoline DS 10w-30. In the past I have used Mobil 1, Pennsoil, QS, and Supertech. When my ob was built their was no "Marine" rated 4-str oil, so why should I worry about it.

Originally Posted By: Steve S

Not a hdeo oil

what would make a hdeo in your opinion?

I have a 2004 Yamaha F90 Four Stroke outboard and have used Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Oil in her since her 10-hour break in.

My owner's manual (page 1-13) did not state anything about using a "marine formulated" oil. In fact it just states an API "SE,SF,SG,SH,or SJ" rated oil 10W-30 or 10W-40 depending on the temperatures you operate the boat in. The Pennzoil is rated API "SM" and I have 478 trouble-free hours on her - My boat is the one that stays at the "camp" on the bayou so EVERYONE uses my boat...and my gas! One other CRAZY thing is that the owner's manual states that the oil filter cartridge is to be changed every 200-hours by the DEALER. Are they NUTS??
Spend the $14 every 100-hours AND DO IT YOURSELF!

Having done the oil change 5 times already, let me give you a pointer. If you try to remove the oil filter from the engine, even after letting it sit for 30 minutes, it is a big mess, you will spend 30 minutes cleaning up spilled oil! Do this - Drain your oil, then take a nail or a punch and puncture the top of the filter. Take a Mardi-Gras cup (For those of you NOT from Louisiana - just use a disposable plastic container!) hold it under the filter while you turn it 180 degrees and drain the oil from the hole you punched into the cup. You will still have a little cleaning to do but nothing like the mess I had during my 10-hour initial change!

Watch for the sales and rebates on the Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic Oils, I think I've cashed in on two or three of these rebate deals.

I completed my 500-hour oil change this morning on my 2004 Yamaha F90, used the same Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic I've been using since the 10-hour break in period -- No problems at all with this lube. I also changed the lower unit oil....I also noticed my anode fin was getting pitted, maybe at 600-hours I'll change it.

My nephews used the boat the last two weekends pulling a tube and knee boarding, hence 20 running hours in two weeks, Oh and about $80 in gas!....I guess I'm a good uncle.

My 2001 Honda BF115 outboard recommends automotive oil and I have been using Mobil 1 10W30 and never had a problem. However, I do like the Amsoil product and will likely switch over at next service interval.

Jared - How many hours do you have on the Honda? I like the Hondas, they are bullet proof, the only thing I didn't like is the weight....oh, and the price! Ouch, those puppies are expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back