Regular M1 vs. M1 EP ?

Isn't EP per PDS is thinner at 100c than regular (like 10.3 vs 11.1)? For that reason alone I am not so sure to consider it a no-brainer against regular (even if same price)

EP has more pao has well... Nothing wrong at all with regular M-1.

Candidly I think Mobil 1 was a tier all by itself back in the 70s through the 80s and through most if not all of the 90s...

Now it's top tier = Mobil 1 EP

2nd tier = Mobil 1

3rd tier = Mobil Super-synthetic

4th tier = Mobil Super

And... Trailer park tier = Mobil Special :LOL:
This is Mobil 1 there are about 759 other versions or roughly the same synthetic they sell.

super long drain = 15k+ as required by many european long life oil specs
There are a number of long drain oils, Amsoil comes to mind. Never heard of it being referred to or marketed as a "super long drain oil, although in certain applications you Could use it as such. They've even mentioned going as far as 25k but never used the word super. In this age of great engine oils 15k is not really super long at all.

Isn't EP per PDS is thinner at 100c than regular (like 10.3 vs 11.1)? For that reason alone I am not so sure to consider it a no-brainer against regular (even if same price)
I went for EP high mileage 5w30 which was on sale for half price. I believe it's thicker and seemed like a reasonable choice for my 200k ls V8.

There are a number of long drain oils, Amsoil comes to mind. Never heard of it being referred to or marketed as a "super long drain oil, although in certain applications you Could use it as such. They've even mentioned going as far as 25k but never used the word super. In this age of great engine oils 15k is not really super long at all.
I’ve taken amsoil SS to 25k... black stone said to go longer

I thought I would add : Majority of driving are short trips of 10 miles or less . Not sure if M1 or M1 EP would be better for severe service OCI's ?

In all honesty I see no reason not to use EP instead of regular Mobil 1. For the way the oil is priced EP should be a no brainer for most people. I however prefer to pay a bit more and use ESP. IMO ESP is the best of what XOM offers. Opinions vary and people have their preferences.

Too bad it's so expensive to buy the 0W40 ESP... Only a few places to buy it and for my 10-qt sump, looking at over $100 per change just for oil.

I can run 5W30 at less than half the cost. Be nice if Walmart or some other vendor start carrying 5-qt jugs of the 0W40 ESP! But I assume demand is just too low.

Too bad it's so expensive to buy the 0W40 ESP... Only a few places to buy it and for my 10-qt sump, looking at over $100 per change just for oil.

I can run 5W30 at less than half the cost. Be nice if Walmart or some other vendor start carrying 5-qt jugs of the 0W40 ESP! But I assume demand is just too low.
If they have a NAPA near you, get on their email list. They run ESP on sale a few times a year, you might be able to score it in 0W40 in the $5-$5.50 price range.

There's no point running M1EP if I'm draining at 7,500-mile intervals. M1 vanilla is rated at 10,000 miles and fine for most drivers.

Back